My Linhof/Kobold Droid Caller 'Idealized' Build Attempt

NathanM

Alrighty!

I recently picked up this Linhof Flash strictly for my ESB Graflex build as the clip is the exact same as the Kobold clip and those seem to be in very short supply currently.
It looks like this version of clip was used across both the Linhof and Kobalds so it's nice to have the exact vintage piece for my ESB Graflex build.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 7.46.26 PM.png

I wasn't sure what to do with the rest of the flash and I wasn't aware about the Kobald's use as a droid caller but thanks to the forum, I found that out.

I realized that the Linhof had features that weren't entirely correct for the droid caller but because it's not an item I care about having be fully accurate and the parts of it I wasn't going to use (namely all of it but the clip) would be tossed into a bin, I figured I'd just mock one up for display and to have a little modifcation fun.

I just bought TattoineMachine's aluminum cap and saw that a seller on eBay was selling an adaptable clip and d-ring for Kobold's and leapt in.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 7.51.44 PM.png

But of course the Linhof has the smooth and not stepped edge top so that'll be different. Though, thanks to the detective work on the forum and Al Roker, it looks like at one point, the smooth top version was made.

So, knowing this is all sorts of incorrect, I'm going to make an idealized (usewhateverIhaveandcallitidealized) version to display.

The dome cap fit's in perfectly which is nice.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 7.56.49 PM.png

But the clip from eBay doesn't fit where the test bulb goes so I think I'll take the bulb/brass piece:

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 7.59.49 PM.png

And cut the brass top off and then epoxy the plastic/d-ring piece to it so I can screw it in properly.

Also, I want to remove the internals as a I worry about leakage or something from the interior so all of the guts will be cut out.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.04.42 PM.png

I'm also going to cut the bottom squared flash mount off.

Then, I'll do some filling of the Linhof logo and sand it down and then use some wrinkle spray paint to get the effect desired for the handle of it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.05.03 PM.png

Basically this will be a sort of Han/Luke Hybrid.

Seems like an easy beginner project so I'll update as I go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.04.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.04.55 PM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 134
Don´t cut the brass - my heart would bleed. :eek:

Some of my Kobolds don´t have the brass-bulb and not the plastic-thing, they came with those standard glass-bulbs that were common in torchlights for so long.

Look around for one of them - no need to destroy that vintage part.

Thats a good point. Let me see what I’ve got to use instead.

Good call on that!

I pulled a bulb from one of my Graflex hilts. The bulb that sits under the glass eye.

14D4757B-238C-4F91-879D-85EADC00DE18.jpeg

It screws in perfectly so I’ll get rid of the glass and epoxy the clip to screw part. Thanks for calling me out in that!

Did some first pass stuff on irt today.

I removed the attached clip for use on my ESB Graflex build.

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 3.21.29 PM.png

I then cut out the battery and tucked the remaining wires in. I don't think I'm going to remove any other interior components as they are inert as is.

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 3.21.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 3.21.42 PM.png

The next step was to cut away the flash bracket mount on the base.

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 3.21.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 3.21.57 PM.png

It was easy enough to cut through the aluminum with a very fine saw. The rest will be filed away and the abrasions seen in the after photo are just from slight rubbing of the saw blade during cutting and aren't gauged or anything.

I'm waiting on the bondo and wrinkle spray so that'll be up shortly after filing away the rest of the metal leftover after the cut.

In the meantime, while I wait for those supplies, I'm going use that Graflex test bulb as a base for the ring and plastic bit I ordered. I was thinking of using epoxy as the joint needs to be very solid.

Looking good. I picked one of these same Linhofs up a while back, I'm taking a different approach though. These are actually much better suited for a Han ANH droid caller as-is, with a few mods. I'll be posting a build thread soon as well and can send it your way if you're interested?

Looking good. I picked one of these same Linhofs up a while back, I'm taking a different approach though. These are actually much better suited for a Han ANH droid caller as-is, with a few mods. I'll be posting a build thread soon as well and can send it your way if you're interested?

Absolutely interested. I considered doing the Han one but I like the domed version so I wanted to tackle that type.

Also, if you plan on picking up a replica clip to replace this one, I'd recommend roygilsing all the way!
I actually have one on the way. I had an order for other stuff and threw one in just to have as reference in general. I thought the Droid Callers had other d-rings instead and the reflector holders weren't present originally? It's hard to find a solid reference for the variations so maybe I missed something. That's why I was going to attach the d-ring to the bulb hole instead.

Really nice Kobold clip

Yeah, there's actually a Kobold that appeared yesterday on eBay that has the exact same setup as my Linhof. Brass topped bulb and all, just the black Kobold base. I feel fairly confident that the Linhof one I got is the exact same so I'm glad I got a legit clip. I took an expensive chance on it.

Yeah, there's actually a Kobold that appeared yesterday on eBay that has the exact same setup as my Linhof. Brass topped bulb and all, just the black Kobold base. I feel fairly confident that the Linhof one I got is the exact same so I'm glad I got a legit clip. I took an expensive chance on it.

So scary buying eBay kobolds..

In fact that´s not really correct.

Both companies flashlights come in various versions - so you can´t say "this is better than that". If you want it really accurate you need to check each available Kobold/Linhof against the informations/pics for the droidcaller you want to build, as they used different versions for the different callers.

In fact that´s not really correct.

Both companies flashlights come in various versions - so you can´t say "this is better than that". If you want it really accurate you need to check each available Kobold/Linhof against the informations/pics for the droidcaller you want to build, as they used different versions for the different callers.

Hey Lichtbringer, thanks for chiming in. Maybe you misunderstood my comment, though? I've done a lot of research here and have a ton of reference on the Han ANH droid caller, and this Linhof is very close to that. My indication was just that, in its factory state, 2cell's Lihof is closer to Han's ANH droid caller than it is to Luke's. Plain to see from readily available resource photos. I don't think this is new information, plenty here would agree.

I'm confused by your comment. I'm well aware that there are variations from Linhof to Linhof and from Kobold to Kobold, that's exactly why one could make the statement that this Linhof is "closer to A than to B".

I'll be posting some of my findings this week, though, as it's too much to explain here, and I don't want to hijack 2cell's thread. If you disagree, I'd love to hear your reasoning, as I know you've been around the block and I respect your opinion.

Also, just want to add that I'm not trying to convince you to make this into a Han, 2cell! You explained that you want a Luke droid caller regardless, and that's great! Just explaining my reasoning here.

Last edited:
I think a more condensed and targeted thread with the full breakdown would be great. I really struggled with how to proceed as the variance in flashes both physically and as props was a bit confusing. Obviously, the variance of flashes and the financial sinkhole trying to gget each one and compare and contrast is a major obstacle to that.

Here's an image of the Kobold flash that is the exact same as my Linhof I saw recently:

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 8.20.33 AM.png

I buy and sell old camera gear and obviously run into situations where gear is rebranded from original manufacturers. Still happens to this day actually. It's good to know that Linhof flashes can have the proper mount for ESB Graflex builds as it seems a lot of them have the two seperated screwholes. Or maybe that's more in line with the extender versions?

Yes, as with any old equipment (especially camera stuff) there are tons of subtle variations. Your thread just motivated me to start writing my info/pic-heavy build thread right now ... I'll be discussing some of these variations and am hoping the thread can also act as a place for discussion/discovery. This is a very simple "build" so it'll likely just be a few build posts with some discussion afterward.

Also, I got to sanding it a bit.

The base sanded down nicely. Still a bit of the bump left.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.28.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.28.37 AM.png

And also prepped the exterior for the upcoming Bondo session. Once that bit's done, It'll be time for the wrinkle spray.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.28.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.28.43 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 105
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back