molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by lovecraft, Jan 29, 2017.

1. lovecraft

lovecraft New Member

Empiricus, Nick K, Sixinabox and 4 others like this.
  2. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

That is amazing. To think you can get that finish from a paint marker is just incredible. I wonder how it would look on larger surfaces.
    For those people into vehicle models with chrome parts that are cut from spruces, I'm sure this is a godsend.

TazMan2000

3. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's definitely a great product. Awesome for faking metal weathering :)

4. Mooniteman

Mooniteman Well-Known Member

This is incredible! Would love to see a gold version of this! Was a huge pain in the * trying to sort out a reflective surface for the Rufio sword I made.

5. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That's nuts! I may have to get one or two. I have no idea what to use it for yet though.

6. lovecraft

lovecraft New Member

same! i am trying to resist buying this because i have no idea what to use it for and i don't want the pen to dry up when i have no props to paint : p

7. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

IMG_7096.JPG IMG_7097.JPG

So I picked them up and decided to try them out on a Star-Lord I am painting. On larger areas, close up the "brush strokes" of the marker are pretty clearly visible. I almost wonder if opening the marker and transferring the ink to a wider chiseled tip marker would be better? I was using the biggest one they sell, the 4 MM.

For small details that you can get in one stroke, such as the tubes here and weathering? It is absolutely amazing.
    It won't replace Alumaluster for chrome on larger areas but specifically for battle damaging? It's PERFECT. Even though the strokes are visible close up, from a distance the chrome look is actually quite amazing.

I'll have better HD photos soon when my camera is charged up.

8. lovecraft

lovecraft New Member

looks good!! can you do a spoon test and take close up shots as well??? thank you!!! : D

9. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Would it be an option to use the paint with an airbrush? They offer the Molotov liquid chrome as refill sticks as well!!!

robn1 likes this.
  10. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I was thinking the same thing.

11. The Terminator

That's odd, my 1mm doesn't leave any visible strokes :confused

12. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I have one of the 1mm's that should be here soon and I'll definitely test that out as well.

It seems like the wider rounded tip is depositing the chrome unevenly on the edges of the stroke. I tried just about everything to get nice and even finish, but keep in mind this is a much larger flat area. It seems to perform very well as I said for smaller weathering, and additionally on curved surfaces. It could just totally be me sucking with it too, I'll keep playing with it and figure something out eventually. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been able to find the refil for sale in America.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  13. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

EDIT: Scratch that, actually. Need to do more tests.

14. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did a quick test of this paint on the first thing I grabbed - a superglue cap. Keep in mind this is with zero surface prep so there's a bit of roughness from the cap, but overall it is VERY impressive:

[​IMG]

Definitely the most realistic metal/chrome look of any paint I've used so far.

After drying overnight, the paint does dull a bit if you rub it with a finger, but wasn't affected by buffing with a cloth. Will try a clear coat later.

15. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the clear coat as that tends to kill most half decent chrome effect paints out there so fingers crossed for you :thumbsup

cjchiu likes this.
  16. dmpsk8

dmpsk8 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bought 2. Sooooo much quicker for little details.

17. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice job.

What size nib was on your pen in the test?

Just ordered the 2mm, hope someone can try this though an airbrish. All my stuff is in storage so can try it myself.

18. E Williams

Thanks, but the marker did all the work! It's the 4 mm nib. I applied it in a uniform wet coat and it settled a bit as it dried.

19. razorsharp192

razorsharp192 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not seen Alumaluster before, how good is it? Durable? can you clear coat it?

20. zorg

E williams

Were the pen strokes quite evident in the final finish?

It looks like it has good coverage.

21. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Alumaluster is a product from Imperial Surface Technologies. Hard to get and stupid expensive. It is what actual fx shops use. I'm sure you've seen it from Legacy FX.. Iron Man, Thor's Hammer, Winter Soldier's arm, and more, all Alumaluster or IST products.

It is more durable than other chromes like Alclad and Spaz Stix because it has a resin base, and if you clear coat right it can be done without any dulling of the chrome. Clearcoat right? Yeah, water based clear with a tint of violet or blue. Teeny, tiny, minuscule drop of pigment and your chrome won't cloud.

questionstar and The Terminator like this.
  22. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

As for the question, can Molotow be airbrushed?

IMG_7173.JPG IMG_7172.JPG

Yes. Yes it can. These photos really don't do it justice. I am looking at it right now and it's comparable to a vac metalized piece.

I will wait a day or so and then do some clear coat tests.

Zinger, robn1 and E Williams like this.
  23. E Williams

The pen strokes self-leveled and disappeared for the most part, because it was applied in a wet coat. The cap is rather small, though. I'll need to do a test of a larger area.

dr_slurpee likes this.
  24. zorg

Im thinking if this was decanted through an airbrush, a larger nozzle and wet coat would be better.
    Something like an iwata rg-3.

I think if this was sprayed quite dry it would not give the refective surface needed.

As far as that alumaluster stuff goes, anyone have examples using it? The website pics always look better than real life.

25. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

When I sprayed the Liquid Chrome I definitely needed to do one wet coat. You can't apply it how you do normal chrome paints, building up slowly. When I said it wouldn't replace Alumaluster on larger areas, that was BEFORE I cracked one open and airbrushed it. As far as I'm concerned? I found my new favorite chrome. I feel like it is all around better than Alumaluster out of an airbrush and that is something I NEVER thought I'd say!

However.. since you asked for examples..
    The one one closest to my hand is Alumaluster on my tests here, trying out a few various chromes.

IMG_7251.JPG IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7253.JPG

ABE, MattgomeryBurns, dasAdam and 4 others like this.
  26. E Williams

Mr Mold Maker your airbrush tests look fantastic! Did you thin the Molotow with anything when airbrushing, or did you just use it as-is out of the pen?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Mr Mold Maker likes this.
  27. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Right out of the pen, no thinning at all. :)
    It comes out looking like mercury. I've never ever seen a chrome paint like it.

IMG_7122.JPG

I've got the clear down on a Kylo Ren helmet I'm painting and I'll airbrush this stuff for the chrome bands and update then. :)

The Terminator and E Williams like this.
  28. zorg

Edit, okay i should have read all the previous replies first!

Thats not bad at all, thanks for posting.

Couple of questions
    Does the alumaluster need thinner for spraying and if so with what?

Is the skull alumaluster or molotow?

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Mr Mold Maker likes this.
  29. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

No worries, I am excited too. This has just changed the paint on chrome game in my humble opinion.

No, no thinning Alumaluster.
    The skull is Alumaluster. The other chromes on my test piece are Spaz Stix in the middle, and Shrapnel at the end, while the Alumaluster is closest to my hand.

On the first page my post with the spray cap? That is the Molotow sprayed. Pictures seriously don't do it justice. I have attached a short clip of the spray cap.. keep in mind, that was just a dirty spray cap I grabbed for testing. Over a properly prepared and glossed base? This stuff will be wicked.

Attached Files:

robn1 likes this.
  30. zorg

Im not expecting 100% chrome mirror reflection (it would be nice but aint gonna happen) but from what you have showed it seems good enough for me.

A lot of movie chrome pieces aint mirror chrome anyway.

I saw a refill metioned for the pens, not seeing any. Anyone else had any luck?

Looking forward to seeing your results with a top coat. Good luck.

Z

31. The Terminator

I too have fallen for Molotow's chrome, they should sell just the paint.

My jaw dropped when I watched the first video of it, and in the back of my head I yelled "this has to be too good to be true!".

32. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Aaaaaaaand, clear coat kills it... ask me how I know. Not even my typical water based clear worked like it usually does.. I'll have to do the black bands, then tape off and redo the chrome last as the chrome doesn't like tape.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  33. zorg

Keep posting! no ones complaining.

From "memory" didnt i read a urethane based lacquer is needed?
    Isnt the ink alcohol based?

Something is bound to work.

Does it pick up fingerprints like that chrome aerosol paint cans do?

Thanks for your efforts

The Terminator likes this.
  34. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

For typical chromes, a water based sealer like Aqua-Gloss or future are needed. A urethane clear (2K) or Lacquer and enamel clears will all eat the chrome. In most cases I will do a layer of water based dealer, and then go over that with a 2K clear.

This stuff is different. When it's drying it almost forms a sort of rubber layer. It takes a good day or so to dry, but once it does it is extremely resistant to finger prints and to buffing off. If you are familiar with typical chromes you'll know that too much handling or buffing will rub it right off the surface if you haven't sealed it.

In all honesty, I am not sure that a clear coat would even be necessary as long as the chrome was your LAST step. You can not mask over the chrome, or the tape will take a fine layer when it's removed. What I will do for this Kylo helmet is once the black bands are dry, I will mask the black and do the chrome as my very last step instead of doing the chrome, masking, and then doing the black bands. I used both Tamiya fine surface tape, as well as gorilla tape.. both the green and yellow kinds... for reference.

But yeah, other than the tape issues, this stuff is very strong and resilient and like I said may not even need clear coating.

E Williams likes this.
  35. zorg

How do you think it would accept a gold tint over the top for a 3po or ironman helmet?

Maybe an ink?

36. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Accept a gold tint? Beautifully, I think. I haven't tested this, but I am pretty confident it will work fine.

When I did my Iron Man helmet I used Shrapnel and then a candy clear just like the original helmets. I think this would react quite similarly. Alclad's Candy Yellow works very well.

PoopaPapaPalps likes this.
  37. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Would love to see you try it with this and share the results. I'm looking for something that makes a near-mirror finish gold/brass color for a future long term project and your results and praise may have swayed me from using just tinted Alclad.

38. ZeroSum

ZeroSum Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some great pics there, Mr Mold Maker.

Molotow also does a spraypaint call Molotow Burner Chrome. I thought I'd get one of those and test it alongside the 4mm Liquid Chrome marker. I put the spoon samples alongside a store-bought silver plastic spoon for a comparison. It's kind of a dark chrome, almost a smoke chrome so probably not the ideal comparison.

chrome samples.jpg chrome samples2.jpg

Well, it's certainly no replacement for the chrome marker. As a silver spraypaint however, it's quite a nice reflective paint and you can't see the metal particles so it doesn't have that glittery effect that some silver spraypaints have. It's a very large can and has a large round spray pattern.

There are obvious streaks from the marker nib in the Liquid Chrome. I don't blame the marker, I think it's just a matter of improving my technique. Besides, as we've seen an airbrush application provides impressive results. A marker is still good for small areas though.

E Williams and robn1 like this.
  39. dasAdam

dasAdam Active Member

oh man... what a day to be alive :D
    Mr Mold Maker
    many thanks for all the tests and first insights.

here is one question. can you sand it? would you be able to spray a thicker coat or even use the markers and sand it, polish it to get an even more perfect , thicker, more durable surface?

what you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  40. robn1

robn1 Master Member

@ZeroSum, the Burner Chrome looks like a good silver paint but how durable is it? Is it delicate like most silvers or is it tough enough to be handled?

41. ZeroSum

Hard to say for certain as I've only just bought it for the sake of testing it against the Liquid Chrome. I don't have a great deal of experience with silver spray paint, so you'll need to elaborate on what you mean by durable. As in, does it chip easily or rub off easily? Or something else? I could paint something and manhandle it and see how it goes, but obviously I wouldn't be able to say for sure how it would holdup long-term :)

42. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

What do you use to clean your airbrush after spraying this stuff? Is if flammable?

43. The Terminator

This stuff does look fantastic :) so happy I found this "magic" chrome marker

44. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just ordered all 3 sizes myself. :thumbsup

45. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Most silver or metallic paints tend to be soft, I can impress my fingerprint into them even after days of drying. And any handling will rub the shine right off. The chrome types are the worst, they look great as long as you never touch them. And clear coats just make them look like dull silver with a gloss coat. I've never had any luck with any clear.

Don't go out of your way, but if you do use this paint on anything I would be interested in how well it holds up after a reasonable drying time.

46. ZeroSum

So here's one I prepared earlier... on the left is a grille that I painted with Molotow Burner Chrome about 3 days ago. On the right is one I painted about a month or so back with Dupli-Color Stainless Steel.

chrome samples3.jpg chrome samples4.jpg

It's important to note that on the left I painted directly onto the resin without any sanding or primer. The one on the right has been properly prepped. I scratched both of them with my thumbnail and the result is in the second photo.

I may well do some more experimentation in the weekend as I'm as curious as anyone else as to how this all holds up. I've got a bunch of silver spray paint cans and have only really liked the look of the Dupli-Color Stainless Steel.

frasic and robn1 like this.
  47. Mooniteman

Mooniteman Well-Known Member

Has anyone tested the gold tint over this yet? Would love to upgrade my Hook sword!

-AJ

48. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

This is looking awesome. Great tests being performed. Would definitely be interested in seeing a gold tinting and a clear coat sprayed on this chrome.

Has anyone tried the Molotow UFA Chrome spray? It's a little less chrome for a slightly more expensive price, but it may be more similar chrome like the pens and less silver like Molotow Burner Chrome. And maybe the Molotow Burner Chrome works more like other brands of chrome where you need a gloss base coat and then mist it on to get the shine out?

49. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

0824823E-6A86-420A-8141-3DEE49B141ED.jpg

I talked directly with Molotow and the Refills are not available in the US at the moment. I also talked with the Amazon seller who I have been purchasing the pens from and they have told me they will look into it when they order their next batch, but couldn't tell me how long that would be.

This used about one and a half pens so it doesn't go very far, especially out of a detail gun, but wow.. you just can't beat it. Again, one very wet coat shot at about 20 PSI.. the chrome goes almost rubbery as it dries so get your masking tape off quick. I lifted a few edges where the Molotow didn't want to break from the tape.

As for questions.. clean with Lacquer Thinner.. you can also thin it and spray it on like typical chrome paints.. Alclad, Alumaluster, that sort, which I found very interesting. I haven't been able to test the gold tinting, nor the flexibility as this stuff is rather expensive to waste... but hopefully I can run some more small scale tests soon. I did use some slight brass and candy yellow tones in the cheeks of the Kylo helmet but not nearly enough to draw a result..it does look like it will take the gold tinting nicely though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  50. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

What is a resin base? I've never heard of a paint that had resin in it.

Also how did you decant the paint from the pen. I can see many ways that might go bad...