More details on the Vader ROTJ saber - Please archive

Somebody needs to fix their BBcode... possibly a missing Quote Tag
icon_smile.gif

* EDIT *
Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

I always thought when this Graflex was made into a stunt saber, they popped off the bottom endcap of the Graflex, attached the top and bottom sections with the midband, stuck the stunt blade down the middle, and filled the saber up from the missing endcap side with resin or something- then drilled the holes after it dried and used the hex-bolts to keep the whole thing from flying out the other side while dueling. They also drilled and taped the linhof straight into the resin.

OK, I can kinda see putty on the edges, but it looks more like it's under the washer (if it isn't just 20 years of crud). There's still a definite edge to the washer/metal disk and it's higher than the bottom edge of the graflex tube (except in the center where it bends). It's easy to see the double edges in all the pics.

The washer/disk is metal. It's dull like the rest of the bottom, but in several of Kenny's pics you can see it's reflecting the Kobold bracket. So there's no way it's just grey.

DS- are you going to make it as it is today or how it looked back in '82? You know it likely hasn't been cleaned since and they chopped the blade off for exhibition.

Im probably going to make it as it is today...Mainly becuae it would probably be hard finding referrence pics from 82'...

BTW here are some more Valve stems-
697.jpg

been reading this thread and lots of great info. just though i might add my dos centavos about the mid band activator. the main thing is to find out the manufacturer and then narrow it down. well what if this momentary switch came from the same company that they used for the fett momentary switches.

does that make sense.
icon_lol.gif

just trying to help.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
DARTH SABER wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
BTW, I did a little seaching and I found this...

Its not exact mind you. but the major features seem to be in the same place as the control box...

YJ-9304L.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

What is that thing and do you have the link to it? I want to experiment, myself as well.

I'm still waiting for KL to get the latest 4 pics I have up. I just e-mailed him, so it could be a while.

There's plenty to reply to in the meantime, though...

Let's start with the only pic I could get through to him last night:

dvrotjrpfpic1b.jpg

This is what I was talking about when I said:

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Also, I have a VERY compelling picture that shows support for threads in the activation box, not [EDIT] SPRINGS.
Believe it or not, the shot is from one of the two small rectangles at the bottom...again pointing towards the front cylinder.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Check it out...and man, if there was ever a time I'd love to post a pic at FULL resolution, this is it...but undeniably, there are threads there, not springs or coils.
I hold to my theory about this part being removed with some special electrician's tool that's similar to a flat-head screwdriver. However, if springs were ever there in the first place, it would seem apparent that they aren't there now.

DS: About my comments on the pic you posted of the circuit breaker, I didn't mean to say it was close. I just meant it could possibly be altered to serve our purpose.
icon_wink.gif

Also, about this:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
DARTH SABER wrote:
Well, I found this as far as tire valves for the silver button...I believe its for a motorcycle..

vs59-6944.jpg

==============
697.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice find, but I very highly doubt that's the part. For one, the hole is way too small.

I have one of those Graflex pieces that were considered a possibility for being the "real" silver button/port plug. I'll take a pic of it in a little while. I can tell you now, though, that's not the piece. The circumference is correct, but the stem is wrong. It's threaded, and as Steve already pointed out, doesn't have the flat edge on the bottom.

To get back to the issue of the finish on both halves - at this point, I don't know what to believe the bottom is. If, as Chris pointed out, the difference in coloration is due to the fact that the grips from the ESB stunt were removed, there would be one of the following, IMO:

1. Various spots on the saber where the finish did not look dull, or;

2. Big chunks where the chrome was taken off and brass was exposed. (This I know from personal experience...the first saber I converted, I removed the grips about 5 times and that was the result!)

Ken's pics are a big help in this matter. Thanks man, you helped me out without knowing it!
icon_lol.gif

The endcap issue...well, as I said earlier in the thread, it just looks very uneven on some edges as compared to others. Fried mon cal reiterated that point, I believe, with this pic:

DVROTJbutt-obi1kenny-mod.jpg

One final thing I'll point out before I leave it for now...
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
DARTH SABER wrote:
The D-ring will be brown also.
icon_biggrin.gif

Don't let the color fool you, Pat! I've taken lots of close-up pics of sabers I've converted, and guess what? The chromed parts many times come out looking BROWN!!!

Looks as though I've opened yet another can of worms...
icon_razz.gif

Great investigating by you all!

Hey Ken...
As an avid collector of your projects I need to ask...
Do you have any of those machined Graflex's kickin around?
What other wonderful things do you have? I need em!
obi1kenny wrote:
And if you want to go way way back and learn a little bit about the first project I ever posted here, then check here for the solid machined graflex:
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=obi1kenny&album_id=53348

Brevin Din-Shay wrote:
I'm still waiting for KL to get the latest 4 pics I have up. I just e-mailed him, so it could be a while.

Sorry for the delay, guys - just woke up over here! It's a holiday so I slept in a bit...
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I up'd the pics and sent the links to David, so he'll be posting them soon, I'm sure.

In the meantime, here's an enlarged shot of the threading:

dvrotjrpfpic1c.jpg

DS - You want yours to look as bad as the original??!! You're crazy!! But I can't wait to see it!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Are you still going to use an original Graflex bottom?

Once again...many, many thanks to KL for hosting my pics!
You rule, man!
icon_smile.gif

I'll try to make this quite a bit shorter than the last post, but not without emphasis on the main points.

Let's start with these 2 pics:

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-1b.jpg

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-2b.jpg

Now...the purpose for putting those up is to give further backing to my belief that the two halves of this saber are not the same. The second one REALLY lays it out, IMO.
As I mentioned above, a saber that had grips removed wouldn't appear dull. Instead, it would appear a goldish color, where the brass has been exposed (again, assuming it is indeed a genuine Graflex bottom, or at least plated brass tubing).

Here's another very interesting pic that deals with other issues:

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-3b.jpg

First and foremost, I want everyone who's reading this thread to notice the MISSING PIN. Little is it known that only ONE pin is in this saber, and it's difficult to tell if it's an original Graflex part or not.

Also, look at the material inside the tube beneath the silver button/port plug. This material (the same as apparent in the sides where the "recharge ports" show) looks to be the same color as the bottom half of the saber!
This may not be proof in the strictest sense, but I do believe it supports the theory of 2 different halves...or at least, the coating on them. Oh, and let's not forget the endcap!
icon_wink.gif

Last pic for the night:

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-4b.jpg

DS, I hope this satisfies at least in part your wish for a door latch pic.
icon_smile.gif

As you can see, the latch is chopped off right before it hits the shroud.
Also, take a good look at the rectangular hole where the slide switch used to be. It's half black, half dull grey!

What do you all make of these findings?

Edit: You read my mind on this, KL!
Oohyeah KL wrote:
In the meantime, here's an enlarged shot of the threading. . . .</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Brevin Din-Shay wrote:

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-4b.jpg

Also, take a good look at the rectangular hole where the slide switch used to be. It's half black, half dull grey!

Comparing this shot with the shot showing the port plug, it seems like whatever the insert material they used butts up against the part of the bulb guts. If you follow the insert around to the switch, the grey lines up.

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-3b1.jpg

Also, it doeslike there is some kind of tape/ sticker over the "screw".

This thread just keeps getting more and more interesting! I don't suppose there's a good close up of how the ball-catch is attached? In the one blurry photo I've found it looks like the phillips head screw we usually use on our replicas. I just thought a photograph would be interesting to see.

Keep up the good work you guys!

Dave

Fried Mon Cal: You hit on yet another big point when it comes to this saber. I don't think that's tape you're seeing by the screw (I assume you mean the one above the port plug and under the shroud, right?). Instead, it looks solid!
I don't even have a good enough guess that's postworthy as to what that could be. Sure isn't an untampered original Graflex part, though.

Dave: Glad you're enjoying the thread! Hopefully it will benefit everyone.
icon_smile.gif

Again, I don't have the means to post a pic, but I can answer your question.

The screw that attaches the door latch is NOT a phillips-head! It's a flat-head, and the one I have used ever since making/converting these sabers is the one Wada Yado has in his tutorial.
It's a #4-40 x 1/2" screw, not common but not that difficult to find.
icon_wink.gif

Maybe we'll get a pic up showing that in a day or so...

Ken: I hate to be an ass, but I don't see why the grips shouldn't be discussed.

When you say "dead horse", what do you mean?

It looks like metal to me. T-Track or not, it's pretty clear from the scratches and the metallic color showing underneath the chips that it's metal.

Brevin Din-Shay wrote:
Again, I don't have the means to post a pic...

Hey, that's why I'm here! That's why I even exist!! That's my raison d'etre!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone wants pics hosted, just shoot 'em to me!
icon_biggrin.gif

You make some very good points, David. If it were a Graflex bottom, it would show the brass instead of looking like rusted steel pipe. Could be darkened brass though and when I checked my Graflex bottom, I noticed how almost flat the bottom looks than from how it looked before. It wouldn't take much to cover it up to make it all flat, but for that edge to still stick out like that gives more reason to believe it's not a Graflex bottom.

I'm not sure that one pic proves threads over a spring, but I do lean towards threads now. A compressed spring would look about the same, the "tell" would be the edges - sharp or rounded.

Interesting about the bit showing up in the eye/plug hole and switch area. PVC or maybe metal pipe?

The discoloration of the bottom could have happened a number of ways. I was thinking more like they used a solvent on the glue residue which took most off but left a film.
The primary proof FOR the real Graflex bottom is the slot visible in the gap in the band. That would have to be explained before I'd consider a replacement bottom.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back