My Lifesize 1:1 Jawa Build - 1st Attempt

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by azheat01, Jan 1, 2012.

1. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've always wanted to build one to add to my mini theater, thinking it wouldn't be nearly as expensive or complicated as my Boba Fett or HIC. I told my wife I could do it for under $150, lets see how it goes.

The body frame is being built with 1/2 schedule 40 pipe. The head is a styrofoam ball from Walmart.

jawa1.jpg

jawa2.jpg

jawa3.jpg

After stepping back I noticed the frame was a bit too wide and a bit too broad at the top of the shoulders. I am using my 3 and 5 years old to get some approximate sizing. I decided to take the top of the shoulders in a bit and pulled about 2" out in the body width.

jawa4.jpg

I am using the same trick for the eyes that I used on my HIC panel. Those 25 cent toy machine dispenser capsules, the small ones. I bought 2, drilled holes on the bottom, and added 2 orange LEDs on a resistor so I could power them with one 9V battery. I then partially filled them with hot glue to help diffuse the light.

jawa5.jpg

jawa6.jpg

I shaped down the head, added the eyes, and placed a toggle switch at the bottom that can be accessed from under the Jawa's cloak. I also wrapped the head in black duck tape.

jawa7.jpg

I bought some real cheap fabric, $2.00 a yard, that I'll wrap the head in. It has a pattern that you can see in front of the eyes that I think looks real good.

jawa8.jpg

So far here is where I stand on budget:

Pipe and Connectors - $8.00
    Head - $10.00
    Eye Capsules - $1.00
    LEDs and Switch - $8.00
    Black Duck Tape - $2.00
    Fabric - $2.00

Subtotal - $31.00

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. azheat01

Re: My Lifesize Jawa Build - 1st Attempt

I knew the most expensive part would be the bandoliers, I have seen them going easily for over $100.00 each. I am not spending that much, especially since screen accuracy is not something I worry about. I went to my local Army Surplus store and after walking around for about a half hour I found these ammo pouches and straps. I figure I would be able to dye these and use paint to weather / highlight.

jawa9.jpg

I bought 6 pouches, only 4 of which are the same size, and 2 straps. After dying them and touching them up with some acrylic paint, I think I am satisfied (I will still be weathering these with some tan and brown colored paint as well as some black charcoal). I was going to try and lighten them, but after holding them against the fabric I bought for the cloak, I think I like it darker. Any lighter and it would be too close to the fabric for my liking.

jawa10.jpg

The total on these was $32.00 plus $5.00 for dye / paint.

Brings my subtotal to about $68.00.

3. azheat01

For the gun, I am requisitioning my son's Disneyland "Pirates of the Caribbean" pistol. Santa was good this year and he is intrigued by this project, so I don't think he minds.

jawa11.jpg

I disassembled the pistol and removed the electronics.

jawa12.jpg

After removing the electronics I noticed the gun was very light, and by the time I add the PVC pieces, it will be front heavy. So I hot glued a bunch of nuts and bolts into the handle and near the barrel to help balance it. I cut off the front portion of the gun barrel and used a 5/8" wooden dowel and leftover schedule 40 to rebuild it.

jawa13.jpg

I bought a few more plumbing fixtures of various different sizes and finished out the barrel. I also took a piece of scrap wood and shaped it so I could add it as a magazine.

jawa14.jpg

The barrel end is just a bit shorter than I would like, but I am about to take a trip to Home Depot / Lowes to see if I can extend it a little. If not, it will have to do. I am also looking to add some other odds and ends to finish out the entire gun.

Although the pistol is something I already had on hand, I need to figure it into the cost. It was about $20.00, and the plumbing fixtures and wooden dowel were another $9.00.

This brings the entire project's subtotal to about $97.00.

4. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

Nice start! Especially like the blaster. My little girl has just asked me to make her a Jawa costume so I'll be watching this with interest.

5. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

Great start! I've had my PVC mannequin made for 6 years and still haven't finished it. :lol Kinda sad I know.. I even have material here for the robe, I just need to learn how to dye it properly.

I'll be watching for more inspiration..

6. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm loving this. The blaster is great!

7. azheat01

Thanks guys.

Took another quick trip to the Depot and picked up a few last pieces for the blaster. I have taken several liberties with the design. I really wanted to replicate the bolt lever of the old Lee Ensfield, so I threw something together with copper wire and two cap nuts. It's OK, I think once I paint this it will come together.

I added a hose clamp to the barrel, a 1/2 inch PVC pipe repair half to the top, some metal Woodruff keys to the right side, and I wanted to do something inside the front barrel so I added 1/2 PVC grooved pipe and a plug.

All I have left on this is the magazine and then it's ready for primer.

jawa15.jpg

jawa16.jpg

jawa17.jpg

jawa18.jpg

Another $10, puts me at $107.00 thus far.

8. mickpell

mickpell New Member

Loving this build
    Especially like the look of the gun

9. Hobo Wan Kenobi

Hobo Wan Kenobi Well-Known Member

Looking good.

10. azheat01

For the hands I am modifying the design that I did for my Stormtrooper. I bought a pair of children's gloves for $1.00 at Target. I took a 1/2" PVC coupler and shortened it. I also bought some lengths of medium gauge copper wire for the fingers. This will make the hand much stronger and will let it hold its shape and the weight of the blaster.

I then cut the wires to length and hot glued rubber nail protectors to the tips. The wire is held into the coupler with 5 minute epoxy putty; they won't budge no matter how many times you re-position them. I still need to fill out the fingers and palm, but you get the idea.

When I am done, the 1/2" coupler will slide right onto the arms. These work great if you want pose-able hands.

jawa20.jpg

jawa19.jpg

11. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

Amazing work. Really smart thinking.

Funny - the pipe framework with the foam head on reminds
    Me of somw of those sad-looking flesh fair robots from AI

12. TallDarkandDisfigured

Great work on the hands, I might have to borrow that idea for my own. On my first one I just used wire shaped like a hand (like when you draw around your hand with a pen) they looked good but weren't sturdy enough to hold anything.

13. DBCooper

DBCooper Well-Known Member

Jawa looks great so far. Can't wait to see it finished.

TallDarkandDisfigured -

Your avatar made me laugh, I love it. :lol

Best,
    DBCooper

14. TallDarkandDisfigured

Wish I could take credit, but I found on google. Perfect for a Canadian Vader freak like me.

15. azheat01

Finished up the hands and did some work on the blaster. For the hands, I loosely wrapped each finger with duck tape (if you ever try this, don't wrap them tight, you'll never get them to bend). I then built up the palms and wrists (not pictured). The gloves fit nicely and they feel sturdy.

jawa21.JPG

jawa22.JPG

Also did a little work on the blaster. I finished up the magazine, I cut up a "For Sale" sign for the side detail. Did a few other touch ups, then hit it with the first coat of primer. I like it, I think it will look much better after final paint and weathering.

jawa23.JPG

jawa24.JPG

I remember seeing a Jawa blaster kit on eBay for around $75.00, but not in a while. I'd love to eventually get a more accurate one, but for the money, I can live with this for now.

There's a lot more I could have done to this gun, but I really didn't want to get too wrapped up in it. This was a last minute project that I was finally able to pull the trigger on, keeping my fingers crossed it turns out the way I envisioned.

16. JoeLuna33

JoeLuna33 New Member

Looking good so far. I love the repurposed POTC gun. I did a simliar thing for my wifes Baroness costume for last Halloween with some old laser tag guns.

17. tk 9464

tk 9464 Member

Wow. Looking really cool so far. Love to see it complete...

18. azheat01

Thanks for all the great comments. I am getting ready to tackle the robe, which has stalled me a bit. Just want to get it right the first time.

19. TallDarkandDisfigured

Just the coat of primer on the blaster really makes the difference. A little paint and weathering, and it's gonna be great!

20. azheat01

Thanks! It's a lot of fun, although time consuming, to build something like this from scratch with a Laser Tag or other toy gun. Very rewarding when it comes out how you expected, and extremely frustrating when it doesn't!

My camera died so bear with me on the photos.

Today I had to do a quick fix with the height. After placing my frame next to my Stormtrooper, I realized the Jawa was too short for my liking (about 36.5"). So I added about 3.5" to the body (2.25" inches to the body and 1.25" to the neck). This is the final result, which I am happy with. Now it puts him at just above 40". His neck may look a bit long in the first photo, but by the time I add padding to the shoulders and body, it will fill in. I did a quick test with the robe material and I can live with this. I also wrapped his head in the black mesh fabric, but decided to leave the eyes uncovered.

jawa25.JPG

jawa26.JPG

Next I finalized the hand position for the blaster. These came out great; holds the blaster perfectly. I'm real happy with how this turned out. I used pliers to bend the fingers to the right position, that's how thick the copper wire is I used. They won't move a bit.

jawa27.JPG

jawa28.JPG

jawa29.JPG

It's getting there. I need to do some final tweaking on the blaster (removing some of the PVC markings and covering some of the ornate detail) before I move onto the final coat and weathering.

I'll try and work on the robe next.

21. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So far it looks like a Terminator Jawa who has been through hell.

"Hasta la utinni, baby!" :p

22. azheat01

Thanks, I agree, I am looking forward to finishing the blaster.

23. azheat01

Ha, my son laughs every time he hears that "utinni" sound clip. I'm actually thinking about wiring this with a small speaker and having a push button switch that plays that sound. My wife got me "The Sounds of Star Wars" book last Christmas and they have a great audio clip in there I could isolate.

But that will have to wait for now!

24. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

25. Hobo Wan Kenobi

The coolest and easiest thing I did to mine was shove a light down the barrel of the gun. It gets almost as much attention as the Jawa does

[​IMG]

26. TallDarkandDisfigured

HWK, I love what you did there, I think I post that comment every time you post that picture. :lol But I plan to steal your idea, :lol just a heads up.

Gotta get off my butt and get back to work on mine. It's tough when the closest fabric or crafty type store is a 4 hour round trip...

27. vinci

vinci New Member

hahaha looks great!

28. Hobo Wan Kenobi

It wasn't my idea to begin with hahahaha. I think I first saw this done on some guys Sandtroopers T-21 Blaster Rifle

29. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

For that price, you can't beat it. Nice job!

30. azheat01

Thanks!

Tried my hand at sewing the robe since my wife was working. Despite my grandfather being a tailor for 40+ years, it's a skill I need to work on! :) This is just a preliminary fit, which I am happy with. This was placed right over the frame, so I still need to add the batting to give it some shape. I have seen robes that open in the front and some that are one piece. Since this will be a static display, I opted for the one piece. This was the most nerve-racking part. When I bought this fabric it was on sale and they only had about 2 yards, so I had one crack at it.

jawa30.JPG

Here's the blaster with the first coat of black. (I'll have better pictures shortly).

jawa31.JPG

31. azheat01

I started to work with the foam batting. I glued pieces to the PVC to bulk up the body a bit. This stuff was on sale for about $4.00 a yard at Joanns, I picked up a yard and a quarter.

jawa32.JPG

I then wrapped the body in some cheap black felt material, cost about $2.00 a yard.

jawa33.JPG

I took the robe outside and dragged it through the gravel just to dirty it a little. It's kinda hard to see in the photo. The rest of the weathering will be done with paint.

jawa34.JPG

One thing I did do is narrow the structure at the top and midsection by removing about 3 inches of pipe. I then adjusted the foam batting, put on the robe, and finished the hood. Instead of using a hanger, I bought 2 feet of solid core coated wire, I believe it was 12 gauge, and sewed that into the front of the hood to keep the shape.

I'll probably adjust the opening, not sure how open I want it.

jawa35.JPG

jawa36.JPG

jawa37.JPG

I decided to take the extra PVC pipe, cut it into small pieces, wrap in black duck tape, and place in the bandolier to give it some shape and weight. For the left side pouch, I just stuffed it with craft paper.

jawa38.JPG

From here I think I'll finish up the blaster and start weathering. The only other thing I wanted to do is make a droid caller. I know you can get them one line for about $20 - $30, but I decided to build my version using these pieces, which ran me about $7.00.

jawa39.JPG

32. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

He's so cute!

33. Fuzzual

I am inspired to build my own. Very nice work man, I love the creativity. How much would you say the project ran you total? It seems like you saved a bundle and ended up with a high valued item.

34. azheat01

My budget was $150 or less, I have a few odds and ends left, but will post final cost as soon as I wrap this up. I think right now I am just under $150.00.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  35. azheat01

A little work on my improvised droid caller. The top piece will be a faucet aerator which I just painted, should have this caller put together tonight.

jawa40.JPG

Finished the weathering with the spray cans. I used black, tan, and a brown; it's hard to see in the photos, but it came out real nice. I was heavier with the black around the feet, wrists, and hood rim.

jawa42.JPG

jawa41.JPG

I'll add a little bit here and there with the acrylic paints when I finish the blaster and weather the bandolier.

36. azheat01

Finished the droid caller so I am calling it a night. I used a 1.5" male PVC adapter, 1.5" female PVC connector, replacement faucet aerator, a rubber washer, generic plastic plug, 2 knurl knobs, and a retaining clip. I painted the aerator and top PVC piece satin nickel.

This is just small enough to fit perfectly in the Jawa's left hand. This was a fun piece to build, very inexpensive and easy.

jawa44.JPG

jawa45.JPG

jawa46.JPG

jawa43.JPG

mac3kuby likes this.
  37. Fuzzual

The droid caller is AMAZING!

38. chuckysdream

chuckysdream Well-Known Member

I love your project. But i think the hood is too large, too overhanging. The rest is awesome.

39. TallDarkandDisfigured

Best $7 droid caller I've ever seen. You just keep upping the creativity bar here.

40. Bonded Hawk

Bonded Hawk Well-Known Member

Ok now I have to try one also. This is a very neat and inspiring build.

Bonded Hawk

41. azheat01

Thanks guys...I appreciate the feedback.

It's funny because there were 2 or 3 other pieces of hardware I was going to add but decided since it's going to be in his hand and mostly covered, and because I want to stay close to my budget, why bother. Maybe next time, I have several other ideas for another one of these!

Yes, I have been looking at that also. I still need to play with the hood some to get it to my liking.

42. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

An amazing thread and great insight into how you really can make something jaw dropping for very little money, i love it.
    As for the hood, hmm id maybe just tweak it back some, well, i like it oversized anyway.

lee

43. azheat01

Thanks!

About to finish this guy up, just need to work on the blaster.

jawa49.JPG

Here is the base coat of brown that I mixed. I know there are some great tutorials out there on how to paint a wood grain pattern, but I won't be getting that detailed. I am using a combination of acrylic, enamel, and spray paint to finish this.

jawa50.JPG

I then put on a scattered second coat of darker, redish brown. I also did a bit of weathering, which is not one of my strong points.

jawa53.JPG

jawa51.JPG

jawa52.JPG

Just a little more and I can call this done.

44. azheat01

Finished up the blaster.

jawa54.JPG

jawa59.JPG

jawa55.JPG

jawa57.JPG

jawa58.JPG

And here are some final shots with blaster and droid caller in hand. I also did a slight modification to the hood to make it look a bit smaller.

jawa61.JPG

jawa62.JPG

jawa63.JPG

And here is his final display location in my man cave:

jawa64.JPG

There are a few things I could tweak on him, like fraying the cuffs, but I am fine with how this turned out for now. This took me about 5 days to complete. It's not my ideal version, but I think he looks great.

After tallying the receipts, here's about what I spent:

Pipe and Connectors - $8.00
    Head - $10.00
    Eye Capsules - $1.00
    LEDs and Switch - $8.00
    Black Duck Tape - $2.00
    Head Fabric - $2.00
    Robe Fabric - $18.00
    Bandoliers / Dye - $37.00
    Blaster - $20.00 (which I already had on hand)
    Blaster PVC Parts - $19.00
    Gloves - $1.00
    Hand Hardware - $4.00
    For Sale Sign - $3.00
    Batting - $5.00
    Black Felt - $2.00
    Droid Caller - $7.00
    Spray Paints - $8.00

I already had the enamel and acrylic paints on hand, so I won't count those. So excluding my time, unless I missed something, this sucker cost me around $155.00!

I think it was a good bargain.

45. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

Great work! Just goes to show with a bit of imagination you can build almost anything. Well done!

46. mickpell

mickpell New Member

$155 that is such a cool build
    Cracking work - well done:lol

47. Adam C.

Adam C. Well-Known Member

It really did turn out great. Thanks for posting all of the steps you took in creating everything too. Very informative. :thumbsup

48. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

very cool!!!! :)

49. Scurvy Dog

Scurvy Dog New Member

Fantastic! Your weathering on the gun looks good too!

50. keysersoze30

keysersoze30 Well-Known Member

amazing job, looks fantastic

and also a great build thread, very inspirational, congrats