My First Rocketeer Helmet!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by slimesquare, Apr 2, 2012.

1. slimesquare

slimesquare Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So this is my first attempt at a Rocketeer helmet. This helmet was picked up at the HMS prop sale, and it's a very quality cast done by HMS. It had very little clean up work that needed to be done after some solid areas were cleaned out.

so heres the beginning
    [​IMG]

and heres after the first clean up
    [​IMG]

This was after I installed the head fin and primed the whole helmet
    [​IMG]

And finally after some rub n' buff and some debating if I did too much weathering
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is what I have so far....I've put in an order for the helmet liner and I'll have lenses made tomorrow so I can install them. I have more pictures from different angles that I will try and post later.

Thanks guys

2. GeordieIndy

GeordieIndy Well-Known Member

Looks great!!

I really need to do some research into the best helmets out there. I think in the future when I can get some money together I will purchase a Rocketeer helmet, they look very classy!!

Cheers,

Andy

3. Strickler

Strickler Well-Known Member

Though im no expert on little or too much weathering I think its look amazing.

4. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is a very clean looking kit. These are fun helmets to work on.

5. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

While the weathering looks a little bit much, it looks great. You did a bang-up job, that helmet is going to be a masterpiece. :)

6. slimesquare

ok so day two consisted of making the lenses

[​IMG]

I cut some lexan and heated it so it was soft so it would bend nicely and then they were installed

[​IMG]

overall i'm very happy with what I have from start to finish. It has a great look to it and I can't wait to get the helmet liner to give it that little bit extra. I'd like the thank HMS for the awesomely clean casting, like I said very little clean up which made this helmet very easy to do

theres are some extras I took

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and of course being proud
    [​IMG]

thanks guys

7. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

Okay you convinced me, I want one. ;)

8. Jay1138

Jay1138 Active Member

I think you did a great job slimesquare! Weathering is perfect where you got it -don't touch it.

My Rocketeer helmet should be complete in a few months. I've very excited -you have a great helmet! Very classy.

9. slimesquare

If you can the HMS helmet was fantastic to work with

Thanks....the weathering actually came out better than I thought it was going to, though it maybe be a bit much I think it adds that little bit of extra character to it. When I look at vintage style items I perfer them to have some weathering to them. And i'm glad I convinced you that you needed one haha.

10. Valor

Valor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really, nice job. And for my money, there is no such thing as too much weathering on a Rocketeer helmet. The patina just adds layers of character.

11. slimesquare

thanks Valor.....as I patiently await your helmet liner arrival

12. vfxhamilton

vfxhamilton New Member

Really nice helmet. I would love to make a Rocketeer short film. You have inspired me.