My Luke ESB Cutaway.....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by JOATRASH FX, Jun 26, 2006.

1. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Intercepted New Republic News Service transmission #21871138

"Today an amazing discovery was made in the newly refurbished Cloud City of Bespin. Workers have been returning to the city following the banishment of the Imperial Occupation Garrison. Bii Ugr, a returning Ugnaught worker was doing routine maintenance in the main power shaft when he made an amazing discovery- the lost lightsaber of Jedi Knight and galacitc hero Luke Skywalker.

As is widely known, Skywalker lost the saber during a confrontation with the late Lord Darth Vader, a confrontation which also cost him his right hand. Ugr found the saber wedged between the wall of the shaft and a diasgnostic scanner arm, which had prevented it from being purged into the atmosphere of planet Bespin. Surprisingly, the saber was still in fair condition considering the many burnthroughs performed in the shaft during renovation- a testament to the incredible workmanship of the Jedi. Luke Skywalker, recognising the historical importance of the find, has graciously donated the saber to the Imperial War Museum on Coruscant where it is currently on display."

*update*

Here are some new, larger pics. I tried a reddish illumination to bring out the "aged" feel of the thing and also did some experimenting with the flash. Enjoy.

<div align="center">[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]</div>

Older pics... hosted by his Mighty Galactic Furryness, Wackychimp.

<div align="center"> [​IMG]

[​IMG]

</div>

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd show this to you all. Been slaving away at it for a while now and it took all the best parts in my "bits box" to complete it. I wanted to go with some established Star Wars conventions- hard drive parts, real Texas Instruments calculator parts and so on. I didn't have the heart to cut up a metal Graflex, so the shell is resin/plastic from an old saber kit that I had lying around. Other greeblies are either scratch-made or picked from stuff like a Japanese Star Blazers Argo/Yamato model kit. Even got a coated wire in there from a Gibson guitar pickup. I really went to town on the outer shell to make it match my little background story. I thought it'd be cool if the red button and ears were torn off. If I had more time, I might have done lighting, but I had to abandon that thought. Also, the activator circuit board and mylar tape aren't 100% correct, but this baby is really only meant to be viewed from the inside, so I didn't fret too much about it.

Anyway... hope you all enjoy it. Sorry for the so-so pics. (I haven't learned all the ins and outs of my camera's macro-setting yet.) I should also thank Howard for inspiring me to build it with his wonderful Obi cutaway.

(Oh... and since I'm in dire need of cash at the moment, this will probably be Coming To A Junkyard In Your Galaxy soon.) ;)

/Joe F

*Vid-scans hosted by the Galactically Powerful Wacky Chimp.*

2. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's top class that is.

3. bwize

bwize Well-Known Member

WOW. I love seeing the cut-aways. You have done a beautiful job and I love the back story you provided. Did you create all the details from imagination or is there some reference pic out there that you used?

Bryan

4. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Joe,

As impressive as the cutaway saber is (And it's excellent) the back story is a great, and original, touch.
    Keep up the great work.

Ted.

5. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Sweet... Another super cool lightsaber cutaway .

6. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Amazing job. Congratulations. :)

7. theyrenotdolls

theyrenotdolls Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks as if Luke's saber took a hard crash to some surface in Cloud City on Bespin.
    this cutaway looks spectacular. I like the tube in the base of the hilt...sorta looks like some kind of gas propellant device, but is probably meant to be a power supply.

Has anyone ever made a "cutaway" lightsaber in cross sections, like every couple of centimeters or so?

8. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Joe,

That looks fantastic.

If you ever do a Vader one please let me know.

9. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Nice work :thumbsup

I love seeing all these new cutaways.

10. RGPFX

RGPFX Well-Known Member

Yeah, but did he find the hand?.?

11. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Great work indeed.
    Do you have any close-up pics?

Howard.

12. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interesting take on the saber. Good job.
    Please post more pics. :)

13. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am selling the same exact saber on Ebay...anyone want one? JUST KIDDING.... :)

14. JOATRASH FX

Haha... good one. Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it. To answer a couple of questions:

I did not have any visual reference besides Howard's Obi (for inspiration) and the info in the database on starwars.com. However, I did try to put a little thought into how the darn thing should work (which is why I added some brownish grease-stains on many of the parts. I wanted the build to make some kind of sense.

Any more questions, just ask away. See the first post for some new pics.

/Joe F

15. jedi_adrian

jedi_adrian New Member

awesome work..love teh back story.

16. Jaintly

Jaintly Active Member

That's just one of the things I love about this forum...the creativity of it's members. Great idea and beautiful work.

17. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

nifty....

i dig the beat up look as well. it looks like it took quite a tumble (not to mention lando probably lost his security deposit due to the blade slicing down the shaft ;) ).

i have been meaning to do 2 companion pieces to this, a cutaway ESB luke, and a "hand in carbonite". i blame the zahn trilogy for those ideas though.

very very cool.

chris

18. JOATRASH FX

"HAND in carbonite".... that's priceless that is. :)

I'm actually finishing up the Zahn trilogy right now, but I don't remember the saber being mentioned. Of course, I've been really slow in reading them, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff.

19. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i dont wanna spoil anything if you havent finished the books out yet, but its mentioned as a trophy in one of the latter books and there is a nice big (somewhat cool) reason for it :)

ive been meaning to make it for years but just never got around to it. it would go perfect with that saber setup though :)

chris

20. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love it. It's a very different from Howard's take on the cutaway. Whereas his seem to have a more Victorian / steampunk feel, yours feels more 1940s / 1950s to me. I do like both takes on it, and such a fun project to do that really allows you to tap into your imagination.

21. JOATRASH FX

Also, Howard is insane. He must be. No sane person I know has the ability to put such fanatical attention to detail into an object. :lol

22. Howard

Howard Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(joatrash @ Jun 28 2006, 08:54 AM) [snapback]1269792[/snapback]</div>
    :eek
    Me?
    :cry
    Insane?

Vader cut-away primary crystal module (unfinished).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the hijack.
    Your insane cut-away friend,

Howard. :)

23. Imperialknight

Imperialknight Well-Known Member

joatrash, nice build on the saber. I also like the story behind it. I did'nt do a story to go with mine.

<div class='quotetop'>(Howard @ Jun 28 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]1269811[/snapback]</div>
    :eek
    Me?
    :cry
    Insane?

Vader cut-away primary crystal module (unfinished).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the hijack.
    Your insane cut-away friend,

[/b][/quote]
    Howard, looking good. cant wait to see the finished product.

24. Darth Lars

The hard drive motor is an idea that I have to *. I have got a few discarded harddrives laying around. I like the look of a stack of washers, but not quite a stack of washers, more techy.
    It bridges the PT and the OT a little bit also.

Howard: If I may ask, where do you get those wonderful parts of yours? I like the use of pipes especially.

25. JOATRASH FX

I've also been curious about that, please enlighten us Howard. (permission granted for furhter hijacking) :)

If I were to guess, some of the parts look like the fine mechanics found in clocks. Perhaps parts from older cameras? The pipes could be done by combining various types of thickness and using a small pipe-bender (don't know the proper name). I've actually started thinking about doing another cutaway and I think I'd like to use more pipes. (Must be the car lover in me.)

You guys in the US are so lucky to have access to good harware and DIY shops. Here in Sweden where Darth Lars and I live, even finding small(ish) amounts of metal to work with can be a hassle. (I'm sure you've felt that pinch too since you're a bit of a tinkerer, right Lars?) ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Lars @ Jun 28 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]1269831[/snapback]</div>

26. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Very cool. I'm always impressed with the attention to detail.

27. Howard

Howard Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Lars @ Jun 28 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]1269831[/snapback]</div>
    The pipes are available in various diameters from K & S metals - I purchase mine from:

http://www.hobby.uk.com/

http://www.hobby.uk.com/cgi-bin/hobbys-cgi/Catalogue.pl

They ship worldwide - so you guys in Sweden should be fine.
    Saying that, these metal tubes / rods should be available from most good hobby stores - particularly those who supply Radio Control parts, as these brass and copper tubes are used for fuel lines and such. These stores usually carry the K & S standee, with their complete line :love

I use tubes slid over other tubes (the small pipe benders don't produce a satisfactory 'bend' - more like a crimp) then slide these onto solid rods and bend the rods with pliers. This means cutting and filing pieces sometimes no more than 2mm in length :unsure

The other parts are from old cameras and yes, watches as you said joatrash. I sometimes browse eBay looking for old retro mechanical objects, such as Sony Walkmans which have all kinds of interesting levers, PCBs, wires and the like.

The housing for the part I posted above is from a Parks MPP. It was originally nickel plated, but I hated the look so I sanded the plating off to reveal the brass beneath. That took three days - so you were right, I am insane. :lol

28. JOATRASH FX

Thanks for the info Howard. Well, I'm gonna go on a parts finding raid and do another. I've got an old VCR lying around just waiting to be slaughtered. This time I might even try lighting it.

I've got a real Graflite flash lying around... should I do a Luke Holiday Special cutaway or maybe save it and do a Vader ROTJ instead? (Hey, I'm thinkin' that Bii Ugr was flying around in orbit above Endor after the final battle and found it floating in space.) Or maybe use the Graflite and do a custom Sith saber?

/Joe F

29. Darth Lars

<div class='quotetop'>(Howard @ Jun 28 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1269890[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Now I know where to look.
    <div class='quotetop'>(Howard @ Jun 28 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1269890[/snapback]</div>
    I heard plumbers put a special coil/spiral into the tube that should prevent it from deforming too much during bending. When they don't have a coil ready, they use sand. I don't know if sand would work here, or if it would just be messy.

Joatrash: If you are in Stockholm, I recommend Labb Elektronik on Södermalm. They resell vintage electronics and components. I got a Hengstler counter and Obi-Wan transistors from them, among other things.

30. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Great work guys. I'd love to try my hand at one of these. One general question... How do you get the hilt cut in half so nicely in the first place? Are most hilts (like Parks, etc) all hollow already? Looking for an idea on the tool you use to cut them in half cleanly.

31. Howard

Howard Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(rad1701 @ Jun 28 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]1269945[/snapback]</div>

The Parks MPP is hollow and I cut mine in half with an X-Acto razor saw.
    Cutting this was very difficult and took a couple of days. I removed the insides and just began with the tube - leaving the 'shroud' and endcap until later.
    I took a strip of blue masking tape and placed it along the centre line of the tube, making sure I allowed for the thickness of the X-Acto blade. This took a few attempts to get right, as the tape had a habit of twisting *slightly* off centre.
    Once this is laid out to your satisfaction, work against the edge of the tape with the X-Acto (if you're right - handed have the tape on the left of the centre line so the blade is cutting against the right - hand side of the tape. Cut one side first - it's impossible to cut completely down the tube with one pass. I laid the tube on an old T-shirt and worked slowly.

Joe - go for Vader ROTJ.

Howard.

32. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Thanks for the great advice on the cutting Howard. I am definitely going to tackle one of these.

33. JOATRASH FX

Weeeelllll..... DARN YOU HOWARD. You got me hooked on these things. I've been on a parts binge and have just begun cutting up a Gralex replica for a VADER ROTJ saber. I'm gonna take some inspiration from Howard and use more tubing. This one will be mostly metal and maybe, maybe, maybe have lights.

I'm also thinking of scrapping the LUKE ESB (if noone buys it first) and using some of the parts.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Bii Ugr the Ugnaught. :D