My attempt at CW Arrow Deathstroke build

climbnkd

Long time lurker - first time posting. I stumbled upon the Arrow series thanks to Netflix and have been enthralled with it ever since. I attended the FanX 2014 in Salt Lake City as Captain America and decided that I wanted to attend the 2015 Salt Lake Comic Con in September. I am not one to be content just to attend, oh no I definitely have to dress up for it. I didn't want to repeat the Capt America theme so I decided to look into an Arrow costume. As I was researching here on the RPF, I really gravitated towards the Deathstroke character in season 2. After seeing the efforts of others here, I knew it was something I could manage.

I'm not going to be screen accurate for sure but I am planning to get as many of the details as possible correct. To that end, here is where I am at. Some of the items I already have and many others I have ordered.

IMG_2177.JPG

I already have the drop down holsters thanks to my job in law enforcement. I am using the nylon magazine pouches instead of leather (for now). I do have one set of the leather and I may be able to convince one of my coworker to loan me one of theirs since we only wear them for ceremonial purposes.

IMG_2176.JPG

Here is the other mag pouch plus the two others he has one the grenade bandolier. The two other pouches are actually handcuff pouches.

IMG_2178.JPG

I am reusing the pants I used for my Cap costume. They are black Troy Lee Design motocross pants. I had to remove several logos.

IMG_2179.JPG

Finally, I am using my Under Armour boots, also from work.

Thanks to all the amazing research that members have already done, finding most of the other pieces I will be using has been relatively easy. Here is some of the stuff I have ordered as of now.

51ADQzrqmKL.jpg

These are the knock off gloves that look like the Oakleys

51bx6hvQbsL._SL1000_.jpg

Generic 39" wooden sword

61sdwzyXb5L._SL1200_.jpg

Generic rubber knife for the boot. Since I will be going to Comic Con I wanted to make sure everything will pass inspection so I went with plastic. Plus you can't beat $10.

81zYUCKF9nL._SL1500_.jpg

I "splurged" for the real shoulder pads as referenced many time on the RPF. These are the Proflex 210s.

712b46jXSoL._SL1200_.jpg

I'm definitely on a budget so 10 biners for $6.99 sounds great to me. I will paint them orange to match the real thing.

41Y9qWnr08L.jpg

As much as I would love to have a true to form mask, I just can't afford $200+ so I am going to try to make one out of this mask. I have no idea if I will be successful but the mask was only $15 so if it doesn't work I'm out a couple of happy meals. I plan to reshape the mask using rondo or whatever else I can find and paint it to match the correct version. Stay tuned for updates.

I am still deciding on what I will use for the shin and forearm guards. I have seen a couple of good generic versions on Amazon but haven't made up my mind yet.

I also ordered the Korean peel & stick 3D carbon fiber fabric, a black balaclava face mask for under the mask, and a black Dickies chef shirt. I will change the front of the shirt to have a zipper instead of the typical buttons as well as taper the sides so it's not so puffy. I'll be sure to get some good pics when I do that.

That's all for now. I will just ba waiting for shipments to come in for a while and then I will go to work on assembly. I think my biggest challenge is going to be the chest/back protector. I'm still figuring out how I want to do it. I am planning on using EVA foam for the pads though.

Thanks to all the amazing research that members have already done, finding most of the other pieces I will be using has been relatively easy. Here is some of the stuff I have ordered as of now.

View attachment 485941

These are the knock off gloves that look like the Oakleys

View attachment 485942

Generic 39" wooden sword

View attachment 485943

Generic rubber knife for the boot. Since I will be going to Comic Con I wanted to make sure everything will pass inspection so I went with plastic. Plus you can't beat $10.

View attachment 485944

I "splurged" for the real shoulder pads as referenced many time on the RPF. These are the Proflex 210s.

View attachment 485945

I'm definitely on a budget so 10 biners for $6.99 sounds great to me. I will paint them orange to match the real thing.

View attachment 485951

As much as I would love to have a true to form mask, I just can't afford $200+ so I am going to try to make one out of this mask. I have no idea if I will be successful but the mask was only $15 so if it doesn't work I'm out a couple of happy meals. I plan to reshape the mask using rondo or whatever else I can find and paint it to match the correct version. Stay tuned for updates.

I am still deciding on what I will use for the shin and forearm guards. I have seen a couple of good generic versions on Amazon but haven't made up my mind yet.

I also ordered the Korean peel & stick 3D carbon fiber fabric, a black balaclava face mask for under the mask, and a black Dickies chef shirt. I will change the front of the shirt to have a zipper instead of the typical buttons as well as taper the sides so it's not so puffy. I'll be sure to get some good pics when I do that.

That's all for now. I will just ba waiting for shipments to come in for a while and then I will go to work on assembly. I think my biggest challenge is going to be the chest/back protector. I'm still figuring out how I want to do it. I am planning on using EVA foam for the pads though.

I dig that mask. Where did you find it? I think I could use it for something!

So I was looking at some of the photos that I have gathered from the ol' interweb and I think that my mask is the same as the ones worn by Deathstroke's soldiers. What do you think?

72243jpg-9aa9f6.jpg

I also found this on Amazon for a mere $9.99

40MM pouch.jpg
I consider it a big score since I am somewhat limited by funds.

I've received a bunch of stuff but I am still waiting for the blue carbon fiber cloth to arrive so I can start covering the necessary areas. I'll update with more pics when I really strt working on putting everything together.

So I decided to tackle one of the parts of this build that I knew I needed but didn't want to spend a bunch of money on, that being the 40mm grenades. While sitting at work today, staring at my computer screen, an idea came to me. What if I used the correct sized PVC pipe to create the grenades and then painted them to match the brass color. So right after work I headed to the local big box home supply and got me some PVC. Here's how it turned out:

IMG_2236.JPG
Here is the pipe. I ended up with 1 1/2 schedule 40 PVC which has an outside diameter that is really close to 40mm. The gold part is from a test spray I did before taking the picture. Only now do I realize it looks kind of like a giant cigarette.

IMG_2240.JPG
I used a 1" cap for the end of the grenade. Here I have sanded the end to try and make it rounder.

IMG_2237.JPG
This is a 1" to 1/2" reducer for the cap. It is a tiny bit loose inside the pipe but I think I figured out a way to make it work. My plan is to apply a vinyl sheet to the top to cover the hole and then paint it to match the rest.

IMG_2241.JPG
Here I am in the middle of the project. The one on the left is my first attempt. I was originally going to make the projectile black using plastidip but decided to stick to the more screen accurate version of all brass. The one in the middle is version 2. I beveled the edge between the cap and the tube.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Here is the mostly finished result of version 1. Not too bad for my first try. I think I'll get much better at this as I practice.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Here is version 2. Definitely getting better.

So that's as far as I made it today. These cost me about $3.00 each to make verses the $25-30 I would have to pay for the airsoft version. I think if I was going to wear this more than just Comic Con I would splurge a little and get the airsoft ones. For now I'm pretty happy with these since they will most likely never leave the pouches.

I promise I haven't been slacking on the build. Mostly I have been waiting for parts and pieces to come in. I did get the mask and have already painted it. Thought you would like to see it.

IMG_2250.JPG

Sorry it's sideways, but you get the idea.

I also got most everything else but it is in various stages of completion. I'm hoping to get the majority of it complete this week and I will post more pics. The main thing I have to work on is the chest and back pieces. I'll admit I'm a little apprehensive about starting it. Hopefully it will turn out good.

More to come soon.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back