MR Announcement- Ghostbusters Props

I can see a 1:1 trap and PKE (here's hoping), but a full scale proton pack would be a surprise.

I mean, they have the license, they'd better do SOMETHING cool.

I kind of wish the whole "licensed prop" companies thing would just go away. The quality is never up to the level that the people who really make up this hobby would accept as the 100% accurate replica that these pieces are always touted as.

With one or two exceptions, no licensed piece has ever come close to the level of quality and detail that fans are/were able to offer through active projects and kits. The best props in my collection are all fan-based. They're the heart and soul of the hobby, and they care more than these big companies do in many instances. Most pieces wind up looking and feeling like toys rather than collectible props.

As far as scaled replicas go, I don't get the point. If it ain't 1:1, then it isn't a prop, it's a toy.

As others have said, MR, the real MR died a long, long time ago. Though I never cared for many of their pieces, they at least cared and had passionate people working to do the best they could.

If they do make a 1.1 pack they will ruin the market. My only hope is that if they do, they will sell so badly that we will see them on ebay in a year or so selling at a little above production costs. THen i could buy a complete pack for $300 or $400 bucks. :D

Last edited:
I am just happy that MR was its peak when the AT-AT v1 was released. Looking back, I am super happy that it was the first release in the studio scale line. There was so much promise and they did knock those out of the park in retrospect. AT-AT, Snowspeeder, and Falcon. AT-AT and Falcon in particular are astounding.

Y-Wing model is good, but overall display lacks punch to me.

But yeah, that's when MR was golden. It is truly dead.

I can see a 1:1 trap and PKE (here's hoping), but a full scale proton pack would be a surprise.

Can we get a MR rep in here to confirm or deny plans for a 1:1 proton pack?.

P.S. NickyTea I love your avatar. I'm a huge Invaders fan.

Tom

They better do something cool... i mean, the very LEAST they should have a 1:1 PKE meter and ghost trap with lights and sounds... how awesome would it be if the trap opened and lights shined out of it with the correct sounds? (my younger sis made that suggestion, and she's not even that huge a fan.) I dont care how much it would cost... i'd find a way to buy it.

I kind of wish the whole "licensed prop" companies thing would just go away. The quality is never up to the level that the people who really make up this hobby would accept as the 100% accurate replica that these pieces are always touted as.

While true sometimes, there are plenty of exceptions. JLong is making fantastic props cast(ed) directly off the real things. There's that company offering the B-9 robot that looks pretty stellar.

MR has made some great stuff in the past. They just don't please the 10 or 20 ultra-anal collectors who frequent this forum.

And besides, I've seen plenty of drop-dead AWFUL offerings by fans. Turds in resin painted by blind monkeys. And for some reason, these turds get all the kudos in the world by fellow RPF members. I think it's LARGELY relative.

Besides, let's be totally honest. The licensed replicas didn't really significantly damage the fan based builds. I don't think a day has gone by that a non-licensed prop hasn't changed hands on this forum despite the fact that a license holder is offering the same item. Minimal impact, if you ask me.

You think fans are going to stop producing their own proton packs even if MR offers up a dead to the nuts one? no way. There's always a huge cadre of fans who either don't want to pay the money for a complete unit, take pleasure/pride in building their own, or are just that breed of collector who prefers the "endless quest" of collecting the parts, building it up, and socializing with their online friends about it along the way. That ain't going anywhere :)

....The quality is never up to the level that the people who really make up this hobby would accept as the 100% accurate replica that these pieces are always touted as.

I agree that there are ups and downs, but in all honesty, MR have produced a few items that no fan has ever really come close to, quality-wise. Pieces such as the Windu, Sidious and Dooku sabers and the Han Solo Elite blaster were beautifully done.

As for the Ghostbusters. I hope that a PKE with lights and sounds is #1 on the list. It's one of those things that not many fans have been able to pull off accurately, but that a factory producing a few hundred with proper tooling should be able to accomplish without breaking the bank. If you can produce a remote control car the size of two quarters for ten bucks, you can make an accurate PKE with all the bells and whistles for an affordable amount.

The goggles should be super-easy to reproduce accurately for peanuts.

A ghost trap would be cool as well, but to anyone but a hard-core fan it really just looks like a box with yellow warning tape on it.

As for a 1:1 Proton Pack... I imagine it CAN be done for under $1000. Maybe not 100% screen-accurate, but again... mass producing what would probably be a big plastic shell isn't that difficult if you've got an assembly line with proper tooling, machines and parts that were engineered to fit together without a lot of modding.

A PKE is unlikely in my opinion. It was a rented prop so Sony can't license it as far as I know. Also, MR has not made anything with motorized parts, lights, and sound that I know of and I sincerely doubt they'd start with a PKE which would have pretty limited sales potential compared to Star Wars and Trek stuff. There have been accurate PKEs made by plenty of people and with new electronics coming out as well as more accurate resin kits I doubt MR would be able to make something and sell it for less than the fans would.

Also, a few weeks ago MR hadn't secured a license for anything and they seemed to be feeling around for ideas on what to make. I suspect they still don't have a license and are still feeling things out. The whole Fozzie thing shows that they'll announce things and even start pre-selling things that they have no license for just to see if there's a market.

As has been said, fans will do it better and cheaper than MR for full scale props. Fan made packs with full light and sound sell for $2000-3000, MR would be in the same range I'd bet, and likely with less attention to detail. I am betting scaled items, figures, or something of that nature.

[snip]Also, MR has not made anything with motorized parts, lights, and sound that I know of...[/snip]
The Star Trek Communicator had all of them, the Enterprise had motorized parts and lights, and there have been many with lights and/or sound.

Also, a few weeks ago MR hadn't secured a license for anything and they seemed to be feeling around for ideas on what to make. I suspect they still don't have a license and are still feeling things out. The whole Fozzie thing shows that they'll announce things and even start pre-selling things that they have no license for just to see if there's a market.
In fairness, MR did and does still have a Muppets/Disney license - I've held the Fozzie prototype, so I know that exists, but the problem they ran into was money, manufacturing, and money again...

Earl Kress made an interesting comment over at Muppet Central about the Fozzie situation:
Let me tell you a story about ME. Remember, this story is about ME and does not refer to anybody else.

Let's say I have a company that makes widgets for the many fans and collectors of widgets there are. I order 2500 widgets from a factory in China. Now, mind you, widgets are very detailed and complicated to make. But the factory does a good job and delivers all 2500 widgets to me. But then, I don't pay the factory for the widgets I've already received. Now I want to make a new batch of somewhat different widgets, say 1,000. Do you think the factory in China would be willing to make them for me when I haven't paid them for the ones I've already got in my possession? And don't you think the word would get around to other factories in China that I don't pay my bills? I think it would be very hard for me to get the next item manufactured, don't you?

Remember, this is a hypothetical story about ME and is not meant to represent any other person or entity.

I would actually like a scaled Proton Pack. Lights or not. I think it would look cool on a shelf next to my scaled Ecto-1. But it would be even better if it had a removable gun.

Just my opinion.

Hey its been said once and I'll say it again. If we get a nice PKE out of this it'll be worth it. I don't care what scaled dioramas and other trinkets they make if they do the PKE. What if it was done as nice as their TOS phaser? Wasn't that nearly all metal? I have two requirements, two huge requirements: well-made and durable materials.

I'm a sucker for the PKE. The only thing I don't like about the PKE is that it appears on screen in things besides Ghostbusters. But hey, it gets to reprise its roll again in the sequel as well. Beat that 80s adventure television.

The Star Trek Communicator had all of them, the Enterprise had motorized parts and lights, and there have been many with lights and/or sound.
I am not familiar with the Trek Communicator or Enterprise, but I am guessing the motorized parts were perhaps something spinning/rotating? Not servo controlled arms. Regardless, my statements stand in regards to accuracy and price, fans will do it cheaper and better, especially with the items that will be coming out soon.

In fairness, MR did and does still have a Muppets/Disney license - I've held the Fozzie prototype, so I know that exists, but the problem they ran into was money, manufacturing, and money again...
That's kind of my point. People are using the fact that they have said they will make an announcement and "plan" to offer something as them actually going to. If they have yet to secure a license then GB items might be another in a long line of things they tell people they'll produce and then slip into the Bermuda Triangle of prop replicas.

Last edited:
I agree that there are ups and downs, but in all honesty, MR have produced a few items that no fan has ever really come close to, quality-wise. Pieces such as the Windu, Sidious and Dooku sabers and the Han Solo Elite blaster were beautifully done.

I guess that's true. I keep forgetting people actually collect the prequel stuff and that those pieces are harder to reproduce because they weren't necessarily made from found parts.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back