Most iconic car in history

I get the feeling they would/could have addressed the car's shortcomings in an updated model, but we'll never know.
Ah yes, the Island twin-turbo. It was originally designed to give the aging Alpine A310 another boost in its lifecycle, and promising results prompted them to test it out with the DMC-12. During initial testing with a prototype equipped with the Island, the DMC ended up being quicker than the Ferrari 308 and the Porsche 928 of the time with a 0-100 Kmh (0-60 Mph) time of just 5.8 seconds, completing the quarter mile in under 15 seconds. This impressed John Z. so much, he ordered 5,000 of the Twin turbo engines to be put in the 1984 DMCs as a $7500 option (possibly to compete with the new Corvette). As we all know however, DMC went under, and without any funds to compensate for the orders, Island also went under. Thankfully, both of the the Twin-Turbo examples remain roadworthy, and they still haul for 80s sports cars. Still, kudos to the guy with the HEMI swap, that sounds insane! Finally, I’d like to say that the similarities between the Lotus Esprit and the DMC are more than just a coincidence, as both were designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, the founder of Italdesign. His company recently designed a super-expensive version of the Nissan GT-R.

Last edited:
To be fair, the '80s (let alone the '70s) weren't the best years for fast stock car times. My first car was an '88 Cavalier Z24 with a 2.8L V6. Terrible power and yet with the 5-speed, you could get it up to 60 in like 8.2 seconds, which sounds bad, but looking at the stock engines in the 1980s, it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Even the Corvette they had in the A-Team all the time was slow.... I got my first WRX in 2006 (2004 model) and with only 227HP the thing could do 5.4s to 60 with its AWD if you timed it right (4.8 with my 2011 stock). Cars have gotten crazy fast (meaning stock) since then.

And then along comes Tesla and its new SUV is SICK fast. I dunno, though. To me, half the fun is the manual transmission. If I wanted to just coast up to 100 mph in 2.7 seconds, I could get on the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point Amusement Park. I guess I could say something similar about digital cameras. Even the "computerized" SLR cameras from the 1990s were taking some of the "skill" out of photography. Now my cell phone can take photos as good or better in some light conditions as my pocket Canon camera and that phone cost me $38 on sale (Windows Phone, don't ask). Yeah, there's framing and night photography and in driving unless it's a street drag, cornering and other skills, but still. At least there's been a lot of stories in the news about car jackers having to get back out of the car because it's a manual transmission and they can't drive it. :D

What I think is most visually striking and memorable: The Yellow/blue/red MFP Pursuit Specials that appear before they roll out The Last of the V8 Interceptors.
I thought I was the only one around here who like the Aussie sedans, glad to see I’m not alone! There’s even a limited production run of some 1:18 AutoArt models going on here: MFP Badges
Sadly, it’s become common knowledge that two of the three sedans that were used ended up at the scrapper:
C20125AB-D7B5-4476-9244-B6DF62310C9C.jpeg
2207DBFE-AC3F-4629-9D13-3E769D931724.jpeg
16A172E6-A9F5-4015-B25B-DAF4DADEAAAE.jpeg
C63A244F-A005-43DF-9E6A-4E643AC105EC.jpeg

However, since the one Max drove wasn’t damaged, it wasn’t scrapped, and was sold off to someone. Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering what happened to it.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going with the Delorean DMC-12. No other car could go back in time and bring me back Sam Spade's Touch Tip lighter from his desk in 1941, shortly after the Maltese Falcon case, even in a scaled down remote controlled drone version! Only the flux capacitor makes time travel possible and the stainless steel construction is necessary in order to....look out! There it is! The replacement clock for the Hill Valley Court House! The Delorean has it towed behind it! :p

Surreal Delorean Touch Tip.jpg

Place your vote!
Please keep in mind, due to the nature of our community we tend to lean towards prop cars, but don't be limited to that. I'm talking about ANY car in history.
So here's how you should select your choice: imagine going to a busy mall an picking 100 random strangers and simply asking them the question. Which car would get the most votes?
Ironically, I still think it's going to be a movie car.

'66 Batmobile?
BTTF Delorian?
Ecto-1?
General Lee?
Other?
K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back