Frogfreak

Sr Member
Hey guys, as you may have seen recently, I am working on making my own Palpatine prosthetic mask/makeup.
(If you wanna check out how that's going, it's right HERE: Palpatine sculpt/upcoming facial prosthetics )

Now, that's only part of it. As the title implies, I'm working on my own full palpatine costume, but I need it to be pretty cheap as I'm on a tight budget. (As usual) so I'm curious if anybody has any ideas on how to do any of the parts of the palpatine costume for cheap, I'd be very greatful!

I'm looking for help with finding cheap materials, cheap parts or ways to make some parts, (such as the clasp and cane) and sources for things like the boots, and patterns would also be very much-so appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

A friend of mine sent me a link to a robe on ebay, and I don't think it looks bad overall, but there are a few issues, like for one it's not waffle-weave, and it doesn't look to have the right Clasp/Brooch. But it's overall look isn't awful, and it's only like $50.

Here's a picture. (Not gonna post the link just to be safe)
s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 151
Is this a costume that's just for fun or are you looking for a 501st approval? If it's just a for fun costume the robe you linked would probably be just fine. Hardly anyone would notice the inaccuracies unless they were a Palpatine buff. If you're looking to be approved in the 501st with the costume that robe wont work at all and it's unlikely that you'd be able to find a complete set for only $100 unless you made it all yourself (and even then it would probably still cost more than $100).

When it comes to costuming I always like the rule of thumb...
-The costume is accurate.
-The costume is cheap.
-The costume is made quickly.
You can only choose two of the options above. That is, the costume can be accurate and cheap but it wont be finished quickly. It can be accurate and made quickly but it wont be cheap. It can be cheap and made quickly but it wont be accurate.

Is this a costume that's just for fun or are you looking for a 501st approval? If it's just a for fun costume the robe you linked would probably be just fine. Hardly anyone would notice the inaccuracies unless they were a Palpatine buff. If you're looking to be approved in the 501st with the costume that robe wont work at all and it's unlikely that you'd be able to find a complete set for only $100 unless you made it all yourself (and even then it would probably still cost more than $100).

When it comes to costuming I always like the rule of thumb...
-The costume is accurate.
-The costume is cheap.
-The costume is made quickly.
You can only choose two of the options above. That is, the costume can be accurate and cheap but it wont be finished quickly. It can be accurate and made quickly but it wont be cheap. It can be cheap and made quickly but it wont be accurate.
I know I won't be able to do 501st approved stuff anywhere near my budget, so I'm just trying make it still look really good, but still work in my budget and be done somewhat soon. With the robe posted above, it has a pretty close shape and silhouette to palpatine robe, but it's not waffle-weave. And another issue with it, is the fact that the brooch is not even close whatsoever. I'd be making a new one though. So, I think I'll get the above one of I can't figure out anything better. Although, The GE robes are definitely really nice for $250 for the set! (Over and under robes)

I do however need to figure out what I'm gonna do about the under robe...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back