Mulan to be Disney's next live action adaptation

Riceball

Master Member
It looks like that the next movie in Disney's animated to live action line up will be Mulan, while not one of my favorite Disney animated movies it should be interesting. I do hope that Disney does it and goes with an all Asian cast for this adaptation and not pull an Avatar/Last Airbender and cast a bunch of white actors instead, even better would be an all Chinese main cast but that would probably be a little too much to ask for. What would also be cool is if they figure out someway to get Ming Na Wen in the movie since she did voice Mulan in the original, it would be a nice nod to the original.

It's also going to be interesting to see how they handle Mushu, while the idea of talking pet dragon worked fine in the original animated movie I'm not sure that he would translate too well into the live action version. If they do decide to incorporate Mushu into the live action adaptation I think that it would be pretty funny if they decided to ask Eddie Murphy to reprise his role and do the voice again.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...e-action-‘mulan’/ar-AAaeIsL?ocid=ansVariety11

This actually kind of excites me. This could be fantastic if they do it right.
I hope they keep the dragon stylistic and kind of cartoony, and don't go all hyper-realistic with him like those ghastly creatures in "Maleficent".
And absolutely cast Asians. They shouldn't be too hard to find in California.
I'm looking forward to this. Don't screw it up, Disney!

I hope they have something that resembles a little dragon, if Disney can pull off a live action Alice in Wonderland and all its insane creatures, a little talking dragon shouldnt be that farfetched lol

I really hope they do not bring back voices like Eddie Murphy and actors from the original. I want to see them do something new, fresh and original with this version. If I want to hear Eddie Murphy spitting out the same jokes and re-enacting that role, I will just pop in the original and watch it. That is just my opinion. It would be great if they take it into a very serius direction and maybe even make it a grand production like the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit.

I will be all over this - I loved the animated movie.

I suppose Zhang Ziyi would be too old for the role, though I'd love to see her in more movies.

You can't have too much Zhang Ziyi.
Is she too old? How old is she now? (off to google...)

Edit: Cripes... She's 36.

How 'bout Jamie Chung?

She is getting married too..so she gonna be busy already. I would love her show up as a different character tho.

my Mulan pick : Ellen Wong..you guys might recall her as playing knives Chau in Scott pilgrim vs the world.

no Eddie Murphy please.

oh and Disney hasn't pulled off a live version of Alice in Wonderland. That movie was so bad on so many levels.

Actually I was surprised that was a animated film to begin with... could have been done as a live action movie from the get go without all the cartoony feel to it.

While not one of my favorite Disney cartoons the live action story, I feel, has tremendous dramatic potential.

Disney doesn't have to do Mulan to get China. In fact a film spectacle set in the west is more likey to do better.
If you want a successful film in China just make another transformers type of movie.

Western filmmakers simply can't make films set in the east that are convincing to an Eastern audience.
Eastern productions have the same problem when they try to make Western films.

I don't think Disney is that naive to do this just for China.

It's pure economics. Disney princess stuff frequently tops the list of best-selling entertainment products. It's a billion dollar industry.

This... really isn't news. Disney's been poking at a live-action Mulan for at least a year-and-a-half.

Actually I was surprised that was a animated film to begin with... could have been done as a live action movie from the get go without all the cartoony feel to it.

Maybe not as far back as Disney's animated one, but there was a live-action film. I rather like it, even if I would have preferred it to be a bit longer.

--Jonah

Disney doesn't have to do Mulan to get China. In fact a film spectacle set in the west is more likey to do better.
If you want a successful film in China just make another transformers type of movie.

Western filmmakers simply can't make films set in the east that are convincing to an Eastern audience.
Eastern productions have the same problem when they try to make Western films.

I don't think Disney is that naive to do this just for China.

You're forgetting any subsidies the Chinese government will throw in to reduce the production and P&A budget, plus possibly better terms on distribution and release in a country that's notorious for being very difficult on those fronts. Mulan's backdrop was the Han Chinese defending their country against invading Mongolians, so for the Chinese government this is basically Disney helping you out with a nice little nationalistic feature film that'll be shown globally. Also don't forget Disneyland Shanghai opening next year. I'm not saying this is purely a China market play but it's certainly a large enough factor to push this over the greenlight fence when you're looking at Mulan vs other animated classics like Aladdin.

You're forgetting any subsidies the Chinese government will throw in to reduce the production and P&A budget, plus possibly better terms on distribution and release in a country that's notorious for being very difficult on those fronts. Mulan's backdrop was the Han Chinese defending their country against invading Mongolians, so for the Chinese government this is basically Disney helping you out with a nice little nationalistic feature film that'll be shown globally. Also don't forget Disneyland Shanghai opening next year. I'm not saying this is purely a China market play but it's certainly a large enough factor to push this over the greenlight fence when you're looking at Mulan vs other animated classics like Aladdin.
Well when you put it that way ... :thumbsup

It looks like that the next movie in Disney's animated to live action line up will be Mulan, while not one of my favorite Disney animated movies it should be interesting. I do hope that Disney does it and goes with an all Asian cast for this adaptation and not pull an Avatar/Last Airbender and cast a bunch of white actors instead, even better would be an all Chinese main cast but that would probably be a little too much to ask for. What would also be cool is if they figure out someway to get Ming Na Wen in the movie since she did voice Mulan in the original, it would be a nice nod to the original.

It's also going to be interesting to see how they handle Mushu, while the idea of talking pet dragon worked fine in the original animated movie I'm not sure that he would translate too well into the live action version. If they do decide to incorporate Mushu into the live action adaptation I think that it would be pretty funny if they decided to ask Eddie Murphy to reprise his role and do the voice again.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/disney-developing-live-action-‘mulan’/ar-AAaeIsL?ocid=ansVariety11
Just watched this new live action Mulan and figure I would search for any old threads on it, and so, going to post here. I hardly remember anything from the 1998 movie, although I worked at the movie theater when it came out. I actually remember more from the movie playing Kingdom Hearts 2, terrible, I know.
I do see why they left out Mushu, as this had a much more serious tone. I definitely thought it was beautifully filmed.
BUT, my biggest, WHOO WHO moment was that quick cameo by Ming-Na Wen at the end.
While the actress did a good job, it still seemed a bit unbelievable that they could really think she was a guy....but even more so about halfway through the movie,(maybe a bit more) where she undoes her hair bun and in the next scene her hair is all done and with curls.....that was a big, "Oh Hollywood" moment.......

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back