MR TOS Enterprise Paint Master

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by DrMcoy, May 28, 2006.

1. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Took these at WONDEFEST show today -- pictures of the Master Replicas Enterprise -- the paint master. Ship is not lit, but does show off some of the details and, of course, the paint scheme which is slightly weathered.

Go to this link and click on TED'S STUFF link at top of page -- pics of MR Enterprise (the smaller one) next to a 5-foot model someone brought to the show.

http://web.mac.com/tedeckel1/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man She looks awesome.

Thanks for taking the Pics Ted... :)

3. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks, Ted..

Pretty * good job, dmerski.

Quibbles:
    I wish the grid was even more subtle, especially on the saucer underside.
    Not sure about that weathering at the rear sides of the nacelles.
    I hope the decals are die-cut flush with the edges of the artwork, and not have all that flash as they do here.
    The controversial "copper ring" looks downright RED here, and needs to be toned WAY down with an overspray of the hull color. (If it must be there at all)

4. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the pictures. I know the release will likely be quite different... Hope so as the weathering on the leading edge of the saucer sections seems to be WAY over done, looks like she went through some flames. :(

5. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice. - is it sitting next to T2Sides' buildup from the 1/2 Scale Jim Key kit?

Thanks for posting those.

Allan

6. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Well, take a close look at whatever pics you can find of the original filming model -- there was much more weathering on it than many people think -- including me until I saw some pics of the filming model.

I heard that the MR ship MAY have been based on and/or used as reference the large filming model that Greg Jein made for Trials and Tribbleations.

Also heard that the MR Enterprise will be made from ABS plastic and not resin, which is fine by me...having owned an Unobtanium at one point, I can tell you first hand how the resin leaked, split and warped over time.

ALSO heard that there will only be ONE version of the MR, and not the additional pilot version as has been stated at first. Of course, this is all speculation at this point.

I think the paint master looks fantastic and hope they can keep the price as close to $1,000 as possible.

7. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

A little worried about those decals too... but the weathering looks fantastic...

ooooo ..... ooo boy...

thanks SO much for posting these pics...

...and your family is lovely too.
    -r.

8. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I think for the most part it looks great. The decals look terrible but I doubt they would go to all the trouble to make this version accurate and then throw on decals that look like the old AMT kit decals.

9. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Fantastic Pics...Thank You.

I am in total agreement of the obvious decal problem. Let's hope they were just a last minute add for display. Maybe Barry could shed some light on this?

Thanks again for the pics.

10. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(The Watchman @ May 28 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]1252192[/snapback]</div>

I see no reason to use decals for the big stuff.
    Just paint it, they have the technology.

11. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ May 28 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]1252272[/snapback]</div>

I see no reason to use decals for the big stuff.
    Just paint it, they have the technology.
    [/b][/quote]

I agree. I have a feeling the decals will not be on the finished piece.

12. eFXBarry

eFXBarry Well-Known Member

The decals are a temporary solution for the paint master. The production pieces will be tampo printed onto the model. The model is to be made out of injection molded ABS plastic assembled onto a rigid inner frame for structural support and rigidity.

Hope that helps.

Barry

13. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

I'm very excited about this. :) nice work so far.

14. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

MR, I gotta say the ship looks great. Really Great. I know the flash and stuff washes out or makes things look more than they are but but what I can see I have 2 nitpicks.

A. the weathering, please make it less, less is more man.

B. The red ring. UGLY. That thing either needs to go away or be almost unnoticable. (I personally am still in the camp that says it was never there)

I mean how many people have complained that it is there vs people who are like HELL YEAH THAT RED RING LOOKS AWESOME.

ROCK ON and MR thanks for keeping us in the loop and listening to our suggestions.

Kuddos to the picture taker at WF too. :)

15. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Well, I know there is a debate about the "ring" but I will admit that I saw it plain as day on a rare, full-color "beauty shot" taken back in the day. It was the same copper color as the deflector dish. It was a distinct band of color and not something that looked like weathering or shading. I also saw a screen capture from one of the episodes where it was plainly visible.

So, perhaps it was added and one point and then later toned down in a repaint? Who knows, but it was on the ship. . .

16. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Camps, camps....blue , red.... black, white....

Hmmmmmmm

As a major collector of Studio, museum quality peices... I wish someone could explain to me why there are two camps regarding the red ring? MR does it's best to replicate the orginals and even listens to those of us who buy/build them to our satisfactions as long as it's cost doesn't over-shadow it's selling ability. There is only one answer. Was it there or was it not? If it was...put it on.....if not...leave it off. The only snag would be if there were two different styled originals filmed, in which case it should be billed as which it is (not cost effective at all). I am an avid Trek fan and realize that we as fans have more or less ruined the franchise aspect of things with our unsettled discussions of what is correct. What ever release MR builds,.. I will buy and display. If a better version is released... I will buy and display that one too. There will always be someone that states something is not correct. I am just happy that they are made at all. That said... I thank MR and all Masters who pursue Studio Scale Modeling to the best of their abilities. :) This 1701 looks awesome to me.

17. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Well I am definately no expert on the details of the E.

I have just studied screen caps and random pictures. If the red ring was on the E, I want to see a definate picture of it. I have never seen a picture that shows THATS THE RED RING, ITS RED, LOOK AT IT NICE AND CRISP... heh

Majority of pictures i have seen show either nothing there, or a darker area which looks like weathering.

In those pictures posted above, look at the big 66 inch E sitting beside it. I had followed the development of that model and in my opinion is one of if not the most accurate ever built. No red ring.

Here is the link to the pic im refering too:
    http://web.mac.com/tedeckel1/iWeb/Site/Ted...es/DSC02640.jpg

Secondly:
    This picture, now i know its a earlier version of the E, but it is original, screen used from the 60's NO RING.
    [​IMG]

I am more than willing to be proved wrong, but in my memory of the E, there should be no "blastin in yo face red ring" there.

More:

[​IMG]

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STE...prise/ent53.jpg

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STE...prise/ent35.jpg

18. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

ok... I'm goin' blind. I've been into these threads since the get-go... but I am totally blind... ro dumb... about where in blazes this "red ring" is?. Are we talking about the concentric rings behind the nav defelector?. I have contacts within the Trek world who can probably put the definitive stamp on this... if only I knew what to ask them...

Please help clear this up for me.

cheers,
    -r.

19. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

20. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

Ah... ok... I'm on it.

thanks,
    -r.

21. star-art

star-art Sr Member

This is the first time I have participated in the whole "red ring" discussion so I don't want to rehash all that has gone before. I have no idea what the arguments are for and against. I simply offer this:

1. Greg Jein added it based on the incomparable research done by Gary Kerr (the pre-eminent expert on this model).

2. It is clearly visible in the attached color "beauty shot" made back in the day. Now I don't recall where I got this, from whom, or under what conditions. So I am not posting the entire photo. But you can see how clear the ring is and the copper color. It's not red.

3. It is clearly visible in the attached screenshot I got from Custom Replicas when I was assisting Jim Key with his TOS E recreation project. I don't know what episode this is from. But, since it is a screenshot, there is nothing secret or proprietary about this image so I see no problem in posting it.

There you have it. Based on this, it was definitely there -- at least at one point. That does not mean it was not later painted over or altered. Using Smithsonian photos is not useful to figuring this out since the model was not necessarily in original condition even when it first arrived there. Neither is referencing photos taken during the Pilot era since the ship was altered substantially after that. From various interviews we also know it was changed during the series run to modify the weathering and perhaps some surface details as well. Thus, this copper ring may have been present at one time but not others. . .

Hope this helps. :)

22. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"for entertainment purposes only"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Now there is some copper.

[​IMG]

touche.. and your statement about it being there at some point and not there at others is very true. Who knows what changes were done to it through its life, even during the show.

Bah.. we get what we get :) I still prefer it with out though and the copper color in the little screenshot looks way better than the red color that shows in the pictures of the MR E at wonderfest.

BTW, I thought that big E paired with the MR was the custom replicas E, the big 66 incher. Doesnt show any red on it in those pix.

http://web.mac.com/tedeckel1/iWeb/Site/Ted...es/DSC02640.jpg

24. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Phase Pistol...those pics were definitely entertaining...thanks.

Mechinyun...in your pic, the ring looks copper to me,..but who am I to argue that? LOL. I will also definitely take what I can get.

Star-Art...thanks for the great input and pic reference.

I am wondering what it will be?. ;P

25. star-art

star-art Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    It is and Sean left off this detail when he painted his model.

I think this ring was always there. Did you notice that in every single screenshot that Phase Pistol just posted the ring is plainly visible? Once you know what to look for, there it is.. ;) We know that most images from the show were not exactly clear. So many details could easily be obscured.

Don't feel bad. I just recently resigned myself that not all of the "rings" on the antenna dish were raised. All of my reference photos seemed to clearly indicate they were raised, yet it turns out that at least one of them might be recessed instead. It's hard to accept something that you had made up your mind wasn't so.

;)

BTW, you can check out my TOS Enterprise recreation here:

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269

(Membership required to view images but registration is free.)

26. phase pistol

That's an exceptional CG model of the big E, Charles. :D :thumbsup

- k

27. CessnaDriver

Now, about that round bow light on the top of the saucer in front.

Clearly it is not illuminated in the series, at least not enough to show up much at all.

Some have argued it was a hull painted access port to get to the 3 lights in the front.
    This makes sense, as the lit squares on top are all near windows on the saucer. Yet I never have seen the top bow light lit as it was later at the smithsonian.

Anyone have any facts on this?

28. star-art

star-art Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Thanks.. Still not done, but getting there. . . :D

Cessna, IIRC Gary K. posted in another forum that this round "port" was a piece of frosted plex just like the lighted box windows on top. So it was probably meant to be illuminated. If not, it would have been painted over. . .

That hole was definitely there -- one way or another. I've seen it in resto pics. :)

29. CessnaDriver

<div class='quotetop'>(star-art @ May 29 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1252827[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks.. Still not done, but getting there. . . :D

Cessna, IIRC Gary K. posted in another forum that this round "port" was a piece of frosted plex just like the lighted box windows on top. So it was probably meant to be illuminated. If not, it would have been painted over. . .

That hole was definitely there -- one way or another. I've seen it in resto pics. :)
    [/b][/quote]

It doesnt seem appropriate to light it though even if frosted. It will be interesting to see what MR does there.

30. phase pistol

Via IDIC page..

[​IMG]

- k

31. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

32. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

whoopsie. Mixed up MR SS thread info. Next thing ya know I'll be calling the Enterprise the "32 incher".

33. CessnaDriver

Barry

Please pass on to the MR TOS E team that (and I'm sure I speak for many here) how much we appreciate the care taken on this product and attention to detail. Nitpicking is a Trekkie trait of course, and as modelers we can be tough critics and it's part of the fun too. But just to make it clear I want Big Thanks to go out to the TOS E crew for their efforts AND keeping us in the loop with all the photos that have been released. That is showing of great respect to the consumer of this product as far as I am concerned. I do not recall any other products being shown early on in development as this one is, and public scrutiny early on on any project in development can invite interesting comments. Looking forward to the day when we all are unpacking that big box in our living rooms with google-eyed family or friends looking on thinking were nuts. or more likely jealous :)

34. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

Yea, ditto here...I have cleared off one credit card to buy both versions..... :D

Roger

35. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ufptrekker1701 @ May 30 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1253163[/snapback]</div>
    Unlessss I missed something following these threads,Where has it been stated there are two versions???

Lynn

36. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

I think They are planning on releasing the Series version and the Pilot Version....

Roger

37. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ufptrekker1701 @ May 30 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1253185[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting....news to me. That would be nice. Is this true or conjecture at this point Barry?

38. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

39. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

Hey cool....

scroll down and there's an article about Us, New Voyages, there.

I have some info coming about the red ring and about the "port" top window thing soon...

-r.

40. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ufptrekker1701 @ May 30 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]1253217[/snapback]</div> This is GREAT news. :D I always wanted both versions. :p Thank you for the hot tip ufptrekker1701... B) Guess I should read more. LOL. :$

41. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

Okay folks... all the info is, approved and ready to be delivered.

As you may know, I'm an actor in Star Trek New Voyages. As you may not know, one of our producers, and visual consultant to our FX Guru Max Rem is long time Trek illustrator Doug Drexler. Doug illustrated the Trek encyclopedia, as well as designing the NX-01 and being head FX guru on Enterprise. I've had the priviledge of getting to know Doug, and calling him friend... and so I sent him a note about all this stuff. Along the journey, I've gotten to know Mike Okuda as well, so I sent him a note about it all too. Today, I got notes back from the both of them, that in order to get the definitive answer, they went to the source... and so, I give you the responses that they forwarded to me from Gary Kerr.

First off... Red Ring...

"Yes. The ring on the Production version was *lightly* weathered with reddish-brown paint, with heavier paint in the inside corners of the ring."

I'm not sure if "corners" is the best word, either, when describing a ring, but hopefully, you get my drift.
    Probably the intention was to accuentuate the ring, so the contours of the sec hull would show up better on TV. Here's a photo that shows it, and I've attached a couple more."

[​IMG]

"On the 2nd Pilot version, the UPPER half of the ring was painted a solid, darker shade of gray. You can see it in several shots, including this clip from "Mirror, Mirror". Note how the contours of the lower, unhighlighted ring barely show up."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About the Port light thingy on top....

"Yes, Virgina, there is a bow light. Check this:"

[​IMG]

"You can also see the dim light in various scenes from the series. The facts: the bow light was an access hole for the fwd sensor lights. It was made of the same milky Plexiglas as the rectangular lights on the upper surface of the saucer, and it was NOT painted (except for a streak of weathering across half the light.

The hole is only 1" in diameter, and the bulbs were approx 1/2 to 5/8" in dameter, so how did they change burned-out bulbs? Unless they had some specialized tool, I think they fished out the entire bulb, socket, and wires, then stuffed them all back inside when they were done. BTW, Ed Miarecki says that Rogay had apparently messed with the interior of the bow light, so part of what I say is informed speculation.

The bow light WAS fairly dim. In addition, I've seen shots from the show in which the middle sensor light was dimmer than the two lights flanking it. (I'm talking about the 3 lights on the very front of the saucer) My guess is that they maybe had two bulbs inside the front of the saucer. The orientation of the bulb(s) after they had been stuffed back inside the saucer may explain why the outer sensor lights were brighter. If the bulbs were directly behind the outer two sensor lights & facing forward, the middle sensor light would have been less bright because it was getting less direct light. The bow light, situated further from the light source, would have been even dimmer, especially if the bulbs were facing toward the 3 sensor holes in front.

Sound reasonable to you?"

So that's the *... and for our show, the irrascable Max Rem created two ships for our last episode... ostensibly two versions of the Enterprise... the pilot and productions versions... check it out..

[​IMG]

That's all the expert knowledge I could find.

Helpful?.?

Yours in Trek...
    -r.

42. CessnaDriver

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ May 30 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]1253258[/snapback]</div>
    This is GREAT news. :D I always wanted both versions. :p Thank you for the hot tip ufptrekker1701... B) Guess I should read more. LOL. :$
    [/b][/quote]

Watch out for the fine print though.........

(Items on the 2006 product plan are subject to change or cancellation)

<div class='quotetop'>(rhboyd @ May 30 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]1253312[/snapback]</div>

Awesome. Thank you for all that work. And great work on NV by the way. So based on that I think the trick with the bow light is to weather it and slight illumination to be screen accurate then.
    By the way that last pic of the top of the saucer is a stunner. Never seen that one before, very clear.

43. phase pistol

44. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

Excellent comparison, Phase.... drool-o-rific...

-r.

45. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

You guys ROCK... Thanks for all the great info.

46. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ May 28 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]1252176[/snapback]</div>
    By the looks of the 11 footer in that comparison shot, the scorching is not nearly enough.

Lynn

47. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ May 30 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]1253154[/snapback]</div>
    Amen Brother. That E is awesome. I may even have to adjust my red "ring" objection - although in the pics preented it does look more of the copper color... But Thanks to Barry for releasing the pics and the MR crew who is mastering it and MR itself for deciding that this NEEDED to be done :D

Jedi Dade

48. QuasiOdo

QuasiOdo Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ron and Phase, for the informative photos and info. I'm sure MR is learning the value of staying accurate- so to speak- since the TOS Phaser production run. The only nit I'll pick is that the frosted bridge dome looks a little too small/pointy. Otherwise, I raise my glass.

49. phase pistol

"I... never noticed all the... scorch marks before..."

"It's not usually noticable under studio– ... er, under space lighting conditions, Captain."

"Dammit Jim."

[​IMG]

50. CessnaDriver

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 1 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]1254092[/snapback]</div>

Man, MR has just GOT to use this in an ad.