MPP flash: What's the going rate these days?

Tonnikan Jinn

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_3917.JPG
I have collected lots and lots of vintage parts over the years, and I really wish there was a repository of sale prices for the harder to find vintage prop items. I also collect vintage tiki mugs, and the forum I participate in there has a running list of reported selling prices, and gives you an average value. Any chance of creating such a thing here?

With that in mind, does anyone have a handle on the going value / rates for a vintage Micro Precision Products Flash?
I have two... one is complete, and the other (which I'm considering selling) has a non accurate clamp, is missing the MPP badge, and has an accurate replica button. They are the same size, it's just the angle of the camera that makes it look weird.

Thanks for your input!
-T.J.

Last edited:
Just so I don't get in any hot water, I'm not looking to sell these. If and when I do, I'll post in the Junkyard.
I just don't know what the value is these days so what are some numbers?

The no step shroud, number of rings on the end cap, and the large B port hole are what makes all the difference in value with the MPP unit. The latter two will add some value but the killer is the shroud; if you've one of those, which obviously you don't, then I expect you could be talking thousands. Possibly. Otherwise it's hundreds but higher hundreds I would think. The missing clamp doesn't help.

Are these old military units? They will have a number stamped in if they are. I think it's 1469, from memory, with a sort of arrow symbol.

Thanks for the reply and info!
Any more info and numbers are appreciated.

The no step shroud, number of rings on the end cap, and the large B port hole are what makes all the difference in value with the MPP unit. The latter two will add some value but the killer is the shroud; if you've one of those, which obviously you don't, then I expect you could be talking thousands. Possibly. Otherwise it's hundreds but higher hundreds I would think. The missing clamp doesn't help.

Are these old military units? They will have a number stamped in if they are. I think it's 1469, from memory, with a sort of arrow symbol.

More detailed shots of what you have would be helpful. Those features are key, as well as overall condition.

To make my Vader saber I ended up using parts from three different units to get it right. I've been offered thousands for it.

I don't think you'll see any MPP (sold by someone who knows what it is.) go for less than a grand no matter what model. I would say double that if its the 100% correct one.

I sold this perfect boy for 2500€
All is ok on it, not only the flashgun itself, but also the other parts, the shroud is a replica indeed, steel, like original prop, grips are wannawanga, other parts are vintage stuff.
It was sold with original reflector wearing Dave Prowse signature.
I always told me if I sell this baby I won't collect lightsabers anymore, except self made stuff, my half handmade obiwan episode 4 of course, a wooden one, a protosaber and a kylo lightsaber I have to finish so I will print it.
IMG150.pnG

I have a couple. The most recent one I picked up has a two-step shroud, small B-hole, and incorrect sleeve underneath the clamp. Everything else looks to be screen accurate. The incorrect B-hole notwithstanding, none of those little details mattered to me since I bought it with the intention of using it to complete my Boba Fett EE-3 prop made from all vintage parts. I ended up paying north of $1K for this particular MPP, which seems reasonable due to how rare really any variant is these days.

My original vintage MPP, since converted to a ESB Vader, I'd imagine might go for quite a bit more since it sports a single-step shroud, large B-hole and correct pommel, clamp sleeve, trapezoid clamp bars, and bulb socket components.

45528992535_e78229c709_k.jpg

31502164057_5aac3c5fec_k.jpg

31502165107_3b01baf5cb_k.jpg

46441634701_282c1f9dea_k.jpg

Beautiful pieces, and fantastic collection. I've considered doing that with my Webley as well.

Thanks for the info! I love the things I've collected, but they were all tracked down and purchased at least 15 years ago (with a few exceptions) and have been in storage ever since. It's nice to learn the value of things as I'm planning a liquidation.

Happy holidays!

BTW and on a slightly different note... I joined the RPF back in 1999, yet I'm a "new member." What's up with that? ;)

I have a couple. The most recent one I picked up has a two-step shroud, small B-hole, and incorrect sleeve underneath the clamp. Everything else looks to be screen accurate. The incorrect B-hole notwithstanding, none of those little details mattered to me since I bought it with the intention of using it to complete my Boba Fett EE-3 prop made from all vintage parts. I ended up paying north of $1K for this particular MPP, which seems reasonable due to how rare really any variant is these days.

My original vintage MPP, since converted to a ESB Vader, I'd imagine might go for quite a bit more since it sports a single-step shroud, large B-hole and correct pommel, clamp sleeve, trapezoid clamp bars, and bulb socket components.

View attachment 967994

View attachment 967995

View attachment 967996

View attachment 967997

Beautiful pieces, and fantastic collection. I've considered doing that with my Webley as well.

Thanks for the info! I love the things I've collected, but they were all tracked down and purchased at least 15 years ago (with a few exceptions) and have been in storage ever since. It's nice to learn the value of things as I'm planning a liquidation.

Happy holidays!

BTW and on a slightly different note... I joined the RPF back in 1999, yet I'm a "new member." What's up with that? ;)

join data no longer matters.... 'trophies' do..

ie: post count and other involvement in the forums..

Good to know, but kinda lame. I've been in this hobby even before others had an allowance for taking out the trash.
Sounds like a good way to alter the signal to noise ratio.
Waddya know, I just did that.

P.S. I'll get over it.

join data no longer matters.... 'trophies' do..

ie: post count and other involvement in the forums..

I believe it was more of an attempt to notice/show the more involved members.. and discourage the idea of:

"this guy joined in 1975? hes gotta know what hes talking about!" (even though the post count was like 3 or something)

also a way to encourage more interaction/involvement (sharing) with the community.

* many people think the way you do as well about this....

I missed an MPP within the last month. It closed at about $1800 USD. It had a single-step shroud (preferable), but had the very end of the shroud lopped off (from the factory I presume. Even so, not-as-desireable as having it not lopped off, but still probably more desireable than a not-lopped 2-step). The clamp sleeve was incorrect for any iteration of Vader, and I didn’t even bother checking the B hole size. *It came with its original box, only the second one I’ve seen in the last 7 years, obviously adding a good deal of value as well.

As intwenothor and NickCline mentioned, the key areas desired and adding value are the Shroud, the B hole, the Side Bars on the clamp, the Clamp Sleeve, the color of Release Button, and the end cap Rings (or no rings), and probably in that order of importance.

I’ve found the overall condition of the flash to mean very little.*

EDIT: *I mean within a certain window of good condition. A nearly destroyed model with the chrome flaking off could be worth very little whereas a pristine model could fetch...?
I have only found them within a certain window of “good” condition, (say on a 1-10 scale with 1 being “flaked chrome and massive dents” and 10 being “100% flawless”) all have been between 4 and 8.

Last edited:
I had one about two years ago... Was converted and had some damage but could be repaired. Sold it for £500.

I kick myself every day.

I bought two last year for $750 each. These were sourced flashes, not eBay fighting amongst ourselves prices.

That's fantastic information. Thank you.
-T.J.

I missed an MPP within the last month. It closed at about $1800 USD. It had a single-step shroud (preferable), but had the very end of the shroud lopped off (from the factory I presume. Even so, not-as-desireable as having it not lopped off, but still probably more desireable than a not-lopped 2-step). The clamp sleeve was incorrect for any iteration of Vader, and I didn’t even bother checking the B hole size. It came with its original box, only the second one I’ve seen in the last 7 years.

As intwenothor and NickCline mentioned, the key areas desired and adding value are the Shroud, the B hole, the Side Bars on the clamp, the Clamp Sleeve, the color of Release Button, and the end cap Rings (or no rings), and probably in that order of importance.

I’ve found the overall condition of the flash to mean very little.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back