Mulan to be Disney's next live action adaptation

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Riceball, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

It looks like that the next movie in Disney's animated to live action line up will be Mulan, while not one of my favorite Disney animated movies it should be interesting. I do hope that Disney does it and goes with an all Asian cast for this adaptation and not pull an Avatar/Last Airbender and cast a bunch of white actors instead, even better would be an all Chinese main cast but that would probably be a little too much to ask for. What would also be cool is if they figure out someway to get Ming Na Wen in the movie since she did voice Mulan in the original, it would be a nice nod to the original.

It's also going to be interesting to see how they handle Mushu, while the idea of talking pet dragon worked fine in the original animated movie I'm not sure that he would translate too well into the live action version. If they do decide to incorporate Mushu into the live action adaptation I think that it would be pretty funny if they decided to ask Eddie Murphy to reprise his role and do the voice again.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...e-action-‘mulan’/ar-AAaeIsL?ocid=ansVariety11

2. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

This actually kind of excites me. This could be fantastic if they do it right.
    I hope they keep the dragon stylistic and kind of cartoony, and don't go all hyper-realistic with him like those ghastly creatures in "Maleficent".
    And absolutely cast Asians. They shouldn't be too hard to find in California.
    I'm looking forward to this. Don't screw it up, Disney!

3. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

I hope they have something that resembles a little dragon, if Disney can pull off a live action Alice in Wonderland and all its insane creatures, a little talking dragon shouldnt be that farfetched lol

4. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really hope they do not bring back voices like Eddie Murphy and actors from the original. I want to see them do something new, fresh and original with this version. If I want to hear Eddie Murphy spitting out the same jokes and re-enacting that role, I will just pop in the original and watch it. That is just my opinion. It would be great if they take it into a very serius direction and maybe even make it a grand production like the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit.

5. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I will be all over this - I loved the animated movie.

I suppose Zhang Ziyi would be too old for the role, though I'd love to see her in more movies.

Axlotl likes this.
  6. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

You can't have too much Zhang Ziyi.
    Is she too old? How old is she now? (off to google...)

Edit: Cripes... She's 36.

How 'bout Jamie Chung?

7. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

She is getting married too..so she gonna be busy already. I would love her show up as a different character tho.

my Mulan pick : Ellen Wong..you guys might recall her as playing knives Chau in Scott pilgrim vs the world.

no Eddie Murphy please.

oh and Disney hasn't pulled off a live version of Alice in Wonderland. That movie was so bad on so many levels.

Wes R likes this.
  8. LrdSatyr8

LrdSatyr8 Sr Member

Actually I was surprised that was a animated film to begin with... could have been done as a live action movie from the get go without all the cartoony feel to it.

9. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  10. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I'm liking Ellen Wong.

11. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

While not one of my favorite Disney cartoons the live action story, I feel, has tremendous dramatic potential.

12. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why is Mulan the next Disney animated film to get the live action treatment, you ask? Three words - China theatrical market.

Riceball and Rupert_Angier like this.
  13. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Disney doesn't have to do Mulan to get China. In fact a film spectacle set in the west is more likey to do better.
    If you want a successful film in China just make another transformers type of movie.

Western filmmakers simply can't make films set in the east that are convincing to an Eastern audience.
    Eastern productions have the same problem when they try to make Western films.

I don't think Disney is that naive to do this just for China.

14. jarvis

jarvis Sr Member

It's pure economics. Disney princess stuff frequently tops the list of best-selling entertainment products. It's a billion dollar industry.

15. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

This... really isn't news. Disney's been poking at a live-action Mulan for at least a year-and-a-half.

Maybe not as far back as Disney's animated one, but there was a live-action film. I rather like it, even if I would have preferred it to be a bit longer.

--Jonah

16. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're forgetting any subsidies the Chinese government will throw in to reduce the production and P&A budget, plus possibly better terms on distribution and release in a country that's notorious for being very difficult on those fronts. Mulan's backdrop was the Han Chinese defending their country against invading Mongolians, so for the Chinese government this is basically Disney helping you out with a nice little nationalistic feature film that'll be shown globally. Also don't forget Disneyland Shanghai opening next year. I'm not saying this is purely a China market play but it's certainly a large enough factor to push this over the greenlight fence when you're looking at Mulan vs other animated classics like Aladdin.

dascoyne and Riceball like this.
  17. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Well when you put it that way ... :thumbsup