MR Stormtrooper helmet

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just read this elsewhere.It is a description of the upcoming Stormtrooper helmet releases from MR.

Stormtrooper helmets:

CE: Vacuum formed in 4 pieces: Face Mask, Dome and 2 ears. The geometry of the helmet will be symmetrical as it was intended to be. The lense will be a flat lense.
LE: This will be vacuum formed in 4 pieces: Face Mask, Dome and 2 ears. The material will be more premium than the the CE version. The geometry will be "wonky" exactly as seen on screen. The lense will be the bubble lense. The inside will be padded.
EE: This will be made in 4 pieces, as well However, this will made of hand laid fiberglass. The gemoetry will be symmtrical. The lense will be the bubble lense. The inside will have premium padding.

We have not finalized our product plan for 2007 yet, so future helmets are still in discussion. . .

After reading this,are there many of you out there who are going to take the plunge on one of these,or will you stick with the many custom kits that are available.I personally find the custom/fan made helmets so much better and in many cases more accurate to any others that have been offered officialy through Lucasfilm.I understand that MR will do a better job than the other offical replicas but how many of you guys will be sticking to your own and staying away from these?

I only own one Stormtrooper helmet so far,which is an FX that i built myself as practice for higher quality,more accurate ones(when i get the chance and finances.).So i think im going to stick to fan made ones.

Originally posted by _Lee_@Feb 19 2006, 05:47 PM
LE: This will be vacuum formed in 4 pieces: Face Mask, Dome and 2 ears. The material will be more premium than the the CE version. The geometry will be "wonky" exactly as seen on screen. The lense will be the bubble lense. The inside will be padded.

This sounds very promising. I don't fancy the sanitized version but would love for the first time a licensed prop maker to make a stormtrooper helmet taken from an original and keep all the 'wonky' details. Still would prefer if they made a stunt helmet with flat lenses.

There are apparently two screen used ANH helmets in the LFL archives one stunt and one hero. MR have the chance to get it right and give the purists exactly what they want. Lets hope they can deliver.

I will have to see the helmets and find out exactly what materials are being used but by the sounds of things MR are making all the right noises at the moment.

I think MR have the ability to please the purists and the people who want a more sanitized version. It would be very nice if they could get it right.

They will sell out even if they make all the known variations of the helmets so it will be more financially beneficial to MR to make as many variations as they can.

Cheers Chris.

I applaud MR is they do offer a "wonky" version. Hopefully they will take this stance with any other OT helmet they offer such as Vader.

I'll definitely get one....very interested to see the finished version. Their test sculpt looked good. I like the idea of what "Empire Inc." would build in contrast to the sloppy prop-accurate versions....

There is room for both idealized and screen accurate pieces in my collection. I'm encouraged to see that both will be avaialble. MR's products are generally priced higher than what I want to send, but I would be willing to dig a little deeper into the account for a good Stormie Bucket. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Frankly, I hate the "wonkyness", it looks like $^@% even if it is "screen accurate".
It's funny how it's diefied even though it's just a result of time and money constraints.

That being said, I will obviously keep what I have in my collection so far, but will add a few of the MR buckets too. Their production differences sound very interesting.

I would probally get the CE and the LE version, I too like the cleaned up as invisioned idea. But I also like the accurate style. And since none of the original helmets were fiberglass I will pass on the EE.

i think they're a little nuts... make the stunt wonky, and the hero idealized and symmetrical.. that would just be much cooler. If anything should be idealized its the hero.

How will they make it symmetrical? Will they simply scan one side of the helmet and then mirror it? Or will they scan both sides and then and then mirror it on top of each other and then having a computer figure out the shape from that - calculate the average between the two sides on top of each other... find the middle ground (or however you say it in English)? If you know what I mean?

Both sides of the helmet are different. It would be nice to see the symmetrical version not simply be one side mirrored to make the whole helmet. Though, this way will definitely be more time-consuming than simply just mirroring one side, which would just be so cheesy looking.

Same with the Vader helmet to remove some of the wonkyness in the face as seen in the symmetrical RotS version.

hmmm very interesting, i was wondering how they were going to handle this...

but WTF is up with the EE... pay way more for something that is no where near the real prop?

i thought the EEs were supposed to be more like the real deal not so much idealized...

and they appearently didnt specify stunt or hero... :unsure

just cause it says bubble lenses, doesnt mean its a hero...

are the mouths going to be different?

all who know about the subtle differences know that there are differences and that bubble lenses and even the teeth count arent where they stop.

i think they shouldve done 3 versions of both but i think this woulda made more sense...

the CE cleaned up 2 piece design.

the LE cleaned up but more pieces and better materials

the EE a 100% accurate in every way to the screen used originals.

and do that for the stunt and hero.

i think that woulda made more sense, i think it will be a while before we know the whole deal though.

and yes nohumorman, MR is supposedly averaging out both sides not picking one and mirroring it, that we DO know.

Originally posted by oldken@Feb 19 2006, 10:23 PM
and yes nohumorman, MR is supposedly averaging out both sides not picking one and mirroring it, that we DO know.
[snapback]1188433[/snapback]​
WOOHOO... that definitely sparks my interest in the project then, 'cause we all know how the DP DLX turned out. .)

Doing my Happy Dance. :lol

I will probably grab a CE when these come out. Gotta see what they look like first, i might go with an LE instead

dan

Originally posted by apollo@Feb 19 2006, 04:31 PM
I am interested but I am going to wait untill the Helmets start shipping before I order
[snapback]1188439[/snapback]​

probably not a bad idea. :(

i am a MR supporter but... yeah, just to be on the safe side.

This sounds very strange - but very interesting

So its going to be a cheap vac-formed symmetrical Stunt,

but a mid-priced wonky vac-formed Hero.

Then the premium priced helmet will by symmetrial fiberglass.

3 different production runs/materials. Given the recent problem you would think they'd be making things easier, not more difficult.

Are we sure this is from MR or some kind of strange wish list?

Cheers

Jez

I would think the EE should be the "wonky" one.

Only the elitist, crazy people want to pay more money for some thing "accurate".

Doesn't seem to make sense.

Could someone please explain the MR CE, LE & EE abbreviations for a non MR collector. please. I imagine that the LE is Limited Edition... but I cannot figure out the other two.

Originally posted by RKW@Feb 19 2006, 12:59 PM
MR EE's have always been idealised replicas made out of better materials thus costing more.
[snapback]1188455[/snapback]​

I didn't think of it that way, you're right. They have done it that way.

Still doesn't make sense to me.

I would think the Elites, should be the Ultimate in accuracy. Spare no expense, no compromises, no job too big, no fee to big.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back