My Adventures in 3D Printing

3D printing ain’t always fun and games…but I do enjoy the tinkering.

The Bowden tube on my AnyCubic Vyper popped out of the extruder. A lot of folks recommended replacing it with a Capricorn tube and upgraded fittings. So I purchased a kit from Amazon. The removal/replacement was easy enough, but now the printer is consistently clogging. Been watching some videos online on potential issues and how to resolve them, but haven’t had much success as of yet… Will keep at it.

Sean
CCA59EFE-2307-43D8-98AB-BDAFAB23DB05.jpeg

I switched to a Capricorn XS tube on my Mega X and that resulted in stringing and occasional clogging. When I went back to a regular non-Capricorn tube, the problem went away.

Really loving the Kobra Max!

Needed a few measurements for the Mando leather goods, so printed the right shin pieces. Again, I have done nothing to this printer as far as calibrations go (although I fully intend to).

Sean

Shin halves (oriented upside down for ease of supports):
View attachment 1565528

Shin cover strip:
View attachment 1565529

What manner of sorcery is THIS!?!?

No subtle layer shifts? Clean lines ALL THE WAY UP!?!?

I must roll a D20 to see if I successfully disbelieve!!!

What manner of sorcery is THIS!?!?

No subtle layer shifts? Clean lines ALL THE WAY UP!?!?

I must roll a D20 to see if I successfully disbelieve!!!
Yeah, the Kobra Max is a beast! I've been super-pleased with it. I have done zero calibrations on it, and it's cranking out consistently good prints.

Sean

Yeah, the Kobra Max is a beast! I've been super-pleased with it. I have done zero calibrations on it, and it's cranking out consistently good prints.

Sean
Hmmm.

Did the purchase involve a signature in blood?

Animal sacrifice?

Temporary possession?

Reading from a scroll that burst into flame upon completion?

Accellerated aging with each print?

Either way, nice print

Hmmm.

Did the purchase involve a signature in blood?

Animal sacrifice?

Temporary possession?

Reading from a scroll that burst into flame upon completion?

Accellerated aging with each print?

Either way, nice print
Thanks!

Yes, the terms of service said something about handing over your soul, but I also agreed to give Apple my soul to use iTunes, so they'll have to figure it out...

Sean

Finally got the Vyper back up and running! I ended up reinstalling the stock Bowden tube and replacing the nozzle, which had gotten clogged. I kept the new fittings that came with the Capricorn tube, and they worked well with the stock Bowden tube.

Once I got that going, I had all 4 printers up and running at once!

AnyCubic Vyper - owl to prove out repair
AnyCubic Kobra Max - commission work
AnyCubic Photon Mono X - commission of Boba Fett armor
Phrozen3D Sonic Mega 8K - Mandalorian armor for me

Sean
9CB39A2D-1783-4781-A88A-97E72673110D.jpeg

Having a little fun and printed this Kenobi blaster from mystery makers (mysterymakers is creating Premium 3D models for 3d printing - the crème de la crème of 3D | Patreon) on the Vyper.

This served as a test print to prove out some of the repairs and modifications I’ve done to the Vyper. Plus it gives my kid something to play with. Not intended to be a polished finished piece, just seeing what comes off the printer.

Printed in black PLA+

Sean
View attachment 1593690
Are they your own alterations or are you test printing for MM

masterjedi322
I'm in the market for a new FDM printer and I'm thinking of the Kobra Max based on your experience, however, I've investigated that the current version of Cura doesn't have the Max as a prepackaged profile. There seem to be a few online, and some YT instructions, but they don't use the faster speeds that the Max is capable of. What is your review of the Kobra Max? Game changer in regards to speed? I currently have a CR10S and I bumped the speed up to 60mm/s and I'm still getting good results.

TazMan2000

masterjedi322
I'm in the market for a new FDM printer and I'm thinking of the Kobra Max based on your experience, however, I've investigated that the current version of Cura doesn't have the Max as a prepackaged profile. There seem to be a few online, and some YT instructions, but they don't use the faster speeds that the Max is capable of. What is your review of the Kobra Max? Game changer in regards to speed? I currently have a CR10S and I bumped the speed up to 60mm/s and I'm still getting good results.

TazMan2000
Always depends on what's important for your use cases, like how there's the Anycubic Chiron that's massive enough that it can pump out a whole helmet in one go.

masterjedi322

TazMan2000
I have 2 x cr10s printers and they both run at 75mm/s with great results print with sunlu pla+

Always depends on what's important for your use cases, like how there's the Anycubic Chiron that's massive enough that it can pump out a whole helmet in one go.

Thanks. Totally overlooked the Chiron. I like the build capacity of the CR-10S, and I won't go any smaller than that, but I am now looking to upgrade with speed and build capacity in the X-Y direction. My CR-10S has been a workhorse, but I'm impatient.

TazMan2000

I have 2 x cr10s printers and they both run at 75mm/s with great results print with sunlu pla+

Is your hotend 12 or 24 volts? Any upgrades to the PC board? I've been using CURA since the first day I bought my CR-10S and used CCTREE PLA. Worked flawlessly until CCTREE changed their recipe. I had breakages of the filament inside my extruder tube which caused jams. Ever since I switch over to Anycubic PLA, all those problems went away. However, I've noticed that my printing has become slower every time I upgrade CURA. The recommended profiles do not give me issues with quality, but they certainly are taking longer.

I'll experiment with my speeds. Would you be able to post a screen capture of all your speeds?

TazMan2000

Are they your own alterations or are you test printing for MM
Testing printing to demonstrate that the modifications I made to my Vyper are working.
masterjedi322

TazMan2000
Yes, there's currently no Kobra Max profile in Cura. I used the CR6 SE profile and adjusted the print volume to match the Kobra Max. Someone had suggested it for the Vyper, and it seemed to work well. It's been yielding great results with my Kobra Max!

I have not adjusted the default speed settings in the profile, so I can't answer your question. I mostly print for myself with a commission here and there, so speed is not typically one of my objectives. Given how finicky some printers can be, I embrace the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy with my printers. So since the default speeds seem to be working fine, I doubt I'll muck with them.

Sean

Last edited:
Testing printing to demonstrate that the modifications I made to my Vyper are working.

Yes, there's currently no Kobra Max profile in Cura. I used the CR6 SE profile and simply adjusted the print volume to match the Kobra Max. Someone had suggested it for the Vyper, and it seemed to work well. It's been yielding great results with my Kobra Max!

I have not adjusted the default speed settings in the profile, so I can't answer your question. I mostly print for myself with a commission here and there, so speed is not typically one of my objectives. Given how finicky some printers can be, I embrace the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy with my printers. So since the default speeds seem to be working fine, I doubt I'll muck with them.

Sean

Thanks.

TazMan2000

Is your hotend 12 or 24 volts? Any upgrades to the PC board? I've been using CURA since the first day I bought my CR-10S and used CCTREE PLA. Worked flawlessly until CCTREE changed their recipe. I had breakages of the filament inside my extruder tube which caused jams. Ever since I switch over to Anycubic PLA, all those problems went away. However, I've noticed that my printing has become slower every time I upgrade CURA. The recommended profiles do not give me issues with quality, but they certainly are taking longer.

I'll experiment with my speeds. Would you be able to post a screen capture of all your speeds?

TazMan2000
1st cr10s has been converted to direct drive and has a silent board can’t remember what board I put in, it’s been a while 24 volt hot end
image.jpg

The 2nd cr10s is all standard, had it 4 years only upgraded the satiability of it and put damper’s on the motors, again 24 volt
Both machine’s have the same speeds but different profiles due to each having different hot ends
I use S3d slicer

I also use an ender 5plus for the full helmets upgrades is a silent board ( for now ) at 75mm/s

The Ender 5+ was on my radar as well, but I wanted to get one that Creality already upgraded and fixed with all of the improvements, and not have to do that myself.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back