MR CloneTrooper Helmet ARRIVES !! PICS !!!

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Dec 27 2005, 12:06 AM
How does any fan made helmet look screen accurate??

If you think the fan made is more accurate then you need to look again at pics of the actual CG models. The fan mades are very nice, but no where near as accurate as the MR.
I really hope that MR will do an AotC version.
[snapback]1144212[/snapback]​

Chris,

You express an intuitive conclusion based on the MR claims that the models were used. However... Even if proportions are correct, if you take any screen shot any fan made can be as close or in many cases more accurate. Look at any shot with Gree (ignoring colors), it is clear the MR bucket is too stubby. A lot can play into angles, final composition of the CGI (maybe they stretched commanders, the Utupua Airborne Clone Trooper, aka Beehive Trooper, definitely is stubby).

I love MR stuff, I would but an AOTC Clone bucket from MR to add to the collection in a heartbeat. I'll get all the EpIII buckets from them as well. That all said, and knowing the MR penchant for getting critical details (at least for the hardcore wonk) wrong, it is EASY for me to know that a Fan made can and is more accurate - the pics don't lie :)

Tim

It's a sad day when we are comparing props to CG files. :(

Just out of curiosity, I've seen the fan made helmet compared to the MR, but has anyone thrown in a comparison pic of the "real"-- and I use that word lightly-- Clone Troopers against the other repros?

Btw- WhiteCommando, I see that you are now extoling the virtue of "fan-made" replicas, which I find odd considering you were banned from TDH for threatening to report the forum to LFL for copyright infrigement.

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker@Dec 27 2005, 09:29 AM
It's a sad day when we are comparing props to CG files.  :(

Just out of curiosity, I've seen the fan made helmet compared to the MR, but has anyone thrown in a comparison pic of the "real"-- and I use that word lightly-- Clone Troopers against the other repros?
[snapback]1144321[/snapback]​

That's because they don't exist, although I find it hard to believe a mock up wasn't created to actually build the CGI model. If not, that is why they probably don't fit. Maybe they just did a morph of EpII to EpIV with some tweaks. Regardless, it's wireframed CG (maybe) vs screenshot based reproduction, understanding there may have been "adjustments" made in the composition of the scenes.

Originally posted by rudolpht@Dec 26 2005, 12:49 PM
Finally pics:
normal_MRSCbox.jpg
normal_MRSCdocs.jpg
normal_MRSCbox2.jpg
normal_MRSCbox3.jpg
normal_MRSCbox4.jpg
normal_MRSCstand.jpg

[snapback]1143906[/snapback]​

Ahh, now I see what the delay was...

They had to completely engineer the packaging from the ground up. And that stand... Whew.

Now that they've got the bugs worked out, hopefully the Special Ops helmets are not far behind (even if my huge mellon will never fit inside :( )

Charlie

rudolpht,

Do you have a movie-sized Stormtrooper helmet you could compare to the MR?

I know you believe the helmet is too small, but people have problems putting their heads into the real stormtrooper helmets. I'd like to see a comparison of those two.

Great Pics....

Cant wait to get mine.
Although it is not what I was expecting, I am sure that It will look great in my collection.

The helmet looks nice, not 400- nice , but nice.

MR messed up from the get go, dont post a weathered helmet and state 'the one you will be recieving is a pristine version'.

Where can i get a cheap fan version?

I was not banned from TDH for the reason you state, I was banned for defending a newbie prop maker from being flamed in open forum by another "Old-Timer" prop-maker for claiming the newbie was recasting his recasts, which, in turn, had allegedly been copied from "borrowed" archive props and copyrighted items.

And if anything, I find your remark inflammatory.

Anyway, to keep it respectful here, I am just debating the point that MR has provided a tardy, incorrectly painted, over-priced and unwearable helmet.

And come on, it is not that sad of a day when we compare props to CG files...this is supposed to be fun, and not so serious that it becomes overthought, and tangential (hence your reference about me on TDH). AND lastly, I knew I would be banned on TDH...I invited it since I did not believe in TDH any more, and it became something that was no longer good and fun...but tright and elite.

Kind Regards,

John

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker@Dec 27 2005, 02:29 PM
It's a sad day when we are comparing props to CG files.  :(

Btw- WhiteCommando, I see that you are now extoling the virtue of "fan-made" replicas, which I find odd considering you were banned from TDH for threatening to report the forum to LFL for copyright infrigement.
[snapback]1144321[/snapback]​

I have yet to see a fan-based clone helmet more accurate than the MR.

If MR's is 'Tardy', then that would make yours even more so.

Umm, tardy? Mine? Tim and I both had ours before Halloween. I don't make them, just wear them. But if I were to guess, you can't wear yours yet...since it is/was truly tardy. These MR buckets were supposed to be in customers hands at the end of this past Summer. Am I correct?

Is it getting warm in here?

Originally posted by Gytheran@Dec 27 2005, 07:54 PM
I have yet to see a fan-based clone helmet more accurate than the MR.

If MR's is 'Tardy', then that would make yours even more so.
[snapback]1144529[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Gytheran@Dec 27 2005, 11:09 AM
rudolpht,

I know you believe the helmet is too small, but people have problems putting their heads into the real stormtrooper helmets. I'd like to see a comparison of those two.
[snapback]1144386[/snapback]​

Happy too. I meant to put one up when Benkenove asked yesterday, but just got around to it.

Here's a "screen-accurate" fan made EpIII, an MR, and a TK bucket. The TK is a replacement for my $600 TK, but it's an expertly crafted reveal helmet inside. Unfortunately I don't know the lineage of the outside, but it matches my older $600 version.

normal_bucketcomparo003_edited.jpg

I hope this is illuminating, and I'll too stupid to do any trick photography but it should make the size point immediately obvious. I'm still happy to have acquired the MR, even if there will be a Collector's edition someday :)

Tim

Originally posted by WhiteCommando@Dec 27 2005, 02:10 PM
Umm, tardy? Mine? Tim and I both had ours before Halloween. I don't make them, just wear them. But if I were to guess, you can't wear yours yet...since it is/was truly tardy. These MR buckets were supposed to be in customers hands at the end of this past Summer. Am I correct?

Oh, you're playing THAT card. :rolleyes

You're a little la... er TARDY to that bandwagon... by nearly 4 years.

Originally posted by rudolpht+Dec 27 2005, 02:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudolpht @ Dec 27 2005, 02:13 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gytheran
@Dec 27 2005, 11:09 AM
rudolpht,

[snapback]1144386[/snapback]​

Happy too. I meant to put one up when Benkenove asked yesterday, but just got around to it.

Here's a "screen-accurate" JM EpIII, an MR, and a TK bucket. The TK is a replacement for my $600 TK, but it's an expertly crafted reveal helmet inside. Unfortunately I don't know the lineage of the outside, but it matches my older $600 version.

normal_bucketcomparo003_edited.jpg

I hope this is illuminating, and I'll too stupid to do any trick photography but it should make the size point immediately obvious. I'm still happy to have acquired the MR, even if there will be a Collector's edition someday :)

Tim
[snapback]1144544[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thanks for the pics.

There's only one problem, though... that's an F/X helmet... aka "Bobblehead Trooper"

The F/X helmet is actually much larger than the screen accurate Stormtrooper lid.

So, if your Ep III fan helmet is (much)larger than the F/X, it would be a good indicator that the Ep III fan helmet is over-sized. :unsure

What card? What bandwagon? Are you speaking of the "I hunch over my keyboard on my computer to make thousands of posts about the minutiae of movie props" bandwagon?

Originally posted by Gytheran+Dec 27 2005, 08:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gytheran @ Dec 27 2005, 08:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-WhiteCommando
@Dec 27 2005, 02:10 PM

Oh, you're playing THAT card. :rolleyes

You're a little la... er TARDY to that bandwagon... by nearly 4 years.
[snapback]1144547[/snapback]​
[/b]

The helmet does look very nice, and I am actually ok with MR's 'first built by the Empire' pristine interpretation of the helmet, as the product description and various images circulating the web had already prepared me for this clean look.

What I am finding really difficult to excuse MR for though is letting an incorrect movie ‘inaccurate’ pattern through the door which resembles none of the clones that appeared in the film. What we have now is more of a Star Corps / Utapau hybrid.

This really should have been picked up before any product got into collectors hands.

Would very much like to hear MR comment on this clone variation anomaly.

As you can probably see the EpIII is narower than the TK, and the lower sculpt was based on a screen accurate TK.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Somebody can send me a different TK bucket if they want more pics or someone can super impose one. I guess you need to see the MR in person to KNOW it is too small. (But when you put pixel based helmets on pixel based clones, physics aren't that important (and pixels are pretty skinny :)). But then the argument couldn't continue....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back