MR Qui-Gon CE now die-cast metal

bcstanding

From the Master Replicas April Newsletter:

Meanwhile, in other Star Wars news, Master Replicas would like to officially announce that a major change has been made to the upcoming Qui-Gon Jinn Collectors Edition lightsaber. It was previously reported that the CE would feature a cast resin body; however, since that time, Master
ReplicasÂ’ product development team has re-engineered the piece, and changed the resin to a more handsome, durable die cast metal. To purchase a Qui-Gon Jinn Collectors Edition lightsaber, please visit any of Master ReplicasÂ’ Authorized Retailers.

(this was also posted at the Rebelscum forum)

I was on the fence about the Qui-Gon, but I think this will pull me in. (I still don't like it enough to go for the LE, though.)

Yeah, die-cast is heaps cooler than resin. I may get this... Besides a Luke ANH (and Mace, which is almost impossible to find), this is my favourite sabre. :)

Originally posted by KarlBud420@Apr 5 2006, 01:50 PM
So now, besides the display case and COA, how different are the CE and LE versions of this saber?

Bruce
[snapback]1220291[/snapback]​

I guess there will be nearly no difference at all...
MR should have produced these right from the start. A CE and a LE would have been fine from the beginning. Now they have a bunch of angry LE owners who just wanted a lightsaber and no limited collectible...
You can't limit a Luke Lightsaber to 2500 pcs worldwide without loosing a lot of customers over the years. These are "all-time-classics" and there will be allways a demand for these.
After all the mistakes MR made this CE-thing looks like they clutch at straws.
To quote the Emperor: "...only now, at the end, do you
understand."

Originally posted by Spiker+Apr 5 2006, 10:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spiker @ Apr 5 2006, 10:00 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KarlBud420
@Apr 5 2006, 01:50 PM
So now, besides the display case and COA, how different are the CE and LE versions of this saber?

Bruce
[snapback]1220291[/snapback]​

I guess there will be nearly no difference at all...
MR should have produced these right from the start. A CE and a LE would have been fine from the beginning. Now they have a bunch of angry LE owners who just wanted a lightsaber and no limited collectible...
You can't limit a Luke Lightsaber to 2500 pcs worldwide without loosing a lot of customers over the years. These are "all-time-classics" and there will be allways a demand for these.
After all the mistakes MR made this CE-thing looks like they clutch at straws.
To quote the Emperor: "...only now, at the end, do you
understand."
[snapback]1220299[/snapback]​
[/b]

That's what I was afraid of hearing. It would almost be a comedy of errors if it weren't so aggravating.

Bruce

As long as they have the limited editions out numbered in advance and the imprinting on the saber, I don't think it will be such an issue. With the extra packaging and certification, that will be enough to the limited editions.

Serious collectors won't want a collectors piece already without the packaging and certificates. You can't sell an MR replica as a collectors piece now on ebay without it.

I'm still not that interested in these. They still seem overpriced for what you get. Especially with the prices dropping on the LE's with many selling them off. A few retain more value but getting a CE with no case isn't much of a bargain, in my opinion.

I still think the CEs are a great idea and now the die-cast feature even makes them worth the 150-200 dollars they will cost. Come on guys, die-cast versions are NOT as nice as machined ones. Take the FXs and LEs for example. Sure the FXs look good, but compare things like the chrome finish on an FX to the chrome on an LE and you will see a difference in lustre. I would think that the subtle differences that crave an expert's eye would be attractive for discerning collectors. It will be what distinguishes them from the "average joe collector". Also, the MR displays are almost worth 100 dollars by themselves.

I do however concur that it may have a negative effect for those who collect mainly for the monetary value. The price will always go down when more options become available. But it's like that with most products.... just look at how much you loose on cars. (not counting the wear and tear)

Originally posted by Jack Knight1979@Apr 5 2006, 03:29 PM
Looks like MR is catching on.    MR's still won't beat my LL-Q hilt.  I miss the good old days.
[snapback]1220345[/snapback]​

This is all very cool, but where do you buy one of these .?

KK2

Originally posted by Jack Knight1979@Apr 5 2006, 05:29 AM
Looks like MR is catching on.    MR's still won't beat my LL-Q hilt.  I miss the good old days.

ll-q hilt???

CE's are a good idea, but i still think they'll be too expensive. we should be looking at maybe three times the .45 price to make more people want and be able to own them.

Originally posted by jamiemp+Apr 6 2006, 02:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamiemp @ Apr 6 2006, 02:55 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jack Knight1979
@Apr 5 2006, 05:29 AM
Looks like MR is catching on.    MR's still won't beat my LL-Q hilt.   I miss the good old days.

ll-q hilt???
[snapback]1220865[/snapback]​
[/b]

Larry Larbel Q (Qui-Gon). He also did an O (Obi-Wan) and others.

Bruce

Great for what they were at the time, but now I wouldn't bother. There are much more accurate versions available now (both licensed and not).

I love my Larbel Obi Wan, it was my first prop and will always have a special place in my heart.
However, MR's build quality on their sabers and accuracy has far surpassed (at times) what was achieved with the L-O.
That's not a knock against Larbel by any means. He had amazing service and a top notch product.
2 days delivery? Awesome.

Larry definitely had amazing customer service and superior products at the time. Wasn't trying to knock him, just saying that now there are better products.

At one point I got an Obi directly from him for $174 I believe. Still can't beat that.

[image]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Imperious825/MRobiTPMEEHKSSO.jpg[/image]
I almost had trouble distinguishing these two sabers when I first saw this picture. I simply didn't expect for the HK SS O to be that accurate, but it turned out that this saber was from an exclusive SS edition that was one of PB's last projects; therefore being the most accurate, and it seems not only just at that time...

Like I said, great for the information we had before. Amazing considering it was all done off of pictures, but there are still many differences between the two. It's like comparing an FX helmet to a TE.
shape of the pommel
shape of the cubes
length of the cubes
length of metal area that contains the covertec
grip area (black vs. space)
the angle of the cut near the emitter
the emitter surface
and overall size of the saber is different

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back