My 1939 Batman cowl sculpt

AdamL

Here's my sculpt in progress for a cowl based on Batman's first appearance back in '39. It's my favorite Batman design because of the ears so I thought I'd tackle it. Let me know what you think.

20a5rfd.jpg

v73y9f.jpg

2my22qs.jpg

xddpjk.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I could bump this up since I've done a little bit more work on this since I first posted here. Sadly I forgot to bring my camera with me last night but these pictures are from a few days ago. Let me know what you guys (and girls) think.

20a5rfd.jpg

v73y9f.jpg

2my22qs.jpg

xddpjk.jpg

Well I'm hoping once I get all my other assignments out of the way that I finish within the next two weeks. After that, casting begins ASAP, since I submitted it to an art show at my school and I want to be finished before it goes in.

I think this was a great design choice. I love the original mask; it looks very sinister. Later artists seemed to treat the mask as just something to hide the character's identity. I believe for Kane and Finger, the original designers of Batman, the mask's real purpose was to be scary and frighten criminals. Good work; It looks authentic.

Barry

Always loved how he appeared early on.

Great job and looking forward to see you finish.

Thanks a lot guys. I've always preferred this design ever since I saw it, the ears are so unique. I love when they change the ears to look like this in more current issues, looks so badass on a modern batman. I can't wait to finish either, I've just got a lot on my plate right now so I can't work on it this weekend.

@Too Much Garlic: Here's a couple pictures of the older design. I'm going for a mix of all of them, since in every issue there was a slight difference between ear height, angle, etc.

p8170003.jpg.w300h324.jpg

e2batman1.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking great man! Are you gonna go for real late 30's and early 40's props and stuff if you make the entire costume? I always thought it would be awesome to get real 1930's and 40's detective gear for a costume like this.

I would slim down the top of the head a bit. Too large a cowl will make the jaw seem smaller. You'd want the large square jaw look in that mask. Would also make the ears appear longer.

Maybe some of you could give me a hand. I need to know what I should do about this. I want it as comic accurate as possible without making it look cheap, so the parts on the cheek probably need to change. In the old comics, it was more like the picture on the left side, and right now the actual sculpt is the one on the right. It was sometimes like the one on the bottom too, so it's between the three of these. Any help would be appreciated.

15xvhph.jpg

2a7djkg.jpg

Here's my sculpt in progress for a cowl based on Batman's first appearance back in '39. It's my favorite Batman design because of the ears so I thought I'd tackle it. Let me know what you think.

20a5rfd.jpg

v73y9f.jpg

2my22qs.jpg

xddpjk.jpg

this is awesome. Are you make this for your personal costume? Im asking because I know a guy who has the master replica belt from that show and does replicas.

This is awesome. I remember watching some of the old batman 1949 serial when I was a little. This makes me want to find & re-watch some of those old VHS tapes.

At first glance, I thought the mouth was also done in clay (don't know why) & if it was, it'd look a lot like cowl from Batman Beyond. They irony of that is killing me.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back