molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

Hi all, new guy here. Molotow Liquid Chrome is fantastic.I was trying to find out how much heat it will take. I rebuild headlights, and for over 4 years couldn't find any chrome spray that I could do. I tried it in my masters G-44 air brush, and it wont put out enough paint. Art primo painted some train cars using a cheap Harbor Freight air brush. I bought one, and it worked great. You have to put enough on to keep it shiney, any dull parts, will stay dull. Pic of before and after, and I didn't even wipe the test piece off.

Attachments

• molotow sprayed-4.jpg
    molotow sprayed-4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 597
  • reflector half done molo.jpg
    reflector half done molo.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 634
The bottle of Klear Kote, the bottles of Alclad yellow and turquoise paint.

The Klear Kote is made by Alclad. The coloring is alcohol based ink that I added to the Klear Kote, and it is not made by Alclad, it's made by Ranger.

Here's a pic:
SgrVqh2.jpg

The inks are from Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Joann. They all sell them. They usually come three in a pack, about $10 per pack, but all of those places always have discount coupons available.

Here's the Hobby Lobby product page for the inks. There's several color choices, and there are more colors that aren't listed on that page. You can see much better what they look like there, because my bottles are old and have other colors of ink spilled on them.

The Klear Kote is made by Alclad. The coloring is alcohol based ink that I added to the Klear Kote, and it is not made by Alclad, it's made by Ranger.

Here's a pic:
https://i.imgur.com/SgrVqh2.jpg

The inks are from Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Joann. They all sell them. They usually come three in a pack, about $10 per pack, but all of those places always have discount coupons available.

Here's the Hobby Lobby product page for the inks. There's several color choices, and there are more colors that aren't listed on that page. You can see much better what they look like there, because my bottles are old and have other colors of ink spilled on them.

Thanks for your clarifications and detailed explanations!

I would like to use this on a polypropylene sword. So I have a few questions. Do I need to use primer for this to adhere properly? I don’t have an airbrush can I use the marker with the huge tip and achieve the “chromey” effect that every one on this thread seem to be achieving? Thanks so much in advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to use this on a polypropylene sword. So I have a few questions. Do I need to use primer for this to adhere properly?
I'm afraid that it would be futile. Polypropylene is a difficult plastic to get any primer or paint to stick to very well. You might be able to paint it, but combine that with PP being somewhat flexible, it will flake easily.

I suggest that you try aluminium tape instead: https://youtu.be/O1--0DLJv-8?t=19m20s
Tape has glue that stays sticky and does not dry like paint does.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that it would be futile. Polypropylene is a difficult plastic to get any primer or paint to stick to very well. You might be able to paint it, but combine that with PP being somewhat flexible, it will flake easily.

I suggest that you try aluminium tape instead: https://youtu.be/O1--0DLJv-8?t=19m20s
Tape has glue that stays sticky and does not dry like paint does.

I am very aware of Tested as well as the aluminum tape method. For my case the aluminum tape wouldn’t conform to the fuller properly and it still had a “baked potato” look. I then switched to aluminum mylar which 95% of the sword looks great but around the tip and the base of the hilt looks really really bad. The wrinkles are so obvious and ugly. Even though I was very careful and even though 95% is great it I am really not happy overall. So I have been pursuing a good paint or system and I thought this was it. You don’t think it would work even with the primer made for polypropylene plastic like Krylon Fusion or the Rustoleum the goes on “anything”? Then use the molotow?

If you use a plastic adhesive paint or a primer made for PP it could work, the biggest issue is getting the Molotow to work well over a larger area. Drawing or spraying it seems to be tricky to get it to blend well with no edges/paint lines, so unless you have enough to dip it in you might not get a clean, evenly shiny look.

If you use a plastic adhesive paint or a primer made for PP it could work, the biggest issue is getting the Molotow to work well over a larger area. Drawing or spraying it seems to be tricky to get it to blend well with no edges/paint lines, so unless you have enough to dip it in you might not get a clean, evenly shiny look.

Obviously dipping is out of the question. I have seen several people on YouTube most notably Adam Savage use this very successfully in an airbrush but alas I don’t have an airbrush. So I ask to you and the community what would be better using a brush or the marker. I can get a primer on the sword that’s not an issue and I definitely can’t use the liquid chrome directly in the PP. my only options are getting the refill kit and brushing it on or using the marker on its own. They make a fairly large tipped marker. 20mm tip.

Molotow Burner Paint Marker 640 pp Chrome https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKX20IU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Bw7-zbD6QJD82

They make a fairly large tipped marker. 20mm tip.

Molotow Burner Paint Marker 640 pp Chrome https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKX20IU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Bw7-zbD6QJD82

Not sure that will give you the results you want....Experts, please chime in.......The Molotow Chrome marker is just that. A marker. I don't think a Paint Marker is the same thing. The Molotow marker that everyone loves says "liquid chrome marker" and your Paint Marker doesn't say that.

Apologies if I'm being overly cautious...:)

Not sure that will give you the results you want....Experts, please chime in.......The Molotow Chrome marker is just that. A marker. I don't think a Paint Marker is the same thing. The Molotow marker that everyone loves says "liquid chrome marker" and your Paint Marker doesn't say that.

Apologies if I'm being overly cautious...:)

No no thank you for pointing that out! I hope it’s the same one but I’m curious about input from the community.

Another success with this paint! Only one of these is aluminum:

TNG medical scanners

Molotow was applied with an airbrush (internal mix, gravity feed, 20-23 psi), and then topcoated after a few days with Alclad gloss clear.

Through experimentation I noticed that after application (while still wet), if you have a little bit of fuzz or texture, you can spray a light coat of lacquer thinner onto the Liquid Chrome to help it lay down flat.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back