My Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Filandrius

Sr Member
Hey guys! Here's some pics of my recently completed Proton Pack. I've been working on that thing on-and-off since the start of 2010. I've found out that the best way to build an accurate pack is to base it on a particular one (since that, in all of the packs used to film the two movies, not two look exactly the same) So that particular pack is built to look like the one Ray uses in GB2 in the courtroom scene. Since I've (finally) managed to find all the accurate greeblies for it, I now consider it done. Enjoy the pics, and let me know what you think!

Holy toaster in a gourmet cafe! That is one amazing replica, i tip my hat off to you. And it's amazing that you could make it in "just" two years. Blimey... I am in awe.

Thanks for the kind words. :) Most of that 2 years had been research, both of info and finding the right parts (some of them are pretty rare & obscure) I can assure you that the next one (which is already planned) won't take as long. Except if I take into account the part researching stage, which has been underway for almost a year. Yeah, those things take time. :)

I thought you were working on a GB1 pack all that time? Did you decide to convert it over?
Yeah, that's a long story. When I started out in 2010, I only knew that I wanted a Proton Pack. GB1, GB2, didn't matter to me. At the time the information available to me suggested that the GB1 packs were a lot harder to complete because of the parts involved. So I went from a GB2, to a GB1 (when the parts became available) back to a GB2 (when they didn't) Finally I've decided to go all the way GB2, because I've discovered with 2+ years of research that a GB2 pack can be exactly as challenging to build (i.e. the rarity of the parts doesn't go with the movie) Anyway, another thing that's weighted on my decision to go all GB2 with that one is that the next one will be GB1. So there. :D

Wonderful work it looks great. I always like to see how people are displaying their packs. Looks like you're using a guitar stand I have mine on a saxophone stand lol.

Very nice. :thumbsup I'm just starting mine so thi is very inspiring.
And a fellow Canuck as well. :)
By a funny coincidence, I've been thinking very hard about starting a Rocketeer helmet build. And I've seen your name more than once in my research. ;) Good luck on your build, and if you need anything just ask.

Wonderful work it looks great. I always like to see how people are displaying their packs. Looks like you're using a guitar stand I have mine on a saxophone stand lol.
Exactly, guitar stand. The only flaw is that it tends to fall on its side. Mostly happens when you don't have the foam padding on top of the ALICE frame (don't ask how I know that)

I'm back with an update to my GB2 Proton Pack, almost a year later. You know what they say, "a pack is never done, only abandoned" and that's pretty much true. I worked a lot since last time to make it as accurate as possible. Well now I truly consider it done (yeah I know :rolleyes) Here's a few things I did on it since last year:

I replaced the battery setup from a bunch of D-cells to a removable, rechargeable battery pack. I only have to plug it in with a small adapter, instead of having to remove the shell from the motherboard to replace the batteries. :eek

I completely repainted the machined aluminum "shock mount" on the bumper. I painted the ribs (in and out) with a gold pen, then I hit the whole thing with a matte clear coat. Now it really looks like the screen-used bellows.

I replaced the R-331 Clippard valve on the pack with a R-701. The particular pack that I replicated (Ray's) has 2 R-701s instead of the "standard" R-331 on the pack (which was used only on Venkman's pack, pretty much)

I replaced the incorrect "fuse" label on top, and the label on the bumper. For both I used Joe Luna's great metallic labels, which are spot-on. I cleared coated them in matte too because they were too shiny (for my pack :lol)

Speaking of the bumper, I replaced my old one with a cast of a screen-used bumper. It's a lot less clean, but the messier the better. I also managed to match the paint job with the one on the pack (which was 2+ years old)

Last but not least, I replaced my 4mm Legris elbows replicas with real vintage ones.

So that's pretty much it! I know the pack is not 100% accurate to the screen-used one, but 100% accuracy is pretty much impossible with these things. Too many variables, and not enough reference! Plus I'd have to replace the shell itself, and that's a big no-no. I'd rather build a new pack! ;)

By the way, the pack I keep mentioning (Ray's pack in the courtroom scene from GB2) is this one. Yes, that's the actual screen-used pack, and that's what I was trying to replicate. Sorry for the overly tight flight suit.

This pack is a beauty, I still remember watching your build thread as it went along. The elbows do make all the difference, don't they?

Now leave this one alone and let's see the GB1 build up begin :)

Last edited:
I remember that thread; good times. :) Thanks for the kind words, it's appreciated. And the GB1 pack is still in the books; unlike the current one I'm waiting until I have everything in hand to start the actual build.

I made a GB1 pack a couple years ago, I knew I wanted a pack from my favorite of the two, so I never looked into the differences between the two, buy with all your photos it's actually fairly noticeable with the differences between the two. I really like the weathering. Chalk, paint, and " leave it in the shop for a couple months" for what methods you used?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back