My Halloween super budget build!

LordOderus

Hey everyone, as you can see I'm new here. I've made my little noobie introduction post and have even had a few posts in the "SO YOU WANT TO BE PREDATOR FOR HALLOWEEN" thread. haha

First off, this is a simple, super low budget predator costume I'm working on. It's being constructed from cardboard, duct tape and what ever other scraps I can salvage. For the skin, I'm using a tan unitard that my girlfriend is going to help me paint. I've had some luck in the past painting unitards for various superhero costumes. Sadly, my budget is going to hold me back on my mask. I ordered one and a day before I got several warnings from members on this board that it was horrible and way small. Terrible News! Thankfully I will only be out like $15. If it is as bad as I've been told, I will probably end up getting this mask set http://shutupandmakemeasandwichbitch.com/i...edator-mask.jpg Again, not the prettiest thing ever, but I know it will fit because I tried one on last year, and its in my budget range. I'm also planning on rigging up 3 el-cheapo laser dot key rings for the tri laser targeter. I'm going to be basing the chest and shoulder armor of and old set of football pads I got for free from a friend of mine. I've already hacked them apart and am just trying to find my pop riveter so I can start attaching the plates and such. Anyways, enough of all that, here's what I got going so far.

Picture_002.jpg

These are my dreads in progress. The one with the skull will be the center in the back. I'm not sure if I like the skull or not, seems a tad tacky.

Picture_003.jpg

This is my wrist blade gauntlet so far. Still needs a fair amount of work, but you can see where its going.

Picture_007.jpg

Shin guards. Need to add straps and do detail work still

Picture_008.jpg

Shin guard side view

Picture_009.jpg

Plasma burner in progress. I'm going to put a little light in there so it glows. Sadly I'm dumb and already glued the lens in place. STUPID!STUPID!STUPID!

Picture_010.jpg

The bones for my trophy necklace. Taken from a $1 store Halloween decoration.

Anyways, thats what I got so far. Thoughts, and critiques are welcome. Just don't be too judgmental, it is just for a Costume contest/party at a bar for Halloween! Thanks all!

-pete-

Last edited by a moderator:
The hardest part about making anything is getting started, the second hardest part is getting finished. Costume is coming along fine and with luck you should be complete for Halloween. Good luck and keep posting your progress pictures.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I've got a lot of work ahead of me still, but I think I can pull it off. Right now my biggest concern is the mask. It should be here tomorrow or Friday, so at least then I'll see what I've got to work with, and I will have plenty of time to go snag that other crappy one if need be. I was worried about making the loin cloth/skirt thing, but my girlfriend can sew butter to toast, so shes going to give me a hand with it. I will definitely keep posting updates as I make them.

The hardest part about making anything is getting started, the second hardest part is getting finished. Costume is coming along fine and with luck you should be complete for Halloween. Good luck and keep posting your progress pictures.

Im all with you on this quote, mine is 80% complete and just cant seem to find the time to get bits and pieces finished :)

i have the same mask (the second one - rubies mask) i will say its quite big once you get your dreads on it disguises it a bit

here is my costume that i made , the only thing i bought was the hands and feet and dreads , i made the rest

http://www.youtube.com/user/deejaygs#play/...s/4/ED1z28EIKFM

Very nice! Im glad to see that the rubies mask isn't terrible. I'll just have to see what I can do with the one coming, and worse case scenario pick up the rubies mask and go from there. Suit looks great though! Nice work!

Yeah I thought my build would be finished. Only to find out I keep getting more ideas to add to it and make it better =P lol. Anyway Youve got a great start! Keep on going with your build,
I cant wait to see what you got in the end :)

Woot! Fishnet body stocking came in just now. Tried it on, fits great. I will spare you all the image of me wearing nothing but my undies, socks, and a fishnet body suit!

Going to do some more work on the gauntlets today and start working on the chest armor. Ill post pics of whatever I get done!

Got some more work done today. Heres what I got going on...

Picture_013.jpg

Shin guards coming along nicely. Tied in the back, going to trim those down for the final product.

Picture_014.jpg

Shin guard from the side. Dont mind the chicken legs...

Picture_015.jpg

Got more work done on the wrist blade gauntlet and started the computer/bomb gauntlet. I'm going to print up some of the predtech language and put them on the inside after I do some more detail work.

My crappy wolf mask should be showing up tomorrow or Friday, and I'll get a good look at exactly how tiny it is. I saw a picture on here of the mask earlier (thanks to Ptgreek) and it does look tiny, even for my small ass dome. Might end up picking up that Rubies double mask. Also going to keep an eye on Ebay in case some decent bio pops up for cheap enough (although I doubt it, my budget is stretched as it is, keep thinking of more stuff I need)

Anyways, comments or complaints welcome!
-pete-

looking good real good actually the shins are nice if you put some pva glue on your parts you can paint the to give them a metal look but you have to use acrylic paint the craft kind that can be had for less than a dollar keep going youll get there

Got some work done on the hip/groin armor today. Going to have them painted and mounted in a day or two. My girlfriend is getting ready to make my loincloth. I can't sew, but she's great at it.

Still waiting for my crappy Wolf bio to show up so that I can be disappointed and go find something else. Also trying to find someone that has an airbrush so I can do the detail on the skin. Not sure what I'm going to do if I can't find an airbrush. I have used a straw on a spray can in the past, so thats and option I suppose.

Anyways, should have some more pics up tomorrow, thanks for all the tips and compliments. Really helping to keep me motivated!

-pete-

I'm doing my first suits, 3 of them, so I going the budget route. And I hate being hot. So I'm going the tan ubitard route. Where did you get yours? I'm having trouble finding one that will fit me. I think I'm going to have to go with a women's 3x.

I'm doing my first suits, 3 of them, so I going the budget route. And I hate being hot. So I'm going the tan ubitard route. Where did you get yours? I'm having trouble finding one that will fit me. I think I'm going to have to go with a women's 3x.

I got mine from http://www.discountdance.com/

This is the one I ended up getting http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/sty...mp;SID=97167635

I got an XL, largest size that have in that model. It fits great. For a reference, I'm just under 6 foot, and I'm about 140-150 lbs. So I'm pretty skinny. Hope that helps!

Got my trophy necklace done today. All in all it cost me about $1.07 Not too bad. Had the beads laying around, had some string I braided with help from the girlfriend.

Here it is in all it's "glory"

Ok glory is a strong word. But it is acceptable for my needs.

Picture12.jpg

Hip/Groin armor is done. Made from cardboard and attached to a crappy old belt I have. Girlfriend almost has the loincloth/skirt done. Should have pics of that up later tonight. The armor looks a tad shoddy up close, but from a foot or so away it looks pretty sweet. Anyways, here it is.
Picture_016.jpg

Picture_017.jpg

So there it is. As always, please comment or ask questions or mock my work! Whatever it is you feel like saying!

-pete-

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back