My Luke ESB Cutaway.....

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Intercepted New Republic News Service transmission #21871138

"Today an amazing discovery was made in the newly refurbished Cloud City of Bespin. Workers have been returning to the city following the banishment of the Imperial Occupation Garrison. Bii Ugr, a returning Ugnaught worker was doing routine maintenance in the main power shaft when he made an amazing discovery- the lost lightsaber of Jedi Knight and galacitc hero Luke Skywalker.

As is widely known, Skywalker lost the saber during a confrontation with the late Lord Darth Vader, a confrontation which also cost him his right hand. Ugr found the saber wedged between the wall of the shaft and a diasgnostic scanner arm, which had prevented it from being purged into the atmosphere of planet Bespin. Surprisingly, the saber was still in fair condition considering the many burnthroughs performed in the shaft during renovation- a testament to the incredible workmanship of the Jedi. Luke Skywalker, recognising the historical importance of the find, has graciously donated the saber to the Imperial War Museum on Coruscant where it is currently on display."

*update*

Here are some new, larger pics. I tried a reddish illumination to bring out the "aged" feel of the thing and also did some experimenting with the flash. Enjoy.

<div align="center">
full.jpg

back.jpg

front_slant.jpg

back_slant.jpg

details.jpg

full_explained.jpg
</div>

Older pics... hosted by his Mighty Galactic Furryness, Wackychimp.

<div align="center">
3_9.jpg

4_7.jpg

</div>

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd show this to you all. Been slaving away at it for a while now and it took all the best parts in my "bits box" to complete it. I wanted to go with some established Star Wars conventions- hard drive parts, real Texas Instruments calculator parts and so on. I didn't have the heart to cut up a metal Graflex, so the shell is resin/plastic from an old saber kit that I had lying around. Other greeblies are either scratch-made or picked from stuff like a Japanese Star Blazers Argo/Yamato model kit. Even got a coated wire in there from a Gibson guitar pickup. I really went to town on the outer shell to make it match my little background story. I thought it'd be cool if the red button and ears were torn off. If I had more time, I might have done lighting, but I had to abandon that thought. Also, the activator circuit board and mylar tape aren't 100% correct, but this baby is really only meant to be viewed from the inside, so I didn't fret too much about it.

Anyway... hope you all enjoy it. Sorry for the so-so pics. (I haven't learned all the ins and outs of my camera's macro-setting yet.) I should also thank Howard for inspiring me to build it with his wonderful Obi cutaway.

(Oh... and since I'm in dire need of cash at the moment, this will probably be Coming To A Junkyard In Your Galaxy soon.) ;)

/Joe F

*Vid-scans hosted by the Galactically Powerful Wacky Chimp.*

WOW. I love seeing the cut-aways. You have done a beautiful job and I love the back story you provided. Did you create all the details from imagination or is there some reference pic out there that you used?

Bryan

Joe,

As impressive as the cutaway saber is (And it's excellent) the back story is a great, and original, touch.
Keep up the great work.

Ted.

looks as if Luke's saber took a hard crash to some surface in Cloud City on Bespin.
this cutaway looks spectacular. I like the tube in the base of the hilt...sorta looks like some kind of gas propellant device, but is probably meant to be a power supply.

Has anyone ever made a "cutaway" lightsaber in cross sections, like every couple of centimeters or so?

Haha... good one. Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it. To answer a couple of questions:

I did not have any visual reference besides Howard's Obi (for inspiration) and the info in the database on starwars.com. However, I did try to put a little thought into how the darn thing should work (which is why I added some brownish grease-stains on many of the parts. I wanted the build to make some kind of sense.

Any more questions, just ask away. See the first post for some new pics.

/Joe F

That's just one of the things I love about this forum...the creativity of it's members. Great idea and beautiful work.

nifty....

i dig the beat up look as well. it looks like it took quite a tumble (not to mention lando probably lost his security deposit due to the blade slicing down the shaft ;) ).

i have been meaning to do 2 companion pieces to this, a cutaway ESB luke, and a "hand in carbonite". i blame the zahn trilogy for those ideas though.

very very cool.

chris

"HAND in carbonite".... that's priceless that is. :)

I'm actually finishing up the Zahn trilogy right now, but I don't remember the saber being mentioned. Of course, I've been really slow in reading them, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff.

i dont wanna spoil anything if you havent finished the books out yet, but its mentioned as a trophy in one of the latter books and there is a nice big (somewhat cool) reason for it :)

ive been meaning to make it for years but just never got around to it. it would go perfect with that saber setup though :)

chris

I love it. It's a very different from Howard's take on the cutaway. Whereas his seem to have a more Victorian / steampunk feel, yours feels more 1940s / 1950s to me. I do like both takes on it, and such a fun project to do that really allows you to tap into your imagination.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back