My Adventures in 3D Printing

A friend of mine has a trip to the Galactic Starcruiser coming up and asked me to print some stuff he can give out while he’s there...

First up are some porg tikis. This is the first time I’ve printed with a wood-based filament, and while there was some stringing, not too bad…

Sean
736C8B83-7DEC-4A52-9088-1040D27E249E.jpeg

While I love the AnyCubic Kobra Max, I have cracked two of the glass print beds so far...

Don’t understand why they didn’t ship it with a PEI sheet, like the Vyper has, but I found this one online that is close enough in dimension that it should work. Hope to get it installed soon!

Sean

727EF4E1-DCA0-4279-8E08-C0627E7140E9.jpeg

Boba Fett pistol for my friend who is doing a Mando/BoBF build. Printed in Phrozen’s Prototype Rigid resin. The gray on the handle is some primer I threw on to see how it would look.

I haven’t actually finished any printed resin pieces yet, but the brief time I spent sanding and priming that part of the handle was very encouraging!

Files are from Mystery Makers - mysterymakers is creating Premium 3D models for 3d printing | Patreon

Sean

ECDADD64-FBCA-4A7B-BFCA-99C3A38281FD.jpeg

The FEP on my Mono X leaked, and resin got all over the LCD…
E872E65B-C6CA-4EF4-8A48-E416E8C02A3A.jpeg

I tried all the usual tricks - soaking it in IPA and trying to scrape it off, but I think it was a lost cause.

Let that be a lesson kids - use protection! A screen protector that is!

New LCD from AnyCubic arrived quickly and was surprisingly simple to install! I also threw a screen protector as to avoid any recurrences of the leaking FEP problem…

So new LCD and new FEP for the Mono X! Time to run some test prints…

Sean

Ugh. That SUCKS when the tank leaks.

Really clean straight razors might get it off with minimal scratching, but with it being cured, it's mess.

You might also try (for the benefit of others) some of the glass stove top cleaner stuff. Designed to get baked-on food off glass without ruining the glass... might actually work. I have some (somewhere) but fortunately no tank leaks.

Sean - I hope you don't mind me sharing this. It looks like this thread is collaborative, so I wanted to get this info to folks looking to vent their stinky resin printers.

My shop is in my basement and so my first step was getting a glass repair shop to swap the glass window out for polycarbonate. I then cut a 4" hole and fixed a vent tube mount with 4 screws. I ordered stiff stainless steel screen material and cut a circle shape to affix inside the tube mount to keep critters out. I am using a Vivosun grow tent to house my printer and a Vivosun 195 CFM inline duct vent fan to suck the fumes out. It's a big grow tent, but I have a Saturn so I need to be able to lift the cover up and off. When I upgrade to the Jupiter it will be a tighter fit, but that is a front load setup. I used plastic strapping material to suspend the duct. It's easy to work with and the slight vibrations shouldn't wear on the duct work over time like steel might.

I researched how to do this and found that info is limited. So, if anyone has questions please ask. If I can save you time, I'm happy to help. Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 65
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 66
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 58
Sean - I hope you don't mind me sharing this. It looks like this thread is collaborative, so I wanted to get this info to folks looking to vent their stinky resin printers…
Not at all! And great solution! I did something similar to vent paint fumes in my old house. Need to find how to vent my current shop as there are no windows…

Sean

Had a print on my Phrozen Sonic Mega 8K completely fail, but in a really weird way. The printed objects themselves came out OK, but there were these…random strings of uncured resin running in between the parts. Have never seen this before.

I suspected it might be the LCD, but the LCD test and the vat cleaning functions all seem to work just fine.

Not sure what to do, I took the build plate off and removed the resin vat and just ran the print to see what the screen was doing and saw this (see video below)…

Given the LCD test continues to work fine, I suspected it might be a corrupted file or possibly the latest version of Lychee, so I re-sliced it and reran the print file - LCD is still flickering…

I’m currently rerunning an older print I ran successfully to see if the screen does the same thing. If so, I think the LCD might need to be replaced…

Sean

I had that issue myself. Seems to come and go. I'm using Photon Workshop.

Try blocking all outside light, and put a piece of carboard over the machine to create a shadow. Even LED, incandescent and fluorescent lighting emit a little UV.

TazMan2000

When I ran out of Anycubic resin, I used Elegoo. Even though they are both 405nm wavelength resins, perhaps mixing the remnants of the two could have caused my problems, now that I think about it.

TazMan2000

Still trying to figure out what’s going on with the Mega, but nothing conclusive. Will run a few more tests today…

Sean
Continue troubleshooting the Mega… Unfortunately, I’ve done everything I can think of and the problem persists. I’ve opened a ticket with Phrozen who has been very responsive. They have a few things for me to check.

Here‘s what my latest failed print looks like… You can see the pieces largely printed but these layers of partially cured resin make them unusable…

Sean

6DF92990-20A4-4A59-A03D-786CFAA4890E.jpeg

argh.jpg

26 hours into the print job... I'd guess it happened about 30 min after I checked it and went to bed. It then proceeded to make spaghetti for the next 8 hours.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back