My budget hoverboard build

jedi5150

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, after being inspired by kalkamel's thread, I decided to try my hand at building a hoverboard.

I should have taken more pics from the beginning, but here goes. I started by creating a custom paper size for my inkjet of 8.5" x 26.9" (the longest it would let me make it) and printing the graphics on thin posterboard/cardstock cut to 8.5"x28". Because of the restriction in length, I had to scale the board down slightly. I then 2 pieces of 1/4" foamcore to the correct dimensions, then 2 more 1/2" shorter and narrower. I then laminated these together with the 2 full-size pieces in the middle, with the 2 smaller pieces on top and bottom to allow me to taper the board. I filled in the taper with Elmer's wood filler, cut the angle for the tailkick, glued it back together, and glued on the graphics. Basic board complete:
normal_DSCF9858.JPG

For the magnets, I found these tapered plastic bowls at the dollar store for 2/$1.00:
normal_IMG_20120211_153021.jpg

I cut the bottom 1/2" off, and cut a piece of plexiglass to fill in the top:
normal_IMG_20120211_160740.jpg

After some gluing, filling, and sanding. Unfortunately they're a bit larger than they should be (about 6" at the bottom) but it'll work for this build.
normal_IMG_20120211_223043.jpg

I cut the base of the magnets from styrene:
normal_IMG_20120214_193334.jpg

I then built the clamp pieces from styrene and disposable plastic plates. I filled in behind the plastic plate pieces to give the piece strength.
normal_IMG_20120211_223101.jpg

normal_IMG_20120214_211227.jpg

I made the center clamp piece from 2 pieces of 1/8" styrene (glued together) and used a 1/2" countersink bit for the holes:
normal_IMG_20120214_211522.jpg

And here's a dry test-fit on the board:
normal_IMG_20120214_212125.jpg

Still some paint work to do, then I'll tackle the top of the board with the velcro, foot disc thing with the pink fuzzy stuff, etc.

I realize it isn't perfect, but total cost breaks down like such:

2 pieces foamcore $6.00
plastic bowls $1.00
plastic plates $1.00
pink paint $3.89
primer $0.96
plexiglass scrap $0.00
2 tubes wood filler $6.00
clearcoat $3.89
thin posterboard $1.96
spray adhesive $4.96
1/8" styrene scrap $0.00
TOTAL SO FAR $29.66

Thanks for the compliments!

Tonight I picked up the paint I needed to finish the parts for the underside of the board. I must say, after years of building blasters and lightsabers, I never thought I'd be buying spray paint in hot pink, plumb, and burgundy. But alas, I did. So I painted up the parts and glued them in place on the board!

(dunno what those fingerprint-ish marks on the front magnet are in the pic, can't see 'em in person, must be oils from my fingers or something)

normal_IMG_20120215_205215.jpg

Next, I'll start work on the top of the board.

Here's a fun pic of my hoverboard with some other things from my Back to the Future collection (mostly from the Paper Props threads):
normal_IMG_20120215_214226.jpg

And one with the DeLorean all lit up:

normal_IMG_20120215_214351.jpg

Really not bad for a budget build at all!

One thing I will tell you is that your magnet discs are too large and the kicktail needs a little less pitch. Other than that, it's a job well done - I've seen some pretty shotty replicas of this in my days so pat yourself on the back for not making me cringe.

Dude, that looks amazing!! How did you laminate the foamcore?
By "laminated", I just mean stacked on top of each other. Sorry for any confusion. I just stacked them and glued them together.

Really not bad for a budget build at all!

One thing I will tell you is that your magnet discs are too large and the kicktail needs a little less pitch. Other than that, it's a job well done - I've seen some pretty shotty replicas of this in my days so pat yourself on the back for not making me cringe.

Thanks Frosty! I knew the magnets were too big (I stated so in my first post) but like I said, budget build. As for the kicktail, I cut it at 12.5 degrees then flipped the tail piece over and re-glued it which should make it a 25 degree angle, which is what I thought it was supposed to be based on measurements I found in another thread here. Maybe that's wrong?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back