MR TOS Enterprise Paint Master

DrMcoy

Sr Member
Took these at WONDEFEST show today -- pictures of the Master Replicas Enterprise -- the paint master. Ship is not lit, but does show off some of the details and, of course, the paint scheme which is slightly weathered.

Go to this link and click on TED'S STUFF link at top of page -- pics of MR Enterprise (the smaller one) next to a 5-foot model someone brought to the show.

http://web.mac.com/tedeckel1/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Thanks, Ted..

Pretty damn good job, dmerski.

Quibbles:
I wish the grid was even more subtle, especially on the saucer underside.
Not sure about that weathering at the rear sides of the nacelles.
I hope the decals are die-cut flush with the edges of the artwork, and not have all that flash as they do here.
The controversial "copper ring" looks downright RED here, and needs to be toned WAY down with an overspray of the hull color. (If it must be there at all)

Thanks for the pictures. I know the release will likely be quite different... Hope so as the weathering on the leading edge of the saucer sections seems to be WAY over done, looks like she went through some flames. :(

Well, take a close look at whatever pics you can find of the original filming model -- there was much more weathering on it than many people think -- including me until I saw some pics of the filming model.

I heard that the MR ship MAY have been based on and/or used as reference the large filming model that Greg Jein made for Trials and Tribbleations.

Also heard that the MR Enterprise will be made from ABS plastic and not resin, which is fine by me...having owned an Unobtanium at one point, I can tell you first hand how the resin leaked, split and warped over time.

ALSO heard that there will only be ONE version of the MR, and not the additional pilot version as has been stated at first. Of course, this is all speculation at this point.

I think the paint master looks fantastic and hope they can keep the price as close to $1,000 as possible.

A little worried about those decals too... but the weathering looks fantastic...

ooooo ..... ooo boy...

thanks SO much for posting these pics...

...and your family is lovely too.
-r.

I think for the most part it looks great. The decals look terrible but I doubt they would go to all the trouble to make this version accurate and then throw on decals that look like the old AMT kit decals.

Fantastic Pics...Thank You.

I am in total agreement of the obvious decal problem. Let's hope they were just a last minute add for display. Maybe Barry could shed some light on this?

Thanks again for the pics.

<div class='quotetop'>(The Watchman @ May 28 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]1252192[/snapback]</div>
I think for the most part it looks great. The decals look terrible but I doubt they would go to all the trouble to make this version accurate and then throw on decals that look like the old AMT kit decals.
[/b]

I see no reason to use decals for the big stuff.
Just paint it, they have the technology.

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ May 28 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]1252272[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(The Watchman @ May 28 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]1252192[/snapback]
[/b]

I see no reason to use decals for the big stuff.
Just paint it, they have the technology.
[/b][/quote]

I agree. I have a feeling the decals will not be on the finished piece.

The decals are a temporary solution for the paint master. The production pieces will be tampo printed onto the model. The model is to be made out of injection molded ABS plastic assembled onto a rigid inner frame for structural support and rigidity.

Hope that helps.

Barry

MR, I gotta say the ship looks great. Really Great. I know the flash and stuff washes out or makes things look more than they are but but what I can see I have 2 nitpicks.

A. the weathering, please make it less, less is more man.

B. The red ring. UGLY. That thing either needs to go away or be almost unnoticable. (I personally am still in the camp that says it was never there)

I mean how many people have complained that it is there vs people who are like HELL YEAH THAT RED RING LOOKS AWESOME.

ROCK ON and MR thanks for keeping us in the loop and listening to our suggestions.

Kuddos to the picture taker at WF too. :)

Well, I know there is a debate about the "ring" but I will admit that I saw it plain as day on a rare, full-color "beauty shot" taken back in the day. It was the same copper color as the deflector dish. It was a distinct band of color and not something that looked like weathering or shading. I also saw a screen capture from one of the episodes where it was plainly visible.

So, perhaps it was added and one point and then later toned down in a repaint? Who knows, but it was on the ship. . .

Camps, camps....blue , red.... black, white....

Hmmmmmmm

As a major collector of Studio, museum quality peices... I wish someone could explain to me why there are two camps regarding the red ring? MR does it's best to replicate the orginals and even listens to those of us who buy/build them to our satisfactions as long as it's cost doesn't over-shadow it's selling ability. There is only one answer. Was it there or was it not? If it was...put it on.....if not...leave it off. The only snag would be if there were two different styled originals filmed, in which case it should be billed as which it is (not cost effective at all). I am an avid Trek fan and realize that we as fans have more or less ruined the franchise aspect of things with our unsettled discussions of what is correct. What ever release MR builds,.. I will buy and display. If a better version is released... I will buy and display that one too. There will always be someone that states something is not correct. I am just happy that they are made at all. That said... I thank MR and all Masters who pursue Studio Scale Modeling to the best of their abilities. :) This 1701 looks awesome to me.

Well I am definately no expert on the details of the E.

I have just studied screen caps and random pictures. If the red ring was on the E, I want to see a definate picture of it. I have never seen a picture that shows THATS THE RED RING, ITS RED, LOOK AT IT NICE AND CRISP... heh

Majority of pictures i have seen show either nothing there, or a darker area which looks like weathering.

In those pictures posted above, look at the big 66 inch E sitting beside it. I had followed the development of that model and in my opinion is one of if not the most accurate ever built. No red ring.

Here is the link to the pic im refering too:
http://web.mac.com/tedeckel1/iWeb/Site/Ted...es/DSC02640.jpg

Secondly:
This picture, now i know its a earlier version of the E, but it is original, screen used from the 60's NO RING.
enterprise_delivery.jpg

I am more than willing to be proved wrong, but in my memory of the E, there should be no "blastin in yo face red ring" there.

More:

garber2.jpg

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STE...prise/ent53.jpg

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STE...prise/ent35.jpg

ok... I'm goin' blind. I've been into these threads since the get-go... but I am totally blind... ro dumb... about where in blazes this "red ring" is?. Are we talking about the concentric rings behind the nav defelector?. I have contacts within the Trek world who can probably put the definitive stamp on this... if only I knew what to ask them...

Please help clear this up for me.

cheers,
-r.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back