Most used Styrene?

FUBARed

Hey guys,

I'm educating myself on materials and have a quick Q about HIPS / High Impact PolyStyrene. I haven't worked with it, and I'm trying to get a basic rule of thumb. So without getting specific, whats the most commonly used thickness in props & cosplay? Just a broad overview.

I've seen a bunch of the different ways that it's used, but never a breakdown of what's best for what.

EX: Does 020 have a place at all, is it a waste of time to get involved with anything below 060, etc.

Thanks very much.

Side note- I wanted to post this in General Modeling but the site wouldn't let me so I thought this was the next best place.

There might be a rule if you're vacuuforming armor or something. Otherwise I use whatever thickness I need for something. It just depends on your dimensions, how strong it needs to be, etc.

Right, yeah I understand that. I would just like to know which size is most popular so I can better acquaint myself with it. no specific project or use, just what's most commonly used, overall.

Thanks

Last edited:
As Sluis said, you use the thickness that is needed for the job and looks accurate.
You wouldn't use 3mm thick styrene for a prop that was originally made from 2mm thick styrene.

It all depends on what you're building. Start off with 080 and get a few thinner sheets. You can always glue and sandwich sheets together to get a proper thickness and increase strength.

TazMan2000

I agree with the comments above.
When I started to work with Styrene, I went out and got a number of sheets at different thickness to have enough plastic in my shop, but I tend to use 3mm the most.
But that is a personal preference and depends on the project you are attempting

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back