More details on the Vader ROTJ saber - Please archive

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-5c.jpg

Look at the square where the slider switch used to be. You can clearly see a whitish thing right under the black bulb socket.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Brevin Din-Shay wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-3b.jpg

Also, look at the material inside the tube beneath the silver button/port plug. This material (the same as apparent in the sides where the "recharge ports" show) looks to be the same color as the bottom half of the saber!
This may not be proof in the strictest sense, but I do believe it supports the theory of 2 different halves...or at least, the coating on them. Oh, and let's not forget the endcap!
icon_wink.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Darf, you can also see it under the recharge plug "button" thingy. If you follow the top of the insert around, it lines up perfectly with the whitish spot in the test lamp switch.

Now we just need to figure out what it is!!!!

I saw the white under the button. I was just pointing out that there's another clear view of it, so as to not open the door to a "it's just an optical illusion" comment.
icon_lol.gif

I agree that the grips are most likely metal. Why wouldn't they repaint them like they may have done with the control box. The control box looks like it was repeatedly painted. There's enough proof that they are likely to be screws.

Oh, forgot to ask, does anyone know a source for finding the black bolts WITHOUT those three little holes on the head???

The only ones I have found have those 3 little trademark holes...

vaderrotj27b.JPG

Note the gap below the control box. The blue arrow is very vague but you can still see it. There's no way that can be the L-cut on the graflex bottom. That (This person cannot express opinions maturely)'s wood man.

Imperious - what are you talking about?
Seriously, it's not clear to me. What do you think is wood?

The slot is exactly where it should be (approx 1/4" above the grips). That just seals it for me that it is a real Graflex bottom.

I didn't notice any other scratches that definitely looked like metal (besides the big chip). With all the dirt everywhere it's hard to say. I do think hey're metal, just looking for more supporting evidence.

DS- I bought 3 or 4 sets of bolts before I found exact matches. It was so long ago though I don't remember what store finally had them. Others were too long, had recessed circles around the hex hole, or the three stamped letters.

gflash9.jpg

No way, the horizontal (graflex standing up) gap of the L-cut is way more shallow than the gap on the prop.
Just think of it this way. It just so happens that the bottom of the vader rotj prop is weathered and beaten to a wood-like finish, whereas the top of the saber (which is definitely a graflex top) is nice and shiny and metallic.
What are the chances of that happening!?

Imperious,
I scanned the base of my Graf and compared/ scaled it to the pic of the base. The slot on mine is a tad smaller, but not by much, and that could just be my poor photoshop skills.
icon_biggrin.gif

vaderrotj27b compare_1.JPG

DS. I found my bolts at Home Depot. They had several different styles but did have the plain faced ones too.

OK, I'll split the difference with you
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still on the fence that there is enough of a variance there to say that that is defintely not a graf base. I know, I'm probably just being thick-headed, but why would they go through the hassle of cutting it?

Sorry it's not a better comparison shot. I've got to get me digital camera!!!

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
DARTH SABER wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Personally I think the bottom half is a sausage....

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

mmmmmm....Sausage with cheese grips, I would eat it if it weren't 20 years old!

I think you should make yours exactly this way!

On another note, 16 threads per inch is one hell of a coarse thread!

I have some store bought screws that I was going to try an experiment on just for you. But the are just regular flat head countersunk screws with just under a 3/8" head on them. Which is the size of plugs I use in my control box. The only problem I see, it that is I use those screws and bolt the box on with the center of the screw to the inner-tube area. I don't think it will line up the same way we see in the picture that looks into the bottom of the box.

But I can try this and set it up on a tube and try and duplicate the angle to see if we achieve the same results. But who knows maybe the control box is actually made of hardened Soilent Green or maybe itÂ’s just newgit??

Wood? Well, to each his own I guess, but I see nothing to indicate wood at all. You know you can't rivet to wood either.

The slot is exactly where it should be and the right size.
Are you looking at a real Graflex of an HK?
My real Graflex slot is wider than the HK and matches perfectly to the Vader saber.
Like I said that cliches it for me...real bottom.

If the bottom was anything else the gap would be 1/2" higher.

Anyone else think it's a little weird that there's no PVC pipe or whatever seen in that gap? Could the pipe end at the midband?

I was eyeballing that gap. I compared it to the hex bolt and it looks to be pretty big. Bigger than the L slot on the Graflex bottom. The hex bolts are practically the same size as the area with the pins on the Graflex headshell.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back