My (mostly) finished Tomenosuke build

CreechMagoo

Hi everyone, Im happy to finally show of my mostly finished, personalized Tomenosuke PKD build. Outside appearance is where I want it the only thing I have left that I want to do is install a metal cylinder which I'm currently waiting on, but here are some photos with descriptions of what I did. And if there are any more in depth questions about how I did a certain thing please feel free to ask.

First off the case: Its a standard pelican case which I inlayed a custom Steyr logo into and added some themed stickers. I used Pelican's custom foam service to cut out the space for the gun and dummy rounds.
IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5180.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg

For the Dummy rounds I dunked them in Birchwood Casey's brass black for a couple seconds and then peeled it back off and "pocket polished" them by just putting them in a canvas bag and shaking it really hard for 20 minutes to beat them up and give them a bit of a shine.
IMG_5183.jpeg

For the blaster itself I wanted to personalize it to how Id want it to look which is a darker more aggressive finish. I wanted to get as many real parts on it so there is an original binding post from an ee-8 field radio, and an original scope knob from a Weaver scope. I also added a steel barrel, darker amber grips, and a home made front post which I milled to fit the contour of the barrel. I also modified some of the base parts like darkening the base plate, and stripping the paint of the sight rod and darkening it with Birchwood Casey's aluminum black.

IMG_5184.jpeg

(close up of binding post and scope knob)
IMG_5185.jpeg

IMG_5186.jpeg

(close up of re-colored sight rod)
IMG_5187.jpeg

(my custom contoured front post)
IMG_5188.jpeg

(darkened base plate)
IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5191.jpeg

Overall this project was really daunting as the Tomenosuke is an expensive piece of hardware to begin with but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I also made a few mistakes along the way which luckily enough ended up giving the gun a bit more character such as screwing up the blueing on the barrel which ended up making it look heat worn. My philosophy for the whole build is I wanted every part to be identifiable as its own piece with a different finish and level of wear to give the gun a look of complexity. I don't think I'll ever be truly finished with it but it finally looks the way I envisioned it and I'm very happy with where its at.

Last edited:
Lovely work! I really love how the barrel came out, that "heat damaged" effect looks wonderful. Definitely one of those happy little mistakes. Weathering the bullets was also a very cleaver idea and something I hadn't considered. I recently completed a weathered Tomenosuke build and I'll certainly follow your example to get a better match between the bullets and blaster. The case also looks wonderful. Pelican did a really clean job cutting the foam, and I love how you inlaid the Steyr logo. The darkened base and sight rod look great as well.

A few quick questions:

-May I ask where you acquired the binding post and weaver knob? I've done a quick ebay/internet search for the post and I've struck out so far. The Tomenosuke parts are a bit too clean for my taste, and I'd prefer the slightly grungier look of the authentic parts for my weathered blaster.

-Would you by any chance consider selling additional contoured front posts? You did a fantastic job and it certainly fits much more cleanly than the Tomenosuke post. I'd be interested in purchasing several if you're so inclined, however, I understand if you'd rather not.

Thanks for posting!

Lovely work! I really love how the barrel came out, that "heat damaged" effect looks wonderful. Definitely one of those happy little mistakes. Weathering the bullets was also a very cleaver idea and something I hadn't considered. I recently completed a weathered Tomenosuke build and I'll certainly follow your example to get a better match between the bullets and blaster. The case also looks wonderful. Pelican did a really clean job cutting the foam, and I love how you inlaid the Steyr logo. The darkened base and sight rod look great as well.

A few quick questions:

-May I ask where you acquired the binding post and weaver knob? I've done a quick ebay/internet search for the post and I've struck out so far. The Tomenosuke parts are a bit too clean for my taste, and I'd prefer the slightly grungier look of the authentic parts for my weathered blaster.

-Would you by any chance consider selling additional contoured front posts? You did a fantastic job and it certainly fits much more cleanly than the Tomenosuke post. I'd be interested in purchasing several if you're so inclined, however, I understand if you'd rather not.

Thanks for posting!
Thanks for the praise, for the binding post I ended up just buying an entire EE-8 radio (Ill send you some links in a direct message), and for the contoured front post id feel guilty charging you for it as its just some hardware I found at my local Ace and a drill press. The whole front post cost maybe $2 but if I include the entire bottle of brass black its probably $13, id be happy to whip some up if you don't have the facilities for it (I used my colleges wood shop for most of this project when I wasn't able to use my shop at home)

Last edited:
Quick addition, I decided to darken the binding post to match the weaver knob, I think it turned out pretty nice. My last few goals are to install a metal cylinder once I'm able to get my hands on one, fix some wobble, perfect some finishes, and create a good display.
IMG_5728.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the praise, for the binding post I ended up just buying an entire EE-8 radio (Ill send you some links in a direct message), and for the contoured front post id feel guilty charging you for it as its just some hardware I found at my local Ace and a drill press. The whole front post cost maybe $2 but if I include the entire bottle of brass black its probably $13, id be happy to whip some up if you don't have the facilities for it (I used my colleges wood shop for most of this project when I wasn't able to use my shop at home)
Hi Creech. Thank you VERY much for taking the time to reply, and my apologies for my rather slow response. I've gone ahead and sent you a private message. Thanks again!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back