My custom Comm-Badges

epilepticsquirl

Sr Member
I had a lot of fun with the contest. So much so that I decided to make two more comms!

My inspiration is almost from a pre-starfleet era, where it is a much more militarized time and the fleet has it's origins from today's armed forces; such as the Air Force. I figured the traditions of it's ancestors were strongly rooted so they would retain the wings of the air force. Also, I wanted to convey a sense of classification within each comm-badge. Much like what the other entrant in the contest did; unfortunately my comm didn't show that very well. Each comm badge would be unique to the duty of that individual for example a pilot and his wings, or a medic and their Star of Life.

Basically, I was trying to get away from the fact that everyone and their mother is qualified to pilot a Starship; even the ships counselor it seems...

So my first comm badge would've been for someone high up, like a Senior pilot.

I had so much fun that I decided to build two more!

I don't have access to a laser cutter or any CNC hardware. But I do have a printer, glue, sander, x-acto knife, spray paint, and lots of styrene sheets. I did these two at the same time. I'm not happy with my paint job, but I do like the results.

This here would be a 1st class Navigators comm-badge. I figured the star and the wing integration was fitting. The wings are over the black stripe to signify Mastery of space navigation.

I screwed up on the hot glue. It's been so long since I worked with that stuff.

Lastly I have my original idea for the contest. I wasn't able to execute it then because I couldn't find the star of life pin. Different colors would signify what class you were; Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Gold being the highest level attainable, much similar to a Paramedic class.

These are really simple and easy to do, and I had a lot of fun in making them. Nothing too terribly complicated, and it's good practice. I hope there are more challenges like this to come! I want to fill up a small presentation box with different kind of comm-badges like this. lemme know what you think! Thanks

Very nice. The wings are a little big and the star of life is a little small, but it is a very cool idea. I like that they have different colors and logos. Also I like that the emblems are ones that mean something today (not just like the ones used in the movie). I think the medical would be my favorite if it were a little bigger, or maybe had the blue air force "wings" of the first one. A medic in the air force?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back