Movie Props From Westerns?

Stormer

Anyone ever make props from any westerns? I am trying to make the gun from good the bad and the ugly and shane. if you have any prop from westerns pls post pics I would like to see them.

I'm your huckleberry...

tombstone001.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Feb 23 2007, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1425388[/snapback]</div>
I'm your huckleberry...
[/b]
"...say when"

Awsome movie, awsome display.

Thanks, Montagar... It was to be Doc's pair of guns, but in researching, I discovered his were of two separate models. So I shifted to do the dueling desparados instead. Pair of Denix revolvers, cherry wood grips painted ivory. Fun display to do.

im also looking into the pistols from the good the bad and the ugly, so far the navy cal. 36 1851 or 1861 model Colts are the closest ive found.

I've been looking into a reproduction of the badge worn by John Wayne as Deputy U.S. Marshal Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn in True Grit:

8858517.jpeg

Sorry for the blurry pics, but I haven't been able to get a sharp screen cap of this badge. Sharp publicity stills exist, but I don't have any available. (If anyone out there can provide a scan, I'd be grateful.)

Although clearly modeled on actual period marshal's stars, the design of the Cogburn badge does not exactly match any authentic star I've been able to find, which leads me to believe it was specifically a prop creation.

Interestingly, the same style of badge was worn a few years earlier by Alan Hale Jr. as the Skipper in a dream sequences on Gilligan's Island:

0010698.jpeg

Thanks, Pilot, for hosting. :thumbsup

i think it says

DEPUTY
*&US&* (yea, not the same design but thats all i can think of right now)
MARSHAL

i think sideshow is coming out with figure of ol' Rooster :)

chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydin @ Feb 24 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]1425482[/snapback]</div>
i think it says DEPUTY *&US&* MARSHAL
i think sideshow is coming out with figure of ol' Rooster :)[/b]
There is an authentic Deputy U.S. Marshal's badge that looks similar and has the inscription as you have described. But from what I can tell, Cogburn's badge does not say "U.S." anywhere on it. The design at the center of the badge appears to me not to include any text. It's just decorative.

Sideshow did come out with a Premium Format figure, but their version of the badge is not screen-accurate (and wouldn't be, even in 1:1 scale):

4450263.jpeg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormer @ Feb 24 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]1425493[/snapback]</div>
Hey this kind of looks like that marshall badge http://misslaurasgifts.com/store/image/ovu..._with_Clasp.jpg[/b]
Yup. That's a replica of the authentic badge on which I think the Cogburn (or "Skipper" :p ) badge was styled.

in the true grit cap, it looks like the middle part is a tiny version of "US" with that scrollwork on the sides.

on the skipper cap, it looks like US with no scrollwork.

i gotta dig out my dvd and see if i can get a shot of the badge somewhere :lol

it might just be my imagination at 2:30am, but i think i see it.

chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydin @ Feb 24 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1425502[/snapback]</div>
in the true grit cap, it looks like the middle part is a tiny version of "US" with that scrollwork on the sides.[/b]
Well, you could be right. But the "US" would have to be really tiny.

5739458.jpeg

If only we could get a really sharp shot of the badge. Anyone out there have a clear publicity still?

Thanks, Pilot. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Uber Fett @ Feb 24 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]1425498[/snapback]</div>
i think sideshow is coming out with figure of ol' Rooster[/b]
That would be awesome...[/b]
They're calling it "the Duke ... costumed as a Western hero." I guess there must be some contractual reason for avoiding references to True Grit and Rooster Cogburn.

It's a cool piece:

6308372.jpeg

Here's the link:

Sideshow Collectibles: John Wayne Premium Format Figure

Michael Crawford gave it four stars overall, his highest rating. Here's his review:

CAPTAIN TOY Michael's Review of the Week: Sideshow Premium Format John Wayne - Western Hero

Thanks, Pilot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Feb 24 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]1425616[/snapback]</div>
I've always wanted to do a display of Josey Wales pistols...
[/b]
^Seconded.^

That's the best western ever filmed, IMO.

Given much thought as to how you'd do it? Wales carried 5 pistols IIRC; would you just have a pair for the display, or go all out using all the ones he carried?

I have a clunky plastic version of his two main guns, plus I think Denix makes them too. My thought was a display in a shadow box with the pistols oriented at 90 degrees to each other like in the classi publicity shot...

TheOutlawJoseyWales.jpg

Hey Stormer,
Issue 52 of GUNS OF THE OLD WEST had a large article on the SHANE pistol & holster. Here's a "teaser"
email me if you'de like me to email you the article.
ed-209

Shane_Rig-01a.jpg

thanx for websites guys i been to all those also I have subscribe to guns of the old west magazine since beginning. funny you mention outlaw joesy wales because in the new issue they talk about all the guns. It is a very good magazine I cant recoomend it enuff each issue Has a article about the propr from a western.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back