My Lifesize 1:1 Jawa Build - 1st Attempt

Re: My Lifesize Jawa Build - 1st Attempt

So far it looks like a Terminator Jawa who has been through hell.

"Hasta la utinni, baby!" :p

Ha, my son laughs every time he hears that "utinni" sound clip. I'm actually thinking about wiring this with a small speaker and having a push button switch that plays that sound. My wife got me "The Sounds of Star Wars" book last Christmas and they have a great audio clip in there I could isolate.

But that will have to wait for now!

The coolest and easiest thing I did to mine was shove a light down the barrel of the gun. It gets almost as much attention as the Jawa does

lifesize-star-wars-collection-showoff-thread-2011-06-20_19-30-34_121.jpg-56833d1308614179

HWK, I love what you did there, I think I post that comment every time you post that picture. :lol But I plan to steal your idea, :lol just a heads up.

Gotta get off my butt and get back to work on mine. It's tough when the closest fabric or crafty type store is a 4 hour round trip...

It wasn't my idea to begin with hahahaha. I think I first saw this done on some guys Sandtroopers T-21 Blaster Rifle

Thanks!

Tried my hand at sewing the robe since my wife was working. Despite my grandfather being a tailor for 40+ years, it's a skill I need to work on! :) This is just a preliminary fit, which I am happy with. This was placed right over the frame, so I still need to add the batting to give it some shape. I have seen robes that open in the front and some that are one piece. Since this will be a static display, I opted for the one piece. This was the most nerve-racking part. When I bought this fabric it was on sale and they only had about 2 yards, so I had one crack at it.

jawa30.JPG

Here's the blaster with the first coat of black. (I'll have better pictures shortly).

jawa31.JPG

Last edited:

I started to work with the foam batting. I glued pieces to the PVC to bulk up the body a bit. This stuff was on sale for about $4.00 a yard at Joanns, I picked up a yard and a quarter.

jawa32.JPG

I then wrapped the body in some cheap black felt material, cost about $2.00 a yard.

jawa33.JPG

I took the robe outside and dragged it through the gravel just to dirty it a little. It's kinda hard to see in the photo. The rest of the weathering will be done with paint.

jawa34.JPG

One thing I did do is narrow the structure at the top and midsection by removing about 3 inches of pipe. I then adjusted the foam batting, put on the robe, and finished the hood. Instead of using a hanger, I bought 2 feet of solid core coated wire, I believe it was 12 gauge, and sewed that into the front of the hood to keep the shape.

I'll probably adjust the opening, not sure how open I want it.

jawa35.JPG

jawa36.JPG

jawa37.JPG

I decided to take the extra PVC pipe, cut it into small pieces, wrap in black duck tape, and place in the bandolier to give it some shape and weight. For the left side pouch, I just stuffed it with craft paper.

jawa38.JPG

From here I think I'll finish up the blaster and start weathering. The only other thing I wanted to do is make a droid caller. I know you can get them one line for about $20 - $30, but I decided to build my version using these pieces, which ran me about $7.00.

jawa39.JPG

Last edited:

I am inspired to build my own. Very nice work man, I love the creativity. How much would you say the project ran you total? It seems like you saved a bundle and ended up with a high valued item.

I am inspired to build my own. Very nice work man, I love the creativity. How much would you say the project ran you total? It seems like you saved a bundle and ended up with a high valued item.

My budget was $150 or less, I have a few odds and ends left, but will post final cost as soon as I wrap this up. I think right now I am just under $150.00.

Last edited:

A little work on my improvised droid caller. The top piece will be a faucet aerator which I just painted, should have this caller put together tonight.

jawa40.JPG

Finished the weathering with the spray cans. I used black, tan, and a brown; it's hard to see in the photos, but it came out real nice. I was heavier with the black around the feet, wrists, and hood rim.

jawa42.JPG

jawa41.JPG

I'll add a little bit here and there with the acrylic paints when I finish the blaster and weather the bandolier.

Last edited:

Finished the droid caller so I am calling it a night. I used a 1.5" male PVC adapter, 1.5" female PVC connector, replacement faucet aerator, a rubber washer, generic plastic plug, 2 knurl knobs, and a retaining clip. I painted the aerator and top PVC piece satin nickel.

This is just small enough to fit perfectly in the Jawa's left hand. This was a fun piece to build, very inexpensive and easy.

jawa44.JPG

jawa45.JPG

jawa46.JPG

jawa43.JPG

Last edited:

I love your project. But i think the hood is too large, too overhanging. The rest is awesome.

Ok now I have to try one also. This is a very neat and inspiring build.

Bonded Hawk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back