My Ironman Hinge System

MightyJohn

4 Months of brainstorming, 3 major rebuilds, a little help from a mechanical engineer and BAM!

Here is the demo:YouTube - ‪Ironman Helmet Hinge demo‬‏

Each side has a 3 piece hinge system, with 8 pivot points. I used a few low powered magnets on the faceplate and dome to ensure A nice seal when closed. The helmet is a default size Sharkhead.

Last edited:
Methinks I will hit you up in the junkyard...

Thanks, Jedi808.

My wife was present when I had the ephinany of how the hinge system works. She said, she though she saw a lightbulb go on over my head :)

Now that the hinges are complete, I can get back working on the suit (I'll deal with the eyes,arc hands & feet late)

I have a few more ideas for some diagrams for the guide that I'm gonna create when I get to work On Monday.

Congrats MightyJohn!

Your system is one of the best I´ve ever seen ;)

You´re doing honor to your nickname ^^

Wow!! joined the forum after watching your vid... Thanks for sharing your hard work. I have been struggling with a hinge system for about two months. I will definately be paying attention to your offerings in the Junk Yard. Excellent and Awesome. Again, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, everyone for the kind words. I'm just glad it's finished. I sleep better at night :lol

Off topic of the hinges...progress on my Sharkhead helmet. Sanded, touched-up and primed.

HPIM2628.jpg

HPIM2626.jpg

HPIM2621.jpg

HPIM2629.jpg

HPIM2625.jpg

Last edited:
You have made an incredible design. I actually look forward to doing this to one of my 2 helmets for a great new effect.

Rick
Orlando, FL

You have made an incredible design. I actually look forward to doing this to one of my 2 helmets for a great new effect.

Rick
Orlando, FL

Thank you. What helmets do you have?

I'd like to see this system implemented into a hockey helmet, welding shield, bike helmet or something like that. That would be cool.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back