my mohawk gremlin life size replica..

stevieboy1

There is a gremlin in my kitchen frowing saucepans in the microwave AGRRRRR!! :behave:behave
I have put my First gremlin kit together still lots of gaps that need filling with some putty filler but at least hes all in one pice now. YAY I cant beleive how long it takes to put one of these vinal kits together! Its taken me a few days with all the having to soak the parts in hot water to bend them in to shape as nothing matched up very well at all. His legs and feet stuck out in the air his arms were crooked and I wont tell you how long I spent just trying to get his head and back spines on!!

I still cant get over how big he is!! When it comes to sculpting some others after ive done the second kit I think its going to take me a long time and a lot of clay and work but i think it will all be worth it in the end to have a gremlin army hehe. :love:love:love:love

Anyways here is the Mohwak the gremlin put together.....

381144_10150505239477392_626117391_10438914_1517458919_n.jpg

381144_10150505239497392_626117391_10438915_1996497609_n.jpg

Cant wait to get his gaps filled in and work out how im going to paint him up hehe.

I dont have one of them spray paint things only brushes and acrillics can any one give me any good tips or painting advice for painting him up? :confused :confused:thumbsup
gremlin regards
Steve :)

Looks good!!, was this a kit?

yes its the mohawk kit I got from ebay I got two a mohawk and one without a mohawk. im just trying to fill all the gaps with putty to get him ready for painting. just wish my painting skills were better so dont know how its going to turn out, but will just have to wait and see i supose :confused:wacko

regards
Steve:)

ive now started painting my mohawk gremlin up and after about 14 hours or so ive not even finished one arm yet so many patches and spots to do im seeing spots in my sleep now lol. hopfully i can get a bit more done later this evening.

any ways heres a pic of what ive done so far lol

384929_10150510640377392_626117391_10452410_765161620_n.jpg

384929_10150510640382392_626117391_10452411_1171785675_n.jpg

384929_10150510640397392_626117391_10452412_1019357383_n.jpg

384929_10150510640412392_626117391_10452413_305969106_n.jpg

regards
steve:)

:) its starting to come to life, nice gremlin dude

thanks i wouldnt say hes perfect but for my first model on this large scale hes slowly getting there lol. hopfully when his finished and had a good coat of clear laquer/ varnish hopfully it will make it have that wet slimey look fingers crossed.:rolleyes

regards

cool very nice.:thumbsup
I did think about buying a pre made and painted one and pay the extra for it but then I thought it would take the fun out of it so thought id like to try and make it up and paint it my self.:eek

ive got the otherone without the mohawk that wont be put together and done for a while im hoping I can use these to for refrance so i can start from scratch and completly sculpt and buils all the other gremlins like spike from the first movie, george, daffy, lenny, brain greta etc from the second. i was itching to start on one but didnt want to start till I got these so i can try and make them around the same size etc so they all match up.

Fingers crossed i can do it and find a way to make a mold etc for a generic gremlin from the first and second movie then i can make a whole gremlin army if i wanted. Im planning on having them all around my loft lol I might even make a gremlin coocoon or two and one mabe hatching but will just have to see how everything goes. im quite happy slowly plodding along on painting this one up for now lol.:lol

regards

The original model kit was from Kaiyodo. The reason why the parts were such a bad fit on yours is due to it being a recast kit. The paint work is pretty damn good, just keep that up.

The original model kit was from Kaiyodo. The reason why the parts were such a bad fit on yours is due to it being a recast kit. The paint work is pretty damn good, just keep that up.

thanks for you nice comments im slowly getting there with the painting its very time consuming but hopfully it will be worth the efort when its finished. :lol Yeah was tough going to get the thing together took a good couple of days a lot of hot water to soften the parts up to squish and stretch the parts into a good enough shape to get them together. Plenty of glue and a lot of filler but got there in the end lol:behave:love

regards

cool bust very nice wish i could paint as well as that!:love wish i could aford a spray kit would be interesting to use one see what happens lol.

No i havent filled the legs but ive got him leaning forward a bit so hes balanced on his feet and the ends of his claws pluss hes a vinal one so rubbery plastic stuff so hopfully he will be ok fingers crossed.:rolleyes :confused

I done some more today but still havent finished one arm yet it still needs spots on the back and his claws and spikes sorted out. Im sure I will get there in the end. lol:behave

regards

No i havent filled the legs but ive got him leaning forward a bit so hes balanced on his feet and the ends of his claws pluss hes a vinal one so rubbery plastic stuff so hopfully he will be ok fingers crossed.:rolleyes :confused

regards

trust me it will, mine was vinyl, repositioned it loads of times, same outcome every time.

if you go and paint it then have to heat it and reposition it you might damage your paintwork.

-z

Last edited:
AWESOME** job Stevie. Skin looks amazing...even if it takes you longer than expected it is definitely worth it...

Looking great, I ordered one of these kits also, waiting
on its arrival any day. im looking forward to seeing yours
finished, it looks like your off to an excellent start!

Thanks for all the nice comments.:love I must say its slow going lol but got a few more progress pics to show you. i got bord of the arm so started one side of the face lol

391774_10150515956867392_626117391_10470012_1319205022_n.jpg

391774_10150515956842392_626117391_10470011_878189011_n.jpg

391774_10150515956887392_626117391_10470013_156297698_n.jpg

391774_10150515956902392_626117391_10470015_29583987_n.jpg

391774_10150515956917392_626117391_10470016_999101562_n.jpg

regards

My dad just put together one of these a few months ago over the course of a weekend. Practically every part was warped and it had to have some MAJOR putting. He said the same thing about the legs, I can't imagine what would have happened if he hadn't filled them. Nothing lined up but it turned out good. In the end he wasn't able to get the right leg to line up and its sort of upward like he's taking a step.

Its no wonder the original kits are so expensive, they must have been 100x easier to assemble.

Yeah I had a lot of trouble geting the right foot on the leg and they both stuck out. I had to use lots of boiling water run over the parts to soften them then stretch and bend them into a beter shape them holing them in the right position run them under the cold tap to make them stay that way.

Ive not filled the legs and just wondering if i could make holes in the back of them and fill them with plaster then fill the holes befor i carry on painting. Hmmm:behave:wacko

Regards

Good advice is hard to come by but there is plenty on here!:love:thumbsup

Thankyou for pointing out about filling the legs when i took a close look at his this morning i noticed he was leaning forward more and there were cracks around the legs and under one arm were the weight was on his legs and arm.:cry:cry

So I have spent most of the afternoon cutting bits out of the back of the legs and filling them with plaster along with cutting bits out the bottom of the feet and filling them with plaster. i kept his legs in position after re shaping them tied together with some string while the plaster set.

Then fut back the cut out parts and re filled all the cracks and gaps and were I made the holes.

hes standing up much better now and hopfully this time around with the help of the plaster inside fingers crossed he wont crack and tilt over now.

Thankyou for the advice im so glad it I managed to sort it out befor id painted all the legs and would have rueind it.

regards

yeah, i thought i would get the point across now rather than later when you had done all the painting. you have to remember its a hell of a big vinyl kit.

i used plaster in my legs also, it also helps keep the centre of gravity low to stop it tipping over.

if i were to do it again i would have used 2 part rigid polyurethane foam. in fact the best way in my opinion would be to cut holes in the body where the legs join.

glue the legs on in the correct position, pour the 2 part foam in the top of the body and into the legs from there

so when it expanded it would come out of the top of the legs (inside) and into the inside of the body, locking the whole lot in place.

even with plaster in the legs you run the risk of the body warping where the legs join, its just one big pain in the arse of a kit.

-z

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back