Molding a Studio Scale escape pod.....

swpropmaker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here are some pics of the process. The hull is a matrix mold and the rest are two parters and some two part push molds. Enjoy.

206975533.jpg

Parts layout for the Studio Scale Escape Pod.

206975536.jpg

Intial clay of hull matrix mold

206975552.jpg

Hull matrix clay up and paint seal prior to fiberglass jacket application.

206975548.jpg

Hull prior to RTV pour

206975545.jpg

First test castings Engine base and 3 thrusters

206975539.jpg

close up thruster

206975538.jpg

Parts clayed and waiting for RTV

206975537.jpg

One side in Rubber, molds flipped and ready to be poured

Here are some shots of the main engine assemblies.

206994581.jpg

206994572.jpg

All molds are complete ans casting parts now. more pics soon.

PM me if your interested in any more info.

Steve

Its a pretty big beauty. Toughest part so far besides the freaking SIZE was figuring out how to holllow cast the main body . . . We looked at foaming it, rotocasting, slush casting . . . none would meet the high standards of NICE-N model designs . . . so we came up with a very unique solution that no one else has used that I am aware of (and we looked everywhere for ideas on this.), and that solution still lets us pressure cast the whole body WITH a hollow center.

Nope, I ain't telling yet . . . TRADE SECRET.

Steve, GET SOME SLEEP. You got a long drive tomorrow. If you get a chance, post some pics of the main body once its flipped and demolded . . . can't wait.

Ryan

Just grease up a plug form of some sort and mold around it. Hell, you could even stick a gallon jug in there and leave it. With a lit attacthed that is.

wax or clay on the rtv to make a consistant wall is my thought..I'll be doing this on the Firefox to get consistant wall thickness
Will

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rmschneider104 @ Nov 22 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]1363444[/snapback]</div>
Excellent work. Thanks for sharing the pics.
[/b]
Hi Steve Please make sure you have me down for the Escape pod
Thanks
Mark

P.S. Looks Great Can't wait

I have been receiving a lot of emails about the process so I thought IÂ’d share a little more here. Since its making a Studio Scale craft I guess this is Ok.

After pouring one side of RTV I let it cure. I had to separate the mold halves as you see here. Note the clay still inside the mother shell.
207144356.jpg

I dig all the clay out of the shell and put it in a bucket. This is how I tell how much RTV I need to mix up for the pour.
207144374.jpg

Here is a shot of the De airing process. To pressure cast RTV you need to de air it. I throw the lid on and in 8 mins under vacuum its ready to be poured.
207144367.jpg

This is the mother mold that has been prepped for pouring. The inside has been cleaned. I cut a hole in the top of the mold in this case is the actual bottom of the mols and hotglue a cup to catch the RTV when I pour. There are little drill hole throught the mold. As the RTV pours in the air is pushed out the little holes. Once the weight of the RTV really causes them to run I plug them with clay. You work from the bottom up.
207144362.jpg

Here is a shot if the Pod with one side poured. You have to clean the seam line of clay and make sure that the part has not been damaged by the earlier claying and fiberglass process.
207144372.jpg

We are planning to use a 5 qt bucket and 4” pipe to take up the inner space so the Pod can be pressure cast. You can see the bottom of the bucket on page one if you look close. They will not be in the way once poured. The bottom engine sections covers it as well as the top cone.

Thanks for all the interest.

Steve

by looking at page one, the kit doesnt look like its going to be too expensive, but after reviewing the molding process and the materials used, it just might be way too much for me, but we will see.

Here are some pics of pull #2, found out the hard way DO NOT put an air tight container inside a mold and then pressurize. The pressure crushed the container used to create a void in the casting and I lost 95 oz of resin the first pour. I vented the container so the inner pressure matches the outer pressure. Problem solved. It's hollow. Some of you may notice that the base engine piece doesnt look aligned. trust me it is (see top pic) it just moved a bit when I laid it down on the side for its glam shots. Fits like a glove.

209115097.jpg

209115091.jpg

209115088.jpg

209115085.jpg

209115083.jpg

209115080.jpg

209115076.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back