Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Paranormal Activity (s)

Was cool at first but the way that they have drug the story on and on and on really grinds my gears.

"Hate" is too strong a word, but I do not like The Goonies. Maybe if I'd been 8 instead of 18 when it came out.
Truffle is bullied, there's no sugar coating that. The kids are bullies. That's okay in a movie if they are not protagonists.

Day After (1983) - It made the viewers "cry" over the depiction of nuclear war. This made for TV POS was just your standard dumb disaster-centric melodrama that happened to use nuclear war as the backdrops. I find it hard to believe that show made anyone actually "think" since it was so brainless.

Interestingly in 1983 there was a much better movie called, Testament, which was one of the best treatments of nuclear war I've ever seen. Testament was not as hyped and didn't get as much attention. This film had more sincerity and was created with an understanding of human behavior in times of crisis.

Last edited:
every single movie directed by Ron Howard.

(with the exception of Apollo 13).

his films simply feel devoid of expository or visual nuance

"Hate" is too strong a word, but I do not like The Goonies. Maybe if I'd been 8 instead of 18 when it came out.
Truffle is bullied, there's no sugar coating that. The kids are bullies. That's okay in a movie if they are not protagonists.
Truffle = chuck?

This one is going to be unpopular, but you did say "Movies that everyone else likes" so here goes:

T2.

I've always suspected that many people like it because they were kids at the time and it was a big hype extravaganza. For me, the original movie told an amazing story and wrapped it all up nice and neat, complete with downer bittersweet ending. Dad sent back by his son to protect and knock up mom, creating never-ending loop of bummer. Great story. There's literally zero reason for more other than the quest to make more money and they included every single gimmick possible in the second one, from spunky kid to "the robots are now magic, because...CGI!" Wasn't there even a dog in it? bleah.

btw, I have accepted the fact that no one shares this opinion. Every loves that movie. So be it.

OK, get your tomatoes ready....

Fitefly/serenity. Hate everything about it. hate the show, hate that they ripped it off from Blakes' 7, hate the cornball pseudo western nonsense, hate the scientific absurdity, hate the plot holes, hate the costumes, hate the props, hate the tech design, hate the writing, hate it.

There's a reason it was cancelled mid-season, you know. HINT: it wasn't because it was too intelligent.

...Fitefly/serenity...There's a reason it was cancelled mid-season, you know. HINT: it wasn't because it was too intelligent.
Yeah, it was cancelled because FOX sabotaged it from the beginning. They aired episodes out-of-order, aired the pilot episode after they had aired 10 episodes, and consistently preempted it for one sporting event or another, which led to diminished ratings, which led to the show's cancellation. Firefly certainly had it's detractors, but it wasn't cancelled because of any of the issues you listed.

Yeah, it was cancelled because FOX sabotaged it from the beginning. They aired episodes out-of-order, aired the pilot episode after they had aired 10 episodes, and consistently preempted it for one sporting event or another, which led to diminished ratings, which led to the show's cancellation. Firefly certainly had it's detractors, but it wasn't cancelled because of any of the issues you listed.

That may be so...but lots of other shows have been 'sabotaged' the same way you describe, and they weren't cancelled in the middle of the first season. Generally , if a show is popular, it doesn't matter how many times they move it or pre-empt it: that's only an issue for a show that is struggling in the first place.

On the other hand, the idea of the 'corny western in space' has been tried already: that particular idea has been tried before, and it ALWAYS fails. It was even considered a cliche back when it was tried on the written page: it was called the 'Bat Durston syndrome', and it's considered one of the classic fatal literary cliches.

But hey, I DID mention to get those tomatoes ready: there are people who think this show is great, I just can't get why. The issues I mentioned just don't bother some people. It's not like I personally can lay a claim to great taste: there are lots of things that I like that are bad...it's just I KNOW they are bad, and I like them anyhow.

I am going completely against the norm here, but I think that Pulp Fiction is one of the biggest pieces of cinematic tripe in history. The movie does not grab my attention at all. In fact, I found it to be so boring that I had to watch it four times before I could see the whole thing because I kept falling asleep during it.

That may be so...but lots of other shows have been 'sabotaged' the same way you describe, and they weren't cancelled in the middle of the first season. Generally , if a show is popular, it doesn't matter how many times they move it or pre-empt it: that's only an issue for a show that is struggling in the first place...
True; I've seen shows in recent years that were cancelled after only three or four episodes aired. Joss Whedon has been quoted as saying (in effect) he'd had meetings with executives at FOX who clearly didn't understand the show, and that even he couldn't understand why FOX wanted it in the first place because it didn't fit in with their "jiggles and giggles" programming at the time (i.e., shows like Married With Children). All things considered, it's difficult to understand how or why Firefly lasted as long as it did.

...But hey, I DID mention to get those tomatoes ready: there are people who think this show is great, I just can't get why. The issues I mentioned just don't bother some people. It's not like I personally can lay a claim to great taste: there are lots of things that I like that are bad...it's just I KNOW they are bad, and I like them anyhow.
I admit it wasn't perfect, but it's my opinion that the chemistry between the cast members is what made Firefly so popular despite it's flaws; it was the unique combination of actors and their characters that made it work. And, yeah, I have my own list of things I like (movies, television, music, etc.) despite the full knowledge that they're rubbish. :D

To be fair if you were channel surfing and came across the episode where they were doing formal dancing for 15 minutes you would wonder what all the fuss was about.

I am going completely against the norm here, but I think that Pulp Fiction is one of the biggest pieces of cinematic tripe in history.

No, you aren't: In fact, I think all of Tarantino's movies stink, and I don't buy that 'they are just ironic , bad on purpose'. The man can't write, and everything he does is derivative and badly done derivative at that. I can see grade Z movies that are trying to be good movies, and do without the smirky 'I'm doing this on purpose' nonsense.

This one is going to be unpopular, but you did say "Movies that everyone else likes" so here goes:

T2.

While I firmly believe the original to be the best Terminator flick I certainly don't hate T2. Almost everyone I meet prefers T2 though, interesting to meet someone else who likes the first one better!

As for Firefly, never cared for it either.

All of the Lord of the rings movies and the Hobbit movies too. I just can get into them. Jackson needs to be back in horror or Dramas like Heavenly Creatures. That was stunning.

Although I loved Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit was almost unbearable for me. I still have no desire to see the 2nd or 3rd installments

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back