My Cheap Hands

BigEvil

I've seen a few others doing some cheap hand huntorials, they're all roughly similar.......and so is this one (a variation on a theme if you will).

I started with a pair of mechanics gloves from harbor freight (you can get them on sale for around 5 bucks). I'm partial to the feel and the way they fit, not to mention they're pretty durable and hold their shape well through hard use (I am a mechanic after all). I sourced a set of "monster fingers" through a local Halloween shop and I've seen many similar sets in costume shops and online (around 10 bucks).

First things first, lay the parts all out in order and make sure everything lines up and looks right. The fingers I'm using are way to small to fit on my hands and over a glove just isn't going to happen. Therefore I cut the bottom out of the individual fingers making sure to cut in a smooth fashion (note the "u" shaped end in the cut). I do this to make sure the rubbers fingers don't rip while installing or later on through use, stretching a box cut (right angles, corners or points) will almost always result in a tear. Dry fit each finger individually, mark with a marker the knuckle end of the finger and round it off where it meets the hand and cut to fit.

I then use a product called "goop" which is basically rubber cement on major league steroids. Goop the inside end of the fingers, run a bead down the center of the finger, and then slip it into place. I actually also made use of a high temp glue gun the stick the hand end of the rubber finger to the glove at the knuckle (the goop takes a bit of time to cure, the hot glue bit takes a few seconds and its in a place that doesn't need to be terribly flexible).

With the finger in place, put your hand in the glove and curl your fingers into a semi fist shape, the rubber finger on the glove will flex and poof out in certain places, mark the places where it does and trim them off. Make sure to keep the cuts smooth and continuous to minimize the risk of tearing. When the finger flexes with the glove and stays in position, line the perimeter of the rubber finger with the goop and smooth it out to permanently afix it to the glove.

Do all 10, let it dry overnight, touch up any gaps in the morning. Let the goop cure for 24 hours (it will be done when there's no more detectable odor). Follow up the build by latexing the glove and fingers together into one piece, texture as your application requires and paint to match.

pieces_sm.jpg

test_fit_sm.jpg

marked_on_glove_sm.jpg

marked_bend_sm.jpg

cut_sm.jpg

almost_done_sm.jpg

complete_sm.jpg

Latexed the gloves, and painted to match the rest of the Pred. I didn't get to all the detail work I would have liked to have done, but it did show well and will be even better the next time around

Hand_painted.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back