MR Vader Helmet Update

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by MRCUSTOMERCARE, Feb 24, 2006.

1. MRCUSTOMERCARE

MRCUSTOMERCARE Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

This email will start going out to everyone who bought a Vader Helmet within the hour. I just thought I would give you all a heads up.

Subject: Vader Helmet Update: 2/24/06

Dear Master Replicas Customer:

Three weeks ago today, we informed you of the decision to place the shipment of all Darth Vader Episode III Helmet editions , including Limited, Signature and Dual Signature, on hold while we inspected the product and determined the best solution to prevent damages during shipment.

We would like to share with you our findings and our plan moving forward.

Our expectation was to have adequate inventory of quality helmets for replacements after our inspection. As part of the inspection process, we also added a number of additional quality assurance measures to ensure that you, our customer, would be satisfied with this product for many years to come and be proud to display it as the centerpiece of your collection

Unfortunately, we found two issues in performing the inspection. First, more than the expected number was damaged in the shipping process. Second, most of the helmets have the potential for future damage due to the design of the magnetic stabilizing system.

We feel that with the combination of these issues, the helmets fall below the standard of quality that Masters Replicas requires and our consumers deserve. We have made the decision to return the entire production back to the manufacturer and make the necessary improvements. Unfortunately, this will further delay the availability of the Darth Vader Helmets. We have explored various alternatives that may have allowed us to return the product to market faster, but we have chosen this more conservative course of action as it will ensure the highest level of quality and customer satisfaction.

As of today, three shipments are in transit from the US back to the manufacturer. Once the shipments arrive, we will jointly develop a timeline with our manufacturer. We will share information with you through regular “Darth Vader Update Emails”.

We are offering a replacement program that is completely voluntary. If you are not satisfied with your helmet for any reason, Master Replicas will be delighted to provide you with a replacement or a full refund. Should you choose to replace your helmet please contact us by March 10th to ensure that we have enough replacement inventory.

If you did not purchase your helmet from Master Replicas or an Authorized Retailer, we will still REPLACE your damaged helmet. We apologize that we are not able to refund your money.

If you would like a replacement for your helmet regardless of where you purchased your helmet from:

1. Please email darthvader@masterreplicas.com no later than Friday, March 10, 2006 to request a Replacement Authorization number. We will also provide you with complete instructions and a pre-paid return shipping label to return your helmet. Please note that we will require all of the original packaging with all of the original packing materials.

If you would like to return your helmet for a refund:
    1. If you purchased your helmet directly from Master Replicas please email darthvader@masterreplicas.com no later than March 10, 2006 to request a Refund Authorization number. We will provide you with complete instructions and a pre-paid return shipping label to return your helmet. Please note that we will require all of the original packaging with all of the original packing materials. Upon receipt of your helmet, we will credit your account for the total amount charged, including shipping. This will take approximately 7-10 business days after receipt of the defective helmet.
    2. If you purchased your Darth Vader Helmet from one of our Authorized Retailers, please contact them directly.

If you originally wanted a replacement and now would prefer a refund due to the anticipated delay, please contact us at darthvader@masterreplicas.com

Once again we apologize for this inconvenience. Master Replicas will do everything in our power to remedy the situation to your satisfaction. We will be updating you on the status of the resolution no later than March 23, 2006.

Thank You.

The Master Replicas Team

2. gts072

gts072 Active Member

This really sucks. Now the magnetic attachment system is messed up?.? I heard of a few isolated problems with the dome connection but now its going back to production to retify it? *. I waited so long for this helmet and yet another delay. :cry

Current DV owners: Please chime in if your magnetic dome attachment is not functioning correctly.

3. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

it almost sounds like that the magnets might be causing the helmet to bounce around in shipping???

ill take a defective one off of your hands.

i just invision a pile of these things being destroyed :cry

4. blewis17

blewis17 Sr Member

I'm sure a LOT of us here would be willing to buy a "dameged" helmet at a reduced price, if MR was willing to sell them as such.

5. MRCUSTOMERCARE

MRCUSTOMERCARE Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone.

While we would love to be able to sell the defectives we can't because then there would be more out there than the limited edition amount states.

6. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

just 1 :unsure :cry

7. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

Just call it the "Slightly Less Than Elite" Edition. :p

Just ribbin' you guys. Keep on keepin' on.

Bruce

8. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What is the news on the replacement black bags?

9. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

Amy,

Wow, what a headache for you guys (and gals) at MR. This really turned into a nightmare.

Since you didn't specify what the dome fastening problems are, I'll chime in with my experience (as asked by another board member) of what happened to mine ...

Last week we were re-arranging the prop room and I had to move the helmet, so I decided to put it back in it's box for safety sake. Went to pull the dome off and I heard something "Crunch" ...

As it turns out, it appears that the "glue" or "epoxy" that was used to hold in an "insert" that was fitted into the dome was too weak to hold it in the dome, or the magnet was too strong and decided not to let go of the "insert" :lol

I tried to epoxy it back in with 2 part 5 min epoxy. Let it dry for days. Went to fit the dome back onto the facemask, and remove it again to see if it would remain in the dome, and it did. It's been fine every since. Cheap easy fix.

Is this what you found?

I do have two questions for Master Replicas

I have already e-mailed darthvader@masterreplicas.com by the old deadline (Today) to request a return authorization, and have not received a response yet? Actually I sent two. Typically, how long does it take to get a response?

The stock of replacement helmets you spoke of ... are they helmets that have already been "corrected"(scuff, bag, dome attachement, ect...) that are currently available for shipment? Or will these replacement helmets be the first batch of the corrected helmets that will come back from the manufacturer later ?

Thanks for any info ...

FP

10. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well, that sucks....but thanks to Amy for the forthright explanation. I guess we're still a couple of months off from getting them.

Funny thing is that I went to my local Comic/cool stuff shop this week and they had 3 MR Vader lids that were being sent back. I wanted to check one of them out just to see what I would expect....sure enough, the dome was badly scuffed, not just a few superficial scratches.

Plus, the foam ring that encircles the magnet socket on the underside of the dome just fell off as I lifted the dome from the styrofoam packing. I assume this problem would cause your "crunch" FP.....f-glass against f-glass.

Gazing into my crystal ball, I'm guessing it will be summer before we get these....so much for getting this lid in time for my birthday in March.... :unsure

11. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Funny, I was just looking for a thread to ask "Are these shipping again?". Got my answer. I think I'll start thinking about getting one again in oh.... September....?

12. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

MR should just re-release the damaged ones as "battle damaged" helmets, as a seperate edition.

Besides, they seem to re-release every other product these days (Luke ANH saber, AT-AT, Han blaster, etc)

;)

13. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

and whats the deal with the Spec Ops Trooper helmets??

14. gts072

gts072 Active Member

Just saw this on the StarWarsShip.com site. Looks like the release of the MR Vader helmet is in August 2006. AUGUST GODDAMNIT... :angry

15. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

August. :confused ....Wow, I'm seriously considering throwing in the towel on this one and asking for a refund.....

16. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

I think MR "MUST" say anything on the other helmets... OPS, Shock, White one... ??? What happened to them ??? When we will get our damned helmets ???

This will take more than 1 year, since we paid it ??? (heheh, This will be even longer than ordering from JB ) :p

Would be nice to hear "dates", and less excuses...

EDIT: spelling

17. Megatron

gee lets just cry some more...

it's the real world things this large do take time to fix correctly. If you don't like it don't by it and stop all this whinning its getting old.

18. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I actually had a dream about this helmet last night. In the dream a store was selling it for $197 because the dome was demolished in shipping. They wouldn't even show anyone the dome. Funny....

Anyway, seeing this just makes me glad I canceled and now I have my JB and VM01 to enjoy. I still hope to get one down the line, because it is a beautiful helmet. It's really a bummer because I was looking forward to it for so long. By the time they're actually available, I probably won't have much of a problem spending the dough on it.

19. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

And your attitude is getting old as well Mega... If you don't like what's being said then MOVE ON. You're not required to post in this thread. Honestly, the only posts I've seen from you as of late are ones complaining about other board member's comments....

20. Megatron

Why do people have to keep posting about how "mad" they are about the wait..I have to wait others have to wait but are not crying about it. It's not helping info and it is getting OLD. The posting in the thread should be information on when, what and where on the Helmets. Some are posting as if its just a free post to grip.
    go make a "I mad about waitting" thread and let keep this thread clear for status of the helmets.

:rolleyes

21. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

It´s simple man...

This is a Vader helmet update... I only said that there must be updates on the others helmets as well, and an update is an update... we ALL want to hear exact dates.. no more excuses...

You know what Megatron, I dont know about you, but I´m my work, If I dont do what I have to do on time, I´m fired... If I do my work bad, I´m fired ..., I cannot take the moeny from my clients and tell them... ohhh, sorry, my computer got a virus, wait 5 months... ohhh, my grandmom had a baby, wait another 3 months...

The fact is simple, I paid for the helmet many months ago, and yes, I want the helmets because I like them, but I really think they should do this well done, and not like they are doing...

This is what I really think, I dont want you to agree with me, but I think I´m more than FREE to post it here ... If you dont like what I said, I´m sorry, but this is how I feel.

I really desire MR can solve all this problems, and do it fast... release really good quallity helmets, and with NO DELAYS... and even more, I really desire they keep on making more and more and more SW helmets... but believe me, not this way ... just do it well ...

22. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Well said,with you all the way

23. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

Any real news on shipping, single sig version specifically?

I saw the Aug date on starwarsshop.com, hopefully that is for NEW orders.

24. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...could very well be....I guess this is where MR can chime in and confirm....

25. fettpride

Hopefully they will chime in here again ... not that I'm really trying to bitch anymore (having already received a helmet makes it easier not too, iregardless of it being damaged) but I've haven't been able to get "BOO" in response from them about anything :lol I've sent e-mails to the listed addy for an RMA - no response ... I've sent PM's (2) - no response ... and I've been posting open questions on the forum in two seperate threads - no response. The only reason it bothers me a little is because I've seen them respond/address others before me, and after me on the forum .... seemingly ignoring me :lol Then again, I could be taking it too personally I suppose..... but it almost appears tjat they're * at me? Can't imagine why :angel

FP

26. fettpride

Hellooooooooooo?

27. yodakiller1138

yodakiller1138 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's been awhile since we heard anything about the Vader helmets. Any UPDATES.

28. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Posted on the RebelScum Forums:

"Dear Master Replicas Customer,

We would like to share with you the latest updates regarding your Darth Vader Helmets.

All of the Darth Vader Helmets have now arrived at the factory in China. Our Director of Product Development personally reviewed the helmets with our vendor in their factory in China, and it was determined that many of the helmets are going to require more work than first anticipated. Unfortunately, this will result in a delay in the shipment of the helmets. We now anticipate beginning to ship the replacement helmets in September and the outstanding orders shortly thereafter.

Please be assured that we will continue to work with our vendor to improve the schedule. We will provide you with another update next month.

We apologize for this delay and appreciate your continued patience and understanding. Master Replicas is committed to only delivering quality products to our loyal customers.

Sincerely,

The Master Replicas Team"

29. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PnatheraGem @ Feb 25 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]1193599[/snapback]</div>
    So do I win some kind of prize? :lol

Actually, that's just for the replacements. "Shortly thereafter"= Jan/Feb '07?

30. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

FYI for anyone that didn't get the lastest email (7/17/2006):

"Dear Master Replicas Customer,

We wanted to give you a brief overview of the Darth Vader Helmet Upgrade procedure that we have initiated, which will hopefully answer many of your questions about this program.

We have returned all of the helmets back to the manufacturer in Asia. This includes both the ones that we had in stock and the ones that were returned by consumers. The first step was to evaluate each helmet and determine which ones could be used to make a helmet that meets our quality standards. Only these helmets were to be used in the upgrade process.

The helmets that passed the quality standard guidelines were completely stripped of all of the lenses, internal padding, straps, etc. The helmets were then repaired, repainted and polished.

Next the helmets were reassembled with all new components. Also, some of the parts have been re-designed and re-engineered to improve the product.

Other improvements incorporated in the remaking of the helmets include:

§ The display stand has been redesigned to be more structurally stable. Each helmet will come with this new stand.

§ We have redesigned the fleece bags and most importantly, we have removed the embroidery from the bags which could scratch some the helmets. Most of you may remember, this was the initial issue.

§ A third party inspection company has been witnessing the destruction of the unusable helmet components.

We have read all of the concerns and issues communicated to us through e-mails, telephone and the forums so hopefully this update has addressed them all. Please rest assured that we have implemented a very strict quality control process that checks every detail to ensure that each helmet will meet our high-quality standards. If for any reason you are not satisfied with our product or it does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a full refund as you can with all Master ReplicasÂ’ products.

The shipping schedules have not changed since the last update. We will send you another update in August.

Once again, thank you very much for your patience through this extensive replacement program.

Sincerely,
    The Master Replicas Team"

31. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

wow....they sure went through great lengths to take care of this....can't wait to see an upgraded helmet....

32. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ Jul 17 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1282687[/snapback]</div>
    I agree... and since all of their helmet lines have been troubled, I think they are really trying to go the extra mile and make it as perfect as possible to hopefully get the whole helmet concept back on track.

Of course, as always, only time will tell.

33. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I hope all the work and waiting pays off in the end for all of you who ordered a helmet.

34. DRAGONFLY

DRAGONFLY New Member

I am a bit woried when they say "repainted". That means they have to go over the old spray job making the detail less sharp around the mouth and eyes. What do you think?

Still very excited about getting one though.

35. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(DRAGONFLY @ Jul 19 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]1283682[/snapback]</div>
    I would think that they stripped the paint before applying new coats. Though, I of course cannot know for sure, but to go through all that repair trouble only to mess up with the painting would seem silly.

36. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Jul 19 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1283697[/snapback]</div>
    I would think that they stripped the paint before applying new coats. Though, I of course cannot know for sure, but to go through all that repair trouble only to mess up with the painting would seem silly.
    [/b][/quote]
    Agreed, i think that they would be extra visual on inspecting these,very foolish if they dont,the world is watching....

37. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

So now we are in to August, has anyone heard anything?

38. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Sent an e-mail to MR today and got a reply within an hour,helmets are going to start shipping out in the next two weeks,they hope to ship them all out by the end of September,can this realy be the end of the waiting?

39. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Who knows. I tried to get a refund on a helmet. Let me tell you, it's difficult. Tried 2 weeks ago, they said it would post to my account in a week. Never happened.

Call today and guess what, they said I never cancelled the order. :rolleyes

Now I have to go through a special "corporate" procedure to get my money back, which they have been holding on to since January. I'm done with MR.

40. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(hyperdyne @ Aug 16 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]1301840[/snapback]</div>
    Have to admit this is my 2nd order for a helmet, i pre paid for one from a retailer in June of last year, but canceled this year in may,last month i reordered straight from master replicas after several failed attemps of trying to find alternative makers of an ep 3 mask, I guess by doing this i have go to the bottom of the pile for dispatches. :confused