molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

I'd dare say that the metallic finish is quite impressive if that sample was applied with a brush, and I'd be extremely curious to see how it works airbrushed over a gloss black.

Hey guys I need your advice on chrome paints for my quarantine project.

Im building a custom 1/6 figure of 80’s comic character named ROM. I’ve always thought he really looked cool.

Since he’s all chrome, I would love know what is available now that isn’t too difficult to use and wouldn’t be ruined if its touched like Molotow. I want to be able to place him in different poses.

I looked through this thread and theres so many choices and I also see everyone trying out the different brands. I was wondering if there’s a favorite that everyone is using at the moment.

Thank you all for any help!

IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1980.JPG

Does anyone have any experience with tinting the Alclad AquaGloss? In it's liquid state, it's milky white, so I'm unsure about how it would take a transparent tint.

Hey guys I need your advice on chrome paints for my quarantine project.

Im building a custom 1/6 figure of 80’s comic character named ROM. I’ve always thought he really looked cool.

Since he’s all chrome, I would love know what is available now that isn’t too difficult to use and wouldn’t be ruined if its touched like Molotow. I want to be able to place him in different poses.

I looked through this thread and theres so many choices and I also see everyone trying out the different brands. I was wondering if there’s a favorite that everyone is using at the moment.

Thank you all for any help!

View attachment 1321277View attachment 1321276View attachment 1321275View attachment 1321274

Rom: The Space Knight!

I haven’t seen any reference to him in years...

Just realised that no one has posted about the new Mirror Paint from Stuart Semple's Culture Hustle- the same people that make the Blackest Black paint, which is a really, REALLY matt black, there's a video and I've seen a couple of reviews, but I'm going to have to get some to test on a gloss black base, this could be the one!

This was sold out when you linked it, but it came back in stock and I've ordered some. When I get a chance to actually test it I'll try to post some good photos of the results. I'll try brushing, airbrushing, and whatever else I can think of. Suggestions welcome.

Just started using an airbrush but haven't really tried Molotov or Alclad chrome in earnest. Tried a quick test of both but hadn't really prepped the surface. I'm looking forward to seeing good results though.

My MIRROR "mirroriest chrome paint" arrived, and I've done some tests. I'll try to get pics tomorrow when it's dry, but so far Molotow seems to be the clear winner. Definitely more mirror like. Perhaps the new stuff will hold up better? I'll do some touch tests as well.

Ok, a couple pics. In both the new stuff is on the left. One is painted (with painted Molotow on the right) and one is airbrushed (again, Molotow on the right).

Chrome 1.jpg

Chrome 2.jpg

Molotow definitely looks better, but the new stuff still looks good. If it happened to be more durable to touch or could take a clearcoat any better, those would be strong reasons to use it. Thanks for testing!

My issue with this type silver paint always comes down to finding a good gloss black that dries properly AND leaves a smooth gloss finish. The top coat is the easy part. Getting the surface to have a pefectly smooth gloss black finish is the tough part.

Molotow definitely looks better, but the new stuff still looks good. If it happened to be more durable to touch or could take a clearcoat any better, those would be strong reasons to use it. Thanks for testing!
It's pretty much the same as Molotow for durability.

Ok, a couple pics. In both the new stuff is on the left. One is painted (with painted Molotow on the right) and one is airbrushed (again, Molotow on the right).

When you say "painted Molotow", you mean you're just using a Molotow refill and...a regular paintbrush? From your photos, it looks shockingly smooth for a non-airbrush paint job!

When you say "painted Molotow", you mean you're just using a Molotow refill and...a regular paintbrush? From your photos, it looks shockingly smooth for a non-airbrush paint job!
Yeah, dripped paint out of the refill bottle and spread it everywhere with a paintbrush.

My issue with this type silver paint always comes down to finding a good gloss black that dries properly AND leaves a smooth gloss finish. The top coat is the easy part. Getting the surface to have a pefectly smooth gloss black finish is the tough part.
Molotow is an ink and is quite thick. It covers the under layer completely. As long as it is smooth and glossy you will git the mirror effect, doesnt have to be black.

Molotow looks good.....but that price. $40 for a 30ml refill. I wonder how many bottles it would take to paint the MIB Pulsar.

Molotow looks good.....but that price. $40 for a 30ml refill. I wonder how many bottles it would take to paint the MIB Pulsar.

They're $29 on Amazon, and one bottle goes a long way. You should be able to do a pulsar and have some leftover - when applied correctly, you need only one coat (and one coat is optimal given that thick, multiple layers are less likely to cure well).

BUT it is tricky to apply it over a large area with an airbrush as overspray can mottle the earlier passes. The Tamiya X-20a thinner may help with that as it evaporates slower than lacquer thinner, but I haven't tried a larger piece since reading that the X-20a was compatible with the Molotow. Maybe someone here has tried it through an HVLP?

After clear coating the Molotow, how long should it normally take to dry?
And if the Molotow wasn't 100% dried when the clear coat was applied would that cause a problem with the clear coat drying?

My experience is it doesn't really matter about a glossy black base coat, you have to apply the molotow so thick (wet coat) to get the chrome effect it nullifies what the base coat is. Glossy black base coats are for products like alclad where you gently mist on multiple layers.
Molotov needs you to splurge it on.
Last time I used it was over a scuffed up satin black and it went on fine.

The only issue being as being mentioned before, the edge of the spray pattern tends to dry as it's layed down.

I see some manufacturers (can't remember which ones) do retarder, maybe this will help like the tamiya thinners did.??

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back