My New Star Wars Home Theater - Death Star Hangar

A little more progress, just about done with the walls and details. I once again had to take several design liberties. I want to get the speakers mounted today if possible so I can use the room despite still needing to paint.

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

AWESOME!!!!!!!

This is absolutely fantastic.

Color me impressed!!!!!Ben

My reaction to those pics:

View attachment 481598

Thanks guys!

Not a lot got done today. I did get some 1/8" paneling and decided to cover the inside door. Having a traditional two panel door just doesn't fit the room. I was thinking it would be cool to have one of those door size posters but make it look like a Death Star corridor!

I'll paint it gray for now then figure out what to do with it later.

IMG_0535.JPG

I was able to mount all 7 speakers and test some new paint. I wanted to go a little darker than what I initially had, I'm glad I did, color looks great.

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

I have some minor finishing work left, then I can get the painting done. But before that, I couldn't resist watching ESB!

IMG_0534.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like you are coming along nicely!

Have you taken any steps to deal with sound absorption in the theater? It looks like you are primarily using MDF to build the panels. While it will look really cool, you could end up with sound reflection issues. If you aren't already, you could trade out some of the hard panels for soft ones that absorb sound as opposed to reflecting it. These are usually at the front of the room close to the screen. You can see this done in churches and large conference rooms.

I have built a few theaters over the years and some times it is not an issue, but it could be if there are too many hard surfaces in a room.

PM me if you want to discuss.

-Eric

Re: My New Star Wars Home Theater - Death Star Hanger

I also worked on the two slotted wall pieces that will be back lit. I used 1/2" MDF for those.

View attachment 478105

To illuminate these I am using two, 4' LED light strips. Lowe's sells these but they aren't cheap, $40 per strip. I wanted to use 4 strips per panel, but just wasn't going to spend that kind of money. There may be other alternatives to this type of lighting, I just went with what was available locally. I also wanted LEDs so I didn't have to change bulbs and to reduce the heat.

Since I am only using two lights per panel, I decided to cover the wall area with aluminum foil to help with light reflection. I tested the panel against a white wall and with the foil and the foil did help reflect the light once the panel was installed. The lights run off a light switch so that I can turn them on as soon as I enter the room. The good thing about putting this theater room upstairs was that I had easy access to the attic. So I was able to run an extension cord through the ceiling to power both panels with one switch. I was able to completely hide all wires, so I am happy with how it came out.

View attachment 478106

View attachment 478107
Would you possibly have some exact measurements or files for those panels? I am thinking about creating a custom light/wall decoration for a large wall I have at home, and this came to mind.
I wouldn't need exact numbers (because I'm sizing things according to what I need) but more so the relationship of sizes of the different holes.

I figure you start with a pattern of circles first and connect 2 or 3 of them? But what spacing? I tried to mock it up in Photoshop but I can't get the pattern to look quite right.

I took a little time off to hit Phoenix ComiCon, but I was able to start painting the walls. Sorry for the crappy photos, was in a hurry.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Last edited:
It says Docking Bay 94 on the entry door!

"Thats no moon . . . Its Azheat's KICK ASS HOME THEATER!!!!!" Awesome work!

Ha, thanks guys! Been hard at work on this, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

In addition to painting today I wanted to add some thin strips to the bottom of 3 of the panels. I found these at Lowes and they look great. The paint looks awesome, really ties everything together.

3.JPG

image1a.JPG

image2a.JPG

I really hope to have all the painting done tomorrow.

Last edited:
Re: My New Star Wars Home Theater - Death Star Hanger

Would you possibly have some exact measurements or files for those panels? I am thinking about creating a custom light/wall decoration for a large wall I have at home, and this came to mind.
I wouldn't need exact numbers (because I'm sizing things according to what I need) but more so the relationship of sizes of the different holes.

I figure you start with a pattern of circles first and connect 2 or 3 of them? But what spacing? I tried to mock it up in Photoshop but I can't get the pattern to look quite right.

I also had a hard time finding anything so I had to wing it. I looked at a bunch of photos and came up with what you see below. My light panels are 35.5" wide by 8' tall. I think they came out great, but well after I was in to this I realized two things that bothered me:

1) I made the middle dividing line too small

2) I made the line above the bottom holes and the line below the top holes too small

Seeing this now, I would have made those 3 lines larger and reduced the size of the holes by a few inches. It was my first attempt though, so I can live with these results.

Hope the image below helps.

Plans.jpg

I was finally able to get all the painting done, what a relief! I installed all the vent covers and painted the screen housing, cord hiders, and control panel black. This looks so much better than I imagined. I still have a few things left before this project is done, got some ideas for the front wall, a DVD cabinet, and some pipes I want to run across the ceiling. The best thing about getting to this point is I can FINALLY use it to watch movies, play XBOX, and start moving all my lifesized figures, cabinets, and collectibles up.

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

Looks really awesome.

What about a beamer housing looking like a tie-bomber or the tie from vader. I think it would look great in your hangar.

Looks like you are coming along nicely!

Have you taken any steps to deal with sound absorption in the theater? It looks like you are primarily using MDF to build the panels. While it will look really cool, you could end up with sound reflection issues. If you aren't already, you could trade out some of the hard panels for soft ones that absorb sound as opposed to reflecting it. These are usually at the front of the room close to the screen. You can see this done in churches and large conference rooms.

I have built a few theaters over the years and some times it is not an issue, but it could be if there are too many hard surfaces in a room.

PM me if you want to discuss.

-Eric

Whilst his walls are MDF, the fact that he has added details to create a patterned surface has to be better than the countless rooms I've seen that have smooth plaster walls. The greeblies used on the wall detail will actually aid in some (limited due to their depth) diffusion reducing the annoying slap echoes that plague many HTs.

I agree that some absorption is needed in a room like this.

I did the first 1/3rd from floor to ceiling in my own room and the bottom half of the remaining 2/3rds. The really cool part is when I clap my hands at the screen end, and all I hear is a dull thud. The usual sharper reflections of such a sound we are used to hearing are not there and it sounds a little odd at first. What this all means though is that the only echoes I will hear at that end of the room will be those coming from the screen speakers. As a result, dialogue is extremely intelligible, even at low levels.

I have added some diffusion, but I do feel more would be better. I would love to have the side panels laser cut from full sheets and then place them in my room as both a form of sound treatment and visual or themed piece.

It is good that the OP is doing a nice dark grey as well.

Thanks for the input. I still have to move my 6 Ikea Detolf cases in the room along with my 8 lifesized figures, so that will affect the sound as well. I just need to get everything into the room, which I hope to have done this week.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back