My Ironman Hinge System

MightyJohn

4 Months of brainstorming, 3 major rebuilds, a little help from a mechanical engineer and BAM!

Here is the demo:YouTube - ‪Ironman Helmet Hinge demo‬‏

Each side has a 3 piece hinge system, with 8 pivot points. I used a few low powered magnets on the faceplate and dome to ensure A nice seal when closed. The helmet is a default size Sharkhead.

Last edited:
Methinks I will hit you up in the junkyard...

Thanks, Jedi808.

My wife was present when I had the ephinany of how the hinge system works. She said, she though she saw a lightbulb go on over my head :)

Now that the hinges are complete, I can get back working on the suit (I'll deal with the eyes,arc hands & feet late)

I have a few more ideas for some diagrams for the guide that I'm gonna create when I get to work On Monday.

Congrats MightyJohn!

Your system is one of the best I´ve ever seen ;)

You´re doing honor to your nickname ^^

Wow!! joined the forum after watching your vid... Thanks for sharing your hard work. I have been struggling with a hinge system for about two months. I will definately be paying attention to your offerings in the Junk Yard. Excellent and Awesome. Again, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, everyone for the kind words. I'm just glad it's finished. I sleep better at night :lol

Off topic of the hinges...progress on my Sharkhead helmet. Sanded, touched-up and primed.

HPIM2628.jpg

HPIM2626.jpg

HPIM2621.jpg

HPIM2629.jpg

HPIM2625.jpg

Last edited:
You have made an incredible design. I actually look forward to doing this to one of my 2 helmets for a great new effect.

Rick
Orlando, FL

You have made an incredible design. I actually look forward to doing this to one of my 2 helmets for a great new effect.

Rick
Orlando, FL

Thank you. What helmets do you have?

I'd like to see this system implemented into a hockey helmet, welding shield, bike helmet or something like that. That would be cool.

Back