My Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Filandrius, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Here's some pics of my recently completed Proton Pack. I've been working on that thing on-and-off since the start of 2010. I've found out that the best way to build an accurate pack is to base it on a particular one (since that, in all of the packs used to film the two movies, not two look exactly the same) So that particular pack is built to look like the one Ray uses in GB2 in the courtroom scene. Since I've (finally) managed to find all the accurate greeblies for it, I now consider it done. Enjoy the pics, and let me know what you think!

2. Rymo

Rymo Well-Known Member

Looks amazing!

3. HaroldVonBraun

HaroldVonBraun Well-Known Member

Holy toaster in a gourmet cafe! That is one amazing replica, i tip my hat off to you. And it's amazing that you could make it in "just" two years. Blimey... I am in awe.

4. Filandrius

Thanks for the kind words. :) Most of that 2 years had been research, both of info and finding the right parts (some of them are pretty rare & obscure) I can assure you that the next one (which is already planned) won't take as long. Except if I take into account the part researching stage, which has been underway for almost a year. Yeah, those things take time. :)

5. Phish4dinner

Phish4dinner Active Member

Its about time this pack made it to the rpf! Amazing job as always. Easily one of the finest packs ever made.

6. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I thought you were working on a GB1 pack all that time? Did you decide to convert it over?

7. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Very nice. :thumbsup I'm just starting mine so thi is very inspiring.
    And a fellow Canuck as well. :)

8. Filandrius

Yeah, that's a long story. When I started out in 2010, I only knew that I wanted a Proton Pack. GB1, GB2, didn't matter to me. At the time the information available to me suggested that the GB1 packs were a lot harder to complete because of the parts involved. So I went from a GB2, to a GB1 (when the parts became available) back to a GB2 (when they didn't) Finally I've decided to go all the way GB2, because I've discovered with 2+ years of research that a GB2 pack can be exactly as challenging to build (i.e. the rarity of the parts doesn't go with the movie) Anyway, another thing that's weighted on my decision to go all GB2 with that one is that the next one will be GB1. So there. :D

9. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

Wonderful work it looks great. I always like to see how people are displaying their packs. Looks like you're using a guitar stand I have mine on a saxophone stand lol.

10. Filandrius

By a funny coincidence, I've been thinking very hard about starting a Rocketeer helmet build. And I've seen your name more than once in my research. ;) Good luck on your build, and if you need anything just ask.

11. Filandrius

Exactly, guitar stand. The only flaw is that it tends to fall on its side. Mostly happens when you don't have the foam padding on top of the ALICE frame (don't ask how I know that)

12. Filandrius

I'm back with an update to my GB2 Proton Pack, almost a year later. You know what they say, "a pack is never done, only abandoned" and that's pretty much true. I worked a lot since last time to make it as accurate as possible. Well now I truly consider it done (yeah I know :rolleyes) Here's a few things I did on it since last year:

I replaced the battery setup from a bunch of D-cells to a removable, rechargeable battery pack. I only have to plug it in with a small adapter, instead of having to remove the shell from the motherboard to replace the batteries. :eek

I completely repainted the machined aluminum "shock mount" on the bumper. I painted the ribs (in and out) with a gold pen, then I hit the whole thing with a matte clear coat. Now it really looks like the screen-used bellows.

I replaced the R-331 Clippard valve on the pack with a R-701. The particular pack that I replicated (Ray's) has 2 R-701s instead of the "standard" R-331 on the pack (which was used only on Venkman's pack, pretty much)

I replaced the incorrect "fuse" label on top, and the label on the bumper. For both I used Joe Luna's great metallic labels, which are spot-on. I cleared coated them in matte too because they were too shiny (for my pack :lol)

Speaking of the bumper, I replaced my old one with a cast of a screen-used bumper. It's a lot less clean, but the messier the better. I also managed to match the paint job with the one on the pack (which was 2+ years old)

Last but not least, I replaced my 4mm Legris elbows replicas with real vintage ones.

So that's pretty much it! I know the pack is not 100% accurate to the screen-used one, but 100% accuracy is pretty much impossible with these things. Too many variables, and not enough reference! Plus I'd have to replace the shell itself, and that's a big no-no. I'd rather build a new pack! ;)

13. Filandrius

By the way, the pack I keep mentioning (Ray's pack in the courtroom scene from GB2) is this one. Yes, that's the actual screen-used pack, and that's what I was trying to replicate. Sorry for the overly tight flight suit.

14. adsfuse

adsfuse New Member

This pack is a beauty, I still remember watching your build thread as it went along. The elbows do make all the difference, don't they?

Now leave this one alone and let's see the GB1 build up begin :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  15. Filandrius

I remember that thread; good times. :) Thanks for the kind words, it's appreciated. And the GB1 pack is still in the books; unlike the current one I'm waiting until I have everything in hand to start the actual build.

16. Phish4dinner

One of the best packs ever just got better! Great job as always. It really looks like you took it right off Stantz' back.

17. Filandrius

Why thank you, good sir. :D

18. Volatilesky

Volatilesky New Member

I made a GB1 pack a couple years ago, I knew I wanted a pack from my favorite of the two, so I never looked into the differences between the two, buy with all your photos it's actually fairly noticeable with the differences between the two. I really like the weathering. Chalk, paint, and " leave it in the shop for a couple months" for what methods you used?

19. Jeebee25

Jeebee25 Active Member

It's really a work of art! Well done!

20. techdisaster

techdisaster New Member

Wow - I have lots of respect for this pack and your dedication. Amazing attention to detail!

21. Filandrius

Thanks for the kind words guys, really appreciated. :)

As for the weathering, two words: manhandling and fuller's earth (OK, four words :lol) In the last 2 years that pack went from semi-hero GB2 to hero GB1 all the way to hero GB2. So, in the looong process, I wasn't all that careful with that thing, on purpose. Because the screen-used packs weren't exactly pampered between GB1 & 2, so it gave the weathering a real authentic look (like I always say: there's no weathering like real weathering)

As for the basic paint/weathering method (because I did use one) I base-coated the shell in silver before painting it black. Yes it makes real nice wear effects, and the shell's "chips" matches the ones on the metal parts, but it's not accurate (the real shells were primed in gray) Aside from that, I went over the whole pack with various grades of steel wool, then covered the thing with generous amounts of Fuller's earth. There's nothing to transform your prop from brand new to used than this stuff. It really does miracles.

22. Filandrius

As for the differences between the GB1 & GB2 packs, I could write a book on the subject. Let's just say that it's not as simple as most people think. :)

23. KagaSakai

KagaSakai New Member

Awesome work as always, my friend!

24. domino77

domino77 Member

Looks spot on mate, well done it's amazing :D

25. Filandrius

Thanks guys, you're making me blush. :$

26. robbytherobot

robbytherobot Active Member

Mother pussbucket. That is one nice positron collider.

27. Kadows

Kadows Member

Amazing! Well done!

28. Lifem2000

Lifem2000 New Member

That's awesome!!
    I want one :D

29. Filandrius

Best. Comment. Ever.

Thanks again for the compliments, guys. :)

30. seancoleman

seancoleman Well-Known Member

Pack looks great!

Did you make it from a pack shell?
    If so did you get it local?

31. Filandrius

Yes I used a fiberglass shell, an Alkaline from 2010. I've been working on that for a while, sadly. So the shell wasn't bought recently (I know how hard this can be these days to find one)

32. stallion117

stallion117 New Member

really great work

33. imeson52

imeson52 New Member

that freakin awesome, want one.

34. seancoleman

seancoleman Well-Known Member

In Canada its so hard. So far I cant find a single one. Its frustrating

35. Filandrius

Indeed. I don't even know if anyone is making those in Canada right now. Even the US makers are getting scarce. :rolleyes

36. Phish4dinner

Shells should be the last part anyone worries about when building an accurate Hero pack. By the time you're finished, or close to finished gathering ACCURATE parts, more accurate shells always become available.

37. DeadRoach

DeadRoach New Member

Without your build thread I would have never attempted my own.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

38. Phish4dinner

Agreed. Pure inspiration.

39. Abaka

Abaka New Member

This build thread has pretty much been my bible over on GBfans which sickens med considering I started collecting parts years before you started your build thread (Yes, I am jealous lol)

But seriously, this pack made me want to replicate a pack and considering how easy you've made it to resemble the Stantz pack, that's one I wanna do!!

40. Filandrius

Wow, guys. Those comments are really flattering... :O I've really put my all into this pack (and in the build thread) detailing everything as I discovered it (it WAS my first :$) I look at it now and I'm a little ashamed of some of the mistakes I made (looking at you, silver base coat :rolleyes)

Anyway, once the next build starts I'll start a new thread, which will be extremely detailed in both information and building tips. No wonder why I don't post anything even if I have almost everything in hand; I envision a tutorial-type thread (the first post will be the complete list of components necessary, like a recipe :lol)

Thanks again for the kind words, guys. Happy to have helped, and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

41. adsfuse

adsfuse New Member

I would read that book :)

42. Filandrius

I'll take that as a compliment, even if it means that I'd have to write it. ;)

43. Abiyad

Abiyad New Member

Great pack, I was wondering if it lights up and has the sound effects etc, and if not if you were going to add it?

44. Filandrius

Thanks for the compliment. It lights up, I installed a "deluxe" Exoray light kit in there some time ago. I took pics with the lights up and running but they were messing with the details. :D It doesn't have a sound kit thought, first because I'd have to pretty much re-engineer my light kit (I'd have to replace switches, etc...) and I'm far too lazy for that (worked too much on that thing, too ;)) and second because the screen-used packs didn't have them. So yeah, it's because of accuracy! :lol

EDIT: Dang. I got my camera out to take pics and/or shoot a video of the lights running, but the battery is dead. (The pack's battery, not my camera's battery ;)) Going to charge it and take some pics afterwards.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  45. Filandrius

46. Krim

Krim New Member

No lie, I laughed really hard when I noticed the "Exhibit E" tag.

47. Smitty77

Smitty77 Active Member

That is simply amazing buddy a true work of art!!!!

48. Filandrius

It wasn't meant as a joke, they really had these things in the courtroom scene. It was a happy accident. :D

49. Krim

Krim New Member

Thats actually why I laughed! I totally forgot there was a courtroom scene, until I saw the tag. xD
    It was hilariously accurate.

50. Abiyad

Abiyad New Member