My home-made totokia/gaffi stick. UPDATE 2/19

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by PropReplicator, Feb 5, 2006.

1. PropReplicator

PropReplicator Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Well, I've been hesitant about buying a real totokia from Fiji because of the inconsistency about accuracy. So, I've decided to start making my own.

I realize, of course, that mine will be inaccurate for several reasons. However, mine is not costing my anything but labor. Free-and-inaccurate doesn't hurt me as much as $175-and-inaccurate. :)

The metal mace was made by forttusken, I believe.
    [​IMG]

The totokia started out as an oak table leg and some other pieces of oak glued up to turn the "ball" end from.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the main shaft of the totokia after turning. Too straight, I know. The real ones have a curve to them. I just can't achieve that on my lathe. :( but it does have the increase in diameter from the "grip" end to the part that joins with the ball end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have a lot of detail to put here by hand.
    [​IMG]

And how it will all come together. I still need to turn the ball end and fit it all together.
    [​IMG]

2. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

VERY NICE.... I too have passed on ordering from any of the online sources of totokias for the same reasons...now if only I had a lathe ;)

Great work on making your own. :thumbsup

Steve

3. PropReplicator

Thanks, Steve. I just hope I find time soon to start turning the ball end. Much of that detailing will need to be done by hand to get the right look, so there'a going to be a lot of time sunk into that one area.

Wayne

4. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wayne, that looks like a superb start. I'm dying to see progress. :)

Dave

5. PropReplicator

Did a bit of work today on the "ball". Still need to do a lot of hand detailing, but I went ahead and started the "ring" details on the lathe.

I went with the "cut off" point, like the one in the Vis Dic. I think it's too long now, but will trim things up when it is all assembled and I can better judge the scale.

Progress shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice how the curve of the "ball" part is asymmetrical from the center line, curving downward at a more drastic rate on the side of the handle. From what I can see of the Vis Dic pics, this is the look I'm after.
    [​IMG]

And here, you get the idea of how it will be joined. I'll need to take some measurements, it looks too long right now. But it will be glued up something like this, with the main shaft inserting into a cavity in the "ball". (That sounds perverted, but you know what I mean. :) ) I'm going for the @45 degree angle rather than the 90 degree. I never liked the 90 degree "look".
    [​IMG]

Wayne

6. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Lookin' sharp :D

7. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Thanks for sharing the updated pics. Looking pretty darn sweet. Cannot wait to see the finished project.

8. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking preety nice. Grabbed up one of my totokias and you have definitely moved past the island production club and headed toward one cool prop.

Nice to see you and The Wampa back in the prop groove.

9. PropReplicator

Thanks, guys. It ain't perfect (I'm already wanting to redo parts of the ball), but will work for me. :)

Wayne

10. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Very cool. Love the action shots on the lathe.

11. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

agreed... lookin' good and you seem to be enjoying the project.

:cheers

T

12. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

WOW looks great......with some stain it will be awesome....maybe if it turns out you can get some molds made?????

Or start growing the trees that they have in FIJI to make them more accurate :p

I'll send you some soil and water :D

brad

13. PropReplicator

Thanks again. I don't think it will be accurate enough to make molds of. If I can fine tune the process, I could certainly make more out of wood, though. I would like to try a few different kinds. Dried oak is killer on my tools and my aching joints. :lol

Wayne

14. PropReplicator

I took a small break from this project. Not because I wanted to, but because more important things came up. But look for another update after this weekend.

W.

15. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

That's looking good Wayne :)

16. tuskentrooper

tuskentrooper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm still waiting for my Hyperfirm version, but here's my home-made job...inaccurate and about $20 or less.

[​IMG]

My visual tutorial is here under Weaponry > Gaderffii > "Pineapple" Gaffi Stick

17. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

great link you provided