MR TOS Enterprise Paint Master

Okay folks... all the info is, approved and ready to be delivered.

As you may know, I'm an actor in Star Trek New Voyages. As you may not know, one of our producers, and visual consultant to our FX Guru Max Rem is long time Trek illustrator Doug Drexler. Doug illustrated the Trek encyclopedia, as well as designing the NX-01 and being head FX guru on Enterprise. I've had the priviledge of getting to know Doug, and calling him friend... and so I sent him a note about all this stuff. Along the journey, I've gotten to know Mike Okuda as well, so I sent him a note about it all too. Today, I got notes back from the both of them, that in order to get the definitive answer, they went to the source... and so, I give you the responses that they forwarded to me from Gary Kerr.

First off... Red Ring...

"Yes. The ring on the Production version was *lightly* weathered with reddish-brown paint, with heavier paint in the inside corners of the ring."

I'm not sure if "corners" is the best word, either, when describing a ring, but hopefully, you get my drift.
Probably the intention was to accuentuate the ring, so the contours of the sec hull would show up better on TV. Here's a photo that shows it, and I've attached a couple more."

GaryK01.jpg

"On the 2nd Pilot version, the UPPER half of the ring was painted a solid, darker shade of gray. You can see it in several shots, including this clip from "Mirror, Mirror". Note how the contours of the lower, unhighlighted ring barely show up."

GaryK02.jpg

GaryK03.jpg

GaryK04.jpg

GaryK-TOS-Emodel%20color-corrected.jpg

About the Port light thingy on top....

"Yes, Virgina, there is a bow light. Check this:"

GaryK-BowLight.jpg

"You can also see the dim light in various scenes from the series. The facts: the bow light was an access hole for the fwd sensor lights. It was made of the same milky Plexiglas as the rectangular lights on the upper surface of the saucer, and it was NOT painted (except for a streak of weathering across half the light.

The hole is only 1" in diameter, and the bulbs were approx 1/2 to 5/8" in dameter, so how did they change burned-out bulbs? Unless they had some specialized tool, I think they fished out the entire bulb, socket, and wires, then stuffed them all back inside when they were done. BTW, Ed Miarecki says that Rogay had apparently messed with the interior of the bow light, so part of what I say is informed speculation.

The bow light WAS fairly dim. In addition, I've seen shots from the show in which the middle sensor light was dimmer than the two lights flanking it. (I'm talking about the 3 lights on the very front of the saucer) My guess is that they maybe had two bulbs inside the front of the saucer. The orientation of the bulb(s) after they had been stuffed back inside the saucer may explain why the outer sensor lights were brighter. If the bulbs were directly behind the outer two sensor lights & facing forward, the middle sensor light would have been less bright because it was getting less direct light. The bow light, situated further from the light source, would have been even dimmer, especially if the bulbs were facing toward the 3 sensor holes in front.

Sound reasonable to you?"

So that's the poop... and for our show, the irrascable Max Rem created two ships for our last episode... ostensibly two versions of the Enterprise... the pilot and productions versions... check it out..

MaxRem01.jpg

That's all the expert knowledge I could find.

Helpful?.?

Yours in Trek...
-r.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ May 30 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]1253258[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(ufptrekker1701 @ May 30 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]1253217[/snapback]
This is GREAT news. :D I always wanted both versions. :p Thank you for the hot tip ufptrekker1701... B) Guess I should read more. LOL. :$
[/b][/quote]

Watch out for the fine print though.........

(Items on the 2006 product plan are subject to change or cancellation)

<div class='quotetop'>(rhboyd @ May 30 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]1253312[/snapback]</div>
That's all the expert knowledge I could find.

Helpful?.?

Yours in Trek...
-r.
[/b]

Awesome. Thank you for all that work. And great work on NV by the way. So based on that I think the trick with the bow light is to weather it and slight illumination to be screen accurate then.
By the way that last pic of the top of the saucer is a stunner. Never seen that one before, very clear.

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ May 28 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]1252176[/snapback]</div>
Hope so as the weathering on the leading edge of the saucer sections seems to be WAY over done, looks like she went through some flames. :(
[/b]

By the looks of the 11 footer in that comparison shot, the scorching is not nearly enough.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ May 30 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]1253154[/snapback]</div>
Barry

Please pass on to the MR TOS E team that (and I'm sure I speak for many here) how much we appreciate the care taken on this product and attention to detail. Nitpicking is a Trekkie trait of course, and as modelers we can be tough critics and it's part of the fun too. But just to make it clear I want Big Thanks to go out to the TOS E crew for their efforts AND keeping us in the loop with all the photos that have been released. That is showing of great respect to the consumer of this product as far as I am concerned. I do not recall any other products being shown early on in development as this one is, and public scrutiny early on on any project in development can invite interesting comments. Looking forward to the day when we all are unpacking that big box in our living rooms with google-eyed family or friends looking on thinking were nuts. or more likely jealous :)
[/b]

Amen Brother. That E is awesome. I may even have to adjust my red "ring" objection - although in the pics preented it does look more of the copper color... But Thanks to Barry for releasing the pics and the MR crew who is mastering it and MR itself for deciding that this NEEDED to be done :D

Jedi Dade

Thanks, Ron and Phase, for the informative photos and info. I'm sure MR is learning the value of staying accurate- so to speak- since the TOS Phaser production run. The only nit I'll pick is that the frosted bridge dome looks a little too small/pointy. Otherwise, I raise my glass.

"I... never noticed all the... scorch marks before..."

"It's not usually noticable under studio– ... er, under space lighting conditions, Captain."

"Dammit Jim."

RFM_3footer.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 1 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]1254092[/snapback]</div>
"I... never noticed all the... scorch marks before..."

"It's not usually noticable under studio– ... er, under space lighting conditions, Captain."

"Dammit Jim."

RFM_3footer.jpg

[/b]

Man, MR has just GOT to use this in an ad.

What you're seeing on the model pics released so far, and the appearance of the U.S.S. Enterprise at Wonderfest this past weekend, is the First Engineering Prototype. The FEP is used to check that the CAD files are all correct.

After careful study, changes have been made to the files. Including the turbo lift height, the dome, and many more minor details. Obsession being the keyword.

We'll have more pics the further along the project gets. This is the exciting time when everyone is trying their best to nail this beast (or as near as possible). The team involved, many of whom have been mentioned in various posts, know more about this model, built over 40 years ago, than I thought possible.

Sherlock Holmes eat yer heart out.

Barry

Barry and all --

Thanks for insights, pics and info...

Barry -- my apologies if this has already been addressed -- but do you know if TWO versions of ship will be released (Pilot vs. The lighted version) or is there just going to be the lighted version?

<div class='quotetop'>(DrMcoy @ Jun 2 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]1254849[/snapback]</div>
Barry and all --

Barry -- my apologies if this has already been addressed -- but do you know if TWO versions of ship will be released (Pilot vs. The lighted version) or is there just going to be the lighted version?
[/b]

Just the lighted version. There were originally plans for a super limited edition pilot version but these were dropped.

Barry

I'm actually glad to hear that... put all the efforts into making one the best it can be...

thanks for the update.
-r.

<div class='quotetop'>(Barry @ Jun 2 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]1254854[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(DrMcoy @ Jun 2 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]1254849[/snapback]
Barry and all --

[/b]

Just the lighted version. There were originally plans for a super limited edition pilot version but these were dropped.

Barry
[/b][/quote]
What a shame. :( The pilot version is a very rare thing while the series version is all over the place. :unsure I am not sure that quality would have suffered if there had been two versions, but can agree that the pilot version would prbably not have sold as well....except for me of course. :p

Thank you for the continued updates Barry. :thumbsup :) :thumbsup

Well, what would be cool is if MR also offered slightyl smaller desk-top versions of TOS Enterprise -- something about the size of the AMT Cutaway kit -- not lighted, but static versions of Pilot ad other version(s)... for about $300 to $500 each.

One thing haunting me for a while now....

I hope that Hong Kong "burns in" the nacelle motors and LED lighting to weed out any infant mortality of these componants. I like that many LEDs are used though. If one burns out looks like enough coverage for the windows to stay lighted without much too much impact on the affected area. Motors are my main concern. LEDs are pretty reliable these days. Though my MR TOS Communmicator and Tricorder moire motors are still whirring away fine. But I expect that the TOS E motors will see more usage then those props.

<div class='quotetop'>(CaptCBoard @ Jun 3 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]1255638[/snapback]</div>
Well, shoot. The only version I wanted was the Pilot version. Guess I'll be saving some money.

Scott
[/b]
SCOTT.... :D

Guess I wasn't the only one after all. :unsure

Looking forward to hearing about WF.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back