Movies you want to see made (or made right) before you die.

I'll take all the films above and have them done by people who care about film and storytelling and don't make movies using target audiences, marketing research and a box full of numbered cliche's they just stick together.

Films done by people who respect the original material and don't feel that some of the most popular literary or comic book characters need to be "updated". Or people who feel that it wounds their ego if they are stuck adapting some kind of work and start to make unnecessary changes so they can pretend they came up with a betterified version, which it should have been all along.

None of the Hollywood arrogance "yes, it's only the most popular book ever, but we need to throw out 1/3rd of the plot, completely change 1/3rd and make a mess out of the remaining 1/3rd. Why ? Because we are Hollywood, because we can and we are all artistic geniuses that die inside whenever somebody forces us to film somebody else's property, we hate the soup until we pissed in it."

Wonder Woman, John Carter, Conan, Superman, Batman ... all done right or nuts ...

Aren't we now past the point in time when the original Robocop was supposed to have taken place?

Depends on what source material you look at. There are two schools of thought on this:

1) The novilization of the movie has a news story saying that Sylvester Stallone had died after a failed heart transplant at age 97 (but that his latest movie Rambo: The Old Blood would be released soon). Given Stallone's birth year of 1946, this means that the movie takes place in 2043 or 2044.

2) The series Robocop: Prime Directives shows Murphy's gravestone with a death year of 1992, making the movie set in 1992-1993.

Personally, I favor the 2043/2044 date, as it sounds more plausible tech-wise.

Interesting factoid (and a source of pride for Texans such as myself): Most of the urban Detroit scenes in Robocop were filmed in Dallas due to the futuristic look of the city.

Hello:

for the fantasy section: Lord Valentine´s castle from Robert Silverberg
for the SF-section: a Star Trek Mini Series about the dominion war or a good movie version of METRO 2033
comic section: a movie about Joker and harley quinn
Thats what i want

Lastfirefighter

I'll take all the films above and have them done by people who care about film and storytelling and don't make movies using target audiences, marketing research and a box full of numbered cliche's they just stick together.

Films done by people who respect the original material and don't feel that some of the most popular literary or comic book characters need to be "updated". Or people who feel that it wounds their ego if they are stuck adapting some kind of work and start to make unnecessary changes so they can pretend they came up with a betterified version, which it should have been all along.

None of the Hollywood arrogance "yes, it's only the most popular book ever, but we need to throw out 1/3rd of the plot, completely change 1/3rd and make a mess out of the remaining 1/3rd. Why ? Because we are Hollywood, because we can and we are all artistic geniuses that die inside whenever somebody forces us to film somebody else's property, we hate the soup until we pissed in it."

Wonder Woman, John Carter, Conan, Superman, Batman ... all done right or nuts ...

Oh what I wouldn't give for a properly made John Carter movie... My feelings on the matter were summed up quite nicely in an online discussion I had detailing a possible Disney Board meeting...

Disney CEO: "Hey, let's take one of the greatest scifi series and turn it into a movie!"

Disney Board Members: "YES!"

*they read the novels*

CEO: "Wait... the Tharks are too alien looking. Let's make them more humanlike so as not to scare children or really anything at all."

Board Member 1: "Also, we'll take the most insignificant characters and make them the overall bad guys."

BM2: "Let's take the Zodanga/Helium war and make it the central story. Forget the story of John Carter's trip across Mars and how his actions shaped the world. Oh, and Zodanga has to be a living, moving city, ignoring the fact that the city itself would crumble from the stress of constantly moving."

BM3: "Woola the Martian dog has to be more kid friendly. Make his teeth barely capable of puncturing paper and give him a dopey look."

BM4: "So as not to scare kids, let's make all the blood a bright happy blue instead of red, despite the biological factors involved. Oh, and spiderwebs. The enemy's stuff has to be spiderlike, because spiders are creepy."

BM5: "Oh, and let's take liberties with the story and lift stuff from other books in the series."

BM6: "Guys... since this movie doesn't exactly fit within the norms of what we consider a Disney movie to be, maybe we should let another company have a crack at it."

*blank stares from around the room*

BM6: "I'm just kidding..."

All: "BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!"

CEO: "Let's get this down to the script department for the Disney treatment."

Swat Kats with costumes made by Jim Hansen studios...Wait after Jim died the TMNT turtles looked horrible in 3. I suppose Legacy Studio's costumes.

Star Fox. Same thing as above.

Usagi Yojimbo. Same as above.

Castalvania movie directed by Tim Burton, or at least a Danny Elfman score. Doesn't have to be R rated, just have good action, and atmosphere like Batman 89.

MEtroid movie with a lot of nods to the Alien movies. A claustrophobic dark, feel, with a strong female lead.

Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting. They have a simple 90s grade kung fu movie feel to them that would work great on film. You just need good actors, sets, story, and costumes.

Fist of the North Star. It has a movie, but it needs to really be in a desert like the movie that inspired it the Road Warrior. The movie they made was all in studio and the atmosphere of the movie suffered from it.

Speed Racer. Same reason above for FotNS. It was all green screen and silly. Speed Racer should have an adventure feel like Indiana Johns movies have. So real off road action and adventure in real cars. I loved the 60's hi tech feel and think it should be a key factor in the movie.

Johnny Quest. After the early 2000's Real Adventures of Johnny Quest and its almost X-files show feel I think it would make a good live action movie. It could be modern take, or a 1960's style take. Doesn't seem that hard to make. I think the franchise could spawn a few adventure movies. Again a world traveling Indiana Johns feel.

These are all I.P.s that have proven to be worth a look from old fans. They are also I.P.s that could be made even better than the original source material if handled well.

I look forward to watching these movies when someone has the courage to make them.:popcorn

The Rocketeer - I know I'm stepping on sacred ground here, but damn I really want to see his adventures continue.

Grimjack - but I think this would make for a better TV series...

Matt Wagner's Grendel

The Punisher - That's faithful to the comic, but after three tries I don't think it's possible.

Robotech/Macross Saga - Who doesn't want to see this?

The Punisher - That's faithful to the comic, but after three tries I don't think it's possible.

Well, no, because it would be rated X due to extensive violence, profanity, torture, and gore. Seriously, it would make SAW and Hostel look like a Disney flick.

That said, out of the three that came out, Thomas Jane's version was the best.

Well, no, because it would be rated X due to extensive violence, profanity, torture, and gore. Seriously, it would make SAW and Hostel look like a Disney flick.
Really? Which comic were you reading? Most of the Punisher comics were approved by the Comics Code Authority and/or Marvel's own rating system.

And Marvel, being a mainstream company (now owned by Disney) is in the business of selling comic books and rarely ventures into X-Rated territory - even in print.

Lest we forget, the Punisher is still a comic book villian/hero who first appeared in the pages of Spider-Man in 1974. He wears a giant skull on his chest and white gloves and boots...

Really? Which comic were you reading? Most of the Punisher comics were approved by the Comics Code Authority and/or Marvel's own rating system.

And Marvel, being a mainstream company (now owned by Disney) is in the business of selling comic books and rarely ventures into X-Rated territory - even in print.

They were approved, yes, but only because comic book violence is stylized and/or off panel. To translate it to the big screen, you can't realistically do it that way. A good Punisher movie would be like Sin City but with full glorious color and a far greater body count. Frank Castle is a vigilante killer. He's the type of guy who lets himself get locked up in prison so he can take a vacation and kill a bunch of criminals without having to hunt them down.

The sheer amount of violence, gore, murder, and such that would have to be in a proper Punisher film is staggering. It could easily turn into the biggest cinematic bodycount on screen.

They were approved, yes, but only because comic book violence is stylized and/or off panel. To translate it to the big screen, you can't realistically do it that way. A good Punisher movie would be like Sin City but with full glorious color and a far greater body count. Frank Castle is a vigilante killer. He's the type of guy who lets himself get locked up in prison so he can take a vacation and kill a bunch of criminals without having to hunt them down.

The sheer amount of violence, gore, murder, and such that would have to be in a proper Punisher film is staggering. It could easily turn into the biggest cinematic bodycount on screen.
You want your Punisher... not something faithful. And frankly, your vision of the Punisher is doing the character right as the stories have been told for 30+ years now and there's plenty of history to show just how the character works.

Part of the magic is that it happens off panel (or stylized), you use your imagination, you mentally fill in the gaps and it adds to the mystique of the character - and let's your mid work. That's what makes the Punisher character work and seem much more than he is.

You don't neeed gore and ultra-violence to make a great movie that stays true to the character.

I'd love to see "The Running Man" done true to the Bachman (King) book, with Richards using his wits to outsmart the hunters and make public statements against the establishmant. It would perhaps be relevant in todays society of government fear mongering :lol . Ed Norton would make a good Ben Richards.

I'd definitely like to see a Batman film (aside from the '66 movie) in which he wears a costume made of "fabric" and not some mecha/armour/motocross gear.

Believe it or not, I'd also like to see an updated version of "Capricorn One." The conspiracy/hoax plot is good, however the execution of the film was not at times. I like the 70s film, however there are some cringe worthy dialogue scenes between Elliot Gould and Karen Black (why was she even "in" this movie?). The action scenes (while over the top) such as Gould's out of control car, and the flying chase are still fun to watch.

Kevin

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back