Most Obscure Star Wars Prop (1977-1983)

I tried digging or posting about it late last year. I was trying to ID the grappling gun with no luck. There are D-rings on the top, and I think he pulls one.. maybe off his belt?View attachment 1001014

I remember reading somewhere (probably here on the RPF) that Luke's grappling gun is the gun part of a British WWII "Life Buoy" Flamethrower. It's slightly modified though, the front grip and barrel end are different. Here's a video talking about the flamethrower:

and here's the gun part (pic is taken from the video):
flamethrower.png

I remember reading somewhere (probably here on the RPF) that Luke's grappling gun is the gun part of a British WWII "Life Buoy" Flamethrower. It's slightly modified though, the front grip and barrel end are different. Here's a video talking about the flamethrower:

View attachment 1327988

Very cool!

View attachment 1327988
I knew it was something you fired from your armpit! It seems so obvious but i never would have guessed that. Thank you! Thats a neat piece of history right there

View attachment 1327988

That's pretty cool. It made me curious about what, if any modifications for done to the piece.

So I checked the screen grab...

sbmat-atwalkerbelly.jpg

It seems very different. The tendency from the prop department when using real and/or vintage weapons to modify them in a way that would not be permanent and easily reversible. So they could have always have used a cast but I also wondered why they should make such changes when the original look could easily work.

So it made me wonder if there are variations of the flamethrower out there. I think I found one that is closer...

main-qimg-0b1872a7f3f2a1b98856316968b10767.jpg

I am not saying this is it, but if this exists, there might be something even closer.

I got something for you but it’s really not what I call a true answer. The 6” scale snow speeder is hitting the market and YouTube videos are showing up with details about the product.

The craft comes with the grenades. There are two removable grenades that can be stored inside the cockpit. There are other grenades in the cockpit but they are not removable.

These grenades look to be the details you see on the side of Luke inside the cockpit. However as you can see that those items do not look like the same thing Luke throws. I think that this is Hasbro just making some assumptions rather than having correct information. sometimes these things catch on. So who knows, you might see someone try to make a Hasbro version of the Hoth grenade into 1:1 Prop replicas.

View attachment 1316577

View attachment 1316578

thd9791 posted this image on his new grapple gun thread. look in his left hand.

D9993102-FBC7-4F6B-8439-710126CF67EE.jpeg

This is a visual match for the little items inside the cockpit. You can also see they are longer than what he appears to have in his hand prior to throwing it. Maybe the handle is removed to active or maybe we just aren’t getting a good view of the grenade at the time. But for the most part, it looks like Hasbro got this detail right.

I had not noticed the grenade hanging from his vest before.

NOW WE KNOW WHY LUKE HAD SILVER HOOKS ON HIS VEST!!!

The last photo is one like I posted a few pages back when they it was fist asked about the grenade. The basic issue was that when he is about to toss it, it is very different looking from it looks before that.

Note in the previous studio image and when hanging on his vest, it looks quite long, but what he throws is shorter But I am now just wondering if it just sort an illusion based on the size of the glove and the angle.

Last edited:
I have this feeling that those brass endcaps with D rings are found parts. He might literally hook that on his vest and detach the grenade leaving a black thing on top, and the brass thing might still be on his vest

That bunker bomb looks like the angled base might not be part of the cylindrical part. I thought it was one molded piece. I wonder why two roles of holes were cut through on the base?

:lol: Yeah, (more reading) it's described as being "constructed of a resin outer shell," and those holes are drilled awfully close together - one sharp blow in the right spot and you lose a chunk.

Has anyone made Lumpy’s wooded X-Wing?

Many years ago, StarWars.com did a write up about the Holiday Special And some of the props. They talked about the X-Wing. Apparently it was simply the MPC X-Wing model kit available in stores at the time with a faux wood paint job.

lumpy_lightbox_2.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back