My budget hoverboard build

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by jedi5150, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Well-Known Member

Well, after being inspired by kalkamel's thread, I decided to try my hand at building a hoverboard.

I should have taken more pics from the beginning, but here goes. I started by creating a custom paper size for my inkjet of 8.5" x 26.9" (the longest it would let me make it) and printing the graphics on thin posterboard/cardstock cut to 8.5"x28". Because of the restriction in length, I had to scale the board down slightly. I then 2 pieces of 1/4" foamcore to the correct dimensions, then 2 more 1/2" shorter and narrower. I then laminated these together with the 2 full-size pieces in the middle, with the 2 smaller pieces on top and bottom to allow me to taper the board. I filled in the taper with Elmer's wood filler, cut the angle for the tailkick, glued it back together, and glued on the graphics. Basic board complete:
    [​IMG]

For the magnets, I found these tapered plastic bowls at the dollar store for 2/$1.00:
    [​IMG]

I cut the bottom 1/2" off, and cut a piece of plexiglass to fill in the top:
    [​IMG]

After some gluing, filling, and sanding. Unfortunately they're a bit larger than they should be (about 6" at the bottom) but it'll work for this build.
    [​IMG]

I cut the base of the magnets from styrene:
    [​IMG]

I then built the clamp pieces from styrene and disposable plastic plates. I filled in behind the plastic plate pieces to give the piece strength.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made the center clamp piece from 2 pieces of 1/8" styrene (glued together) and used a 1/2" countersink bit for the holes:
    [​IMG]

And here's a dry test-fit on the board:
    [​IMG]

Still some paint work to do, then I'll tackle the top of the board with the velcro, foot disc thing with the pink fuzzy stuff, etc.

I realize it isn't perfect, but total cost breaks down like such:

2 pieces foamcore $6.00
    plastic bowls $1.00
    plastic plates $1.00
    pink paint $3.89
    primer $0.96
    plexiglass scrap $0.00
    2 tubes wood filler $6.00
    clearcoat $3.89
    thin posterboard $1.96
    spray adhesive $4.96
    1/8" styrene scrap $0.00
    TOTAL SO FAR $29.66

2. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks better than the "official" Mattel board!

3. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Wow, looks like you're off to a good start! :thumbsup

4. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good jedi5150.

Mattel, I hope you're making notes.

5. GeraldBarnacle

GeraldBarnacle New Member

But does it hover? Time to buy some electro magnets and liquid nitrogen!!

6. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Doug, that is FANTASTIC ! The cherry on the cake is the price :lol :cool

:thumbsup

7. Rymo

Rymo Well-Known Member

Looks great!

8. jedi5150

Thanks for the compliments!

Tonight I picked up the paint I needed to finish the parts for the underside of the board. I must say, after years of building blasters and lightsabers, I never thought I'd be buying spray paint in hot pink, plumb, and burgundy. But alas, I did. So I painted up the parts and glued them in place on the board!

(dunno what those fingerprint-ish marks on the front magnet are in the pic, can't see 'em in person, must be oils from my fingers or something)

[​IMG]

Next, I'll start work on the top of the board.

Here's a fun pic of my hoverboard with some other things from my Back to the Future collection (mostly from the Paper Props threads):
    [​IMG]

And one with the DeLorean all lit up:

[​IMG]

9. MrSinistar

MrSinistar Well-Known Member

Dude, that looks amazing!! How did you laminate the foamcore?

10. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really not bad for a budget build at all!

One thing I will tell you is that your magnet discs are too large and the kicktail needs a little less pitch. Other than that, it's a job well done - I've seen some pretty shotty replicas of this in my days so pat yourself on the back for not making me cringe.

11. jedi5150

By "laminated", I just mean stacked on top of each other. Sorry for any confusion. I just stacked them and glued them together.

Thanks Frosty! I knew the magnets were too big (I stated so in my first post) but like I said, budget build. As for the kicktail, I cut it at 12.5 degrees then flipped the tail piece over and re-glued it which should make it a 25 degree angle, which is what I thought it was supposed to be based on measurements I found in another thread here. Maybe that's wrong?

12. MrSinistar

Ahh, gotcha. Did you use pink insulation foam core? Or craft foam?

Thanks again

13. TechDante

TechDante Active Member

looks brilliant well done

14. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

You could take 100 average fans and show them that and they would all think you stole it off of the set!

15. Dave316

Dave316 New Member

Yeah that really is incredible! I so want one, I'd love to build one myself. Awesome that you did it for so cheap!

16. AKluthe

AKluthe New Member

This looks great. It's a sad day when a "budget hoverboard" looks comparable to a product Mattel wants to sell by preorder...

17. jedi5150

I used what I call "foam core" like this: Pacon Original Foam Core Graphic Art Board, 22in. x 28in., White, Carton of 5.

I picked it up at walmart in the office supply section. It was with the regular poster board.

Thanks for all of the compliments! This is the first "real" prop outside of lightsabers and blasters I've attempted a scratch build of.

18. FakeBritishAccent

FakeBritishAccent Sr Member

Awesome work, dude! I think I just found my next project, thanks to you!

-Jonaas

19. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I would have thought you had alot more into that build if you hadn't shown otherwise, that looks fantastic !

20. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, didn't know, that it really works. Look here: Magnetic Levitation - YouTube

But the question is: Would it be able to bear the weight of a human on a board?

21. Dave316

Dave316 New Member

I'd be happy if it just floated by itself, with nothing on it.

22. Ice086

Ice086 New Member

Looks great so far!

23. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

24. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

ah brilliant!

i was thinkin' about makin something like this the other day, but makin the board as light as possible, then creating a display base full of those strong magnets to repel the board... i saw the same technique done on a floating tardis toy.

25. keysersoze30

keysersoze30 Well-Known Member

that looks amazing and the price :eek:eek

awesome work dude :cool

26. MrSinistar

Sweet, thanks a lot, dude! You did a truly epic job with the budget build! :D

27. steveo3002

steveo3002 Well-Known Member

looks very nice

if only we could find a pro to make durable decals

28. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

Great job for doing it on a budget. Just goes to prove that with a bit of thought you can build some really awesome stuff for very little money.

29. joelgoodson

joelgoodson Well-Known Member

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody had all the required measurements, I would like to build one myself.

Thanks!

30. MrSinistar

If I recall correctly, it's 28" x 8" x 1"

31. Roland

"Profiles in History" says 28 1/2" x 8".

[​IMG]

32. jedi5150

Those are great pics!

I started putting the green and pink velcro on last night, but ran out of velcro. I'll be picking some more up later this week. Adding the fluorescent velcro really makes it "pop". Looks great. I'll post pics soon.

33. oxfer

oxfer New Member

Looks great, good job

34. kev24

kev24 New Member

Looks awesome! I've been working on a similar project the last few days ( I'm a total newbie at this, and just recently picked it up as a hobby), and was getting disheartened by some of the setbacks, but it's great to see it can be done!

Picking up some wood filler in a few days, per your guide.

Also, for the decals, I'd heard somewhere to use self-adhesive laminates from Staples for a gloss effect. Has anyone had any success with that route?

35. jedi5150

I hadn't heard that, but I'd be interested in seeing the results if you try!

Also, don't give up man. This hobby takes patience. LOTS of it, sometimes ;) And welcome!

36. joelgoodson

joelgoodson Well-Known Member

What is the angle of the kicktail? Any tricks for making it too?

thanks

37. jedi5150

That was tough, and I'm not 100% happy with it, but it works. So here's how I did it:

I made the basic board flat, and got done to the point that all of the edges were puttied in etc. Some drawings I found here in another thread said 25 degrees. So, I set my compound miter saw to 12.5 degrees, cut the tail end of the board off at about 3" (I'd probably go 2.5 next time), took the tail piece that I'd cut off, flipped it over, and glued the 2 angles together to make a 25 degree angle (like making a picture frame, cut 2 45 degree angles and glue them together, you get a 90).

After gluing it together, I filled in the "valley" with some putty to give it a more rounded shape, and did the same thing on the "peak" on the underside of the board.

It was tough because my miter saw didn't reach clear across the board, so I had to finish the cut by hand with a hobby saw.

I was surprised, I thought the power saw would melt the styrofoam, so I tested on 4 pieces of scrap layered together to be the same thickness, and it cut it beautifully!

38. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Sheesus, this is a great project. I love it when something comes together, your hoverboard looks nice and authentic. I have yet to see someone nail the pink colour though, it's bright, but not too bright and has an orangey feel to it.

Depending on what board you're looking at.

39. MitasTouch

MitasTouch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Where did you get colored velcro? It's hard to find regular velcro where I live.

40. Roland