my mohawk gremlin life size replica..

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by stevieboy1, Dec 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

There is a gremlin in my kitchen frowing saucepans in the microwave AGRRRRR!! :behave:behave
    I have put my First gremlin kit together still lots of gaps that need filling with some putty filler but at least hes all in one pice now. YAY I cant beleive how long it takes to put one of these vinal kits together! Its taken me a few days with all the having to soak the parts in hot water to bend them in to shape as nothing matched up very well at all. His legs and feet stuck out in the air his arms were crooked and I wont tell you how long I spent just trying to get his head and back spines on!!

I still cant get over how big he is!! When it comes to sculpting some others after ive done the second kit I think its going to take me a long time and a lot of clay and work but i think it will all be worth it in the end to have a gremlin army hehe. :love:love:love:love

Anyways here is the Mohwak the gremlin put together.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cant wait to get his gaps filled in and work out how im going to paint him up hehe.

I dont have one of them spray paint things only brushes and acrillics can any one give me any good tips or painting advice for painting him up? :confused :confused:thumbsup
    gremlin regards
    Steve :)

2. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Looks good!!, was this a kit?

3. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

yes its the mohawk kit I got from ebay I got two a mohawk and one without a mohawk. im just trying to fill all the gaps with putty to get him ready for painting. just wish my painting skills were better so dont know how its going to turn out, but will just have to wait and see i supose :confused:wacko

regards
    Steve:)

4. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

ive now started painting my mohawk gremlin up and after about 14 hours or so ive not even finished one arm yet so many patches and spots to do im seeing spots in my sleep now lol. hopfully i can get a bit more done later this evening.

any ways heres a pic of what ive done so far lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

regards
    steve:)

5. ReproMan

ReproMan Well-Known Member

:) its starting to come to life, nice gremlin dude

6. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

thanks i wouldnt say hes perfect but for my first model on this large scale hes slowly getting there lol. hopfully when his finished and had a good coat of clear laquer/ varnish hopfully it will make it have that wet slimey look fingers crossed.:rolleyes

regards

7. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

i have one of these:

luckily tho i bought it fully painted for 150 uk at a comic con last year

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

cool very nice.:thumbsup
    I did think about buying a pre made and painted one and pay the extra for it but then I thought it would take the fun out of it so thought id like to try and make it up and paint it my self.:eek

ive got the otherone without the mohawk that wont be put together and done for a while im hoping I can use these to for refrance so i can start from scratch and completly sculpt and buils all the other gremlins like spike from the first movie, george, daffy, lenny, brain greta etc from the second. i was itching to start on one but didnt want to start till I got these so i can try and make them around the same size etc so they all match up.

Fingers crossed i can do it and find a way to make a mold etc for a generic gremlin from the first and second movie then i can make a whole gremlin army if i wanted. Im planning on having them all around my loft lol I might even make a gremlin coocoon or two and one mabe hatching but will just have to see how everything goes. im quite happy slowly plodding along on painting this one up for now lol.:lol

regards

9. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

The original model kit was from Kaiyodo. The reason why the parts were such a bad fit on yours is due to it being a recast kit. The paint work is pretty * good, just keep that up.

10. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

thanks for you nice comments im slowly getting there with the painting its very time consuming but hopfully it will be worth the efort when its finished. :lol Yeah was tough going to get the thing together took a good couple of days a lot of hot water to soften the parts up to squish and stretch the parts into a good enough shape to get them together. Plenty of glue and a lot of filler but got there in the end lol:behave:love

regards

11. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

cool bust very nice wish i could paint as well as that!:love wish i could aford a spray kit would be interesting to use one see what happens lol.

No i havent filled the legs but ive got him leaning forward a bit so hes balanced on his feet and the ends of his claws pluss hes a vinal one so rubbery plastic stuff so hopfully he will be ok fingers crossed.:rolleyes :confused

I done some more today but still havent finished one arm yet it still needs spots on the back and his claws and spikes sorted out. Im sure I will get there in the end. lol:behave

regards

13. zorg

trust me it will, mine was vinyl, repositioned it loads of times, same outcome every time.

if you go and paint it then have to heat it and reposition it you might damage your paintwork.

-z

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  14. Alnitak

Alnitak Guest

AWESOME** job Stevie. Skin looks amazing...even if it takes you longer than expected it is definitely worth it...

15. ttdk

ttdk New Member

Looking great, I ordered one of these kits also, waiting
    on its arrival any day. im looking forward to seeing yours
    finished, it looks like your off to an excellent start!

16. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Thanks for all the nice comments.:love I must say its slow going lol but got a few more progress pics to show you. i got bord of the arm so started one side of the face lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

regards

17. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

My dad just put together one of these a few months ago over the course of a weekend. Practically every part was warped and it had to have some MAJOR putting. He said the same thing about the legs, I can't imagine what would have happened if he hadn't filled them. Nothing lined up but it turned out good. In the end he wasn't able to get the right leg to line up and its sort of upward like he's taking a step.

Its no wonder the original kits are so expensive, they must have been 100x easier to assemble.

18. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Yeah I had a lot of trouble geting the right foot on the leg and they both stuck out. I had to use lots of boiling water run over the parts to soften them then stretch and bend them into a beter shape them holing them in the right position run them under the cold tap to make them stay that way.

Ive not filled the legs and just wondering if i could make holes in the back of them and fill them with plaster then fill the holes befor i carry on painting. Hmmm:behave:wacko

Regards

19. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Good advice is hard to come by but there is plenty on here!:love:thumbsup

Thankyou for pointing out about filling the legs when i took a close look at his this morning i noticed he was leaning forward more and there were cracks around the legs and under one arm were the weight was on his legs and arm.:cry:cry

So I have spent most of the afternoon cutting bits out of the back of the legs and filling them with plaster along with cutting bits out the bottom of the feet and filling them with plaster. i kept his legs in position after re shaping them tied together with some string while the plaster set.

Then fut back the cut out parts and re filled all the cracks and gaps and were I made the holes.

hes standing up much better now and hopfully this time around with the help of the plaster inside fingers crossed he wont crack and tilt over now.

Thankyou for the advice im so glad it I managed to sort it out befor id painted all the legs and would have rueind it.

regards

20. zorg

yeah, i thought i would get the point across now rather than later when you had done all the painting. you have to remember its a hell of a big vinyl kit.

i used plaster in my legs also, it also helps keep the centre of gravity low to stop it tipping over.

if i were to do it again i would have used 2 part rigid polyurethane foam. in fact the best way in my opinion would be to cut holes in the body where the legs join.

glue the legs on in the correct position, pour the 2 part foam in the top of the body and into the legs from there

so when it expanded it would come out of the top of the legs (inside) and into the inside of the body, locking the whole lot in place.

even with plaster in the legs you run the risk of the body warping where the legs join, its just one big pain in the * of a kit.

-z

21. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

yeah I wondering the same thing about were the legs join the body and it might start warping at the join from the body to the legs. I will just have to hope it holds up. if not I dont know what else i can do.:behave

regards

22. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

well it still leaned forward so i decided to take drastic measures!!

I got some foam filler and filled his body and arms but still wouldnt hold up.:unsure
    So I desided the only thing I could do was chop his feet off!! I held him up perfectly straight and balanced with some string tied to the coubord doors and re atached his feet filling glueing etc the feet on straight with a big wedge between the foot and leg as there was a realllllly big gap to fill but now its all dry and set and he stands up perfectly straight now so me a much happier bunny!:love:love:cool
    i thought that where he was leaning forward in the first place that was the main problem and gravity taking over. Now hes up right and more balanced he should be better now. YAY!

Any ways here are a few more progress pics:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

regards
    steve:)

23. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

That paint job looks amazing so far, can't wait to see it finished :thumbsup

24. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Thankyou for your nice words.:)
    Im just so happy he finaly stands up straight and not leaning over now i can concentrate on the painting....one spot at a time lol:eek :confused i will get there in the end.:behave

I might not put the second one together yet as im thinking about trying to sculpt my own gremlin first now ive got these for the size and detail refrance. I think I want to start with stripe from the first movie. its just a case of how to do it and then work out how I would mold such a large thing...im new to molding apart from small plaster molds lol

regards

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  25. Too Much Garlic

If you are only making sculpts for yourself, think about doing a metal/wood rod or plastic tubing and wireframe internal body and then sculpt the surface with a two-part self-hardening epoxy resin instead of tampering with clay or magic sculpt that needs to be baked, molded and cast. It removes many steps, but also requires more thorough planning ahead.

26. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

I realy want to make a cast for them as Im planning on making a few so would want to make some molds for a generic gremlin that i can then re cast to make more doing difrent things out fits etc. I will be using an air dry clay to sculpt the models with and yes I will make an under fraim from wire paper and tin foil for a skelliton then sculpt over it to save on clay and make it a bit lighter lol.

I think sculpting the large full size gremlins wont be to much of a problem apart from hours spent on details etc but im more concerned on how im going to make a mold and then re cast them and with what. I dont want to make them from latex so it will either be resin or some other molding materiel if there is any?:thumbsup

Regards

27. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Well I have finaly finished painting up my mohawk gremlin yay. here are a few pics and a group shot of them all together under the xmas tree lol.:rolleyes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards

28. zorg

excellent, i bet your glad all those spots are finished, any signs of it sagging or are you confident you solved the problem? the varnish helped the flat looking finish.

-z

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  29. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Problem solved!(y)thumbsup After re positioning his feet and filling him with plaster and foam filler hes not moved! ive got him staning with his back just on the wall and hes not moved forward at all.:):) yes im glad theres no more spots for a while lol.:lol:lol:lol

Regards

30. Too Much Garlic

That set looks awesome and the paint work turned out great.

Just to get the terminology right. It's just molding and casting. Recasting is only if someone molds and casts one of your casts without permission. .)

31. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Oh yeah silly me lol Thats what i ment hehe:behave:lol

regards

32. Too Much Garlic

But, to get something straight... you made all those Mogwais?

33. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

Yup I made all the mogwai. i sculpted them and made them all from scratch.:)

Regards

34. suckface

suckface Active Member

great set you've got and a really nice paint job

love all those Mogwai's you got any more pictures of thos you can share with us from the sculpt to the finshed prop ?

I think from the 3 pin plug your in the uk so if you need any help/advise on the molding and casting give me a shout ;)

35. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I love your Gizmo, any chance of a few more pics, he looks awesome.
    Stripe looks mean as ever, really great job Steve!

Lee

36. stevieboy1

stevieboy1 Member

37. KingJawa

KingJawa Active Member

That paint job looks amazing, really nice work. I would love to make one of these myself, when I find the time.