Mold Making

Garo Predator

Well i did some research on the lair for mold making and monstermakers but it didn't help all that much so I whipped up youtube and saw some videos of people making mold and I wondered if you could do this for latex mask with a sculpt since I plan on starting soon. So i am gonna run this video past you guys and see if this is good to copy. I am a visual learner so I had to find a video to show me how to mold lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOyBawt1-Ec...re=channel_page

http://www.monstermakers.com/content/howto.html

I dont really understand the concept of doing it with a clay sculpt idk if it will deform or what. After I am done I know I need to spray it with some clear acrylic spray paint before molding.

I read my monstermakers book on molding but my dumb self left at the house before we moved hopfully i will get that back soon.

Help much appreciated I know this seems like a noob question but I wanted to make sure before I start sculpting my pred.

you are going to sculpt a pred head that will be casted into latex? if that's the case you don't need the silicone mold as seen in the smooth on video. after sculpting, you will make your mold out of hydrocal/ultracal. most likely a 2 part. i don't think you will need 3. otherwise the video is spot on.

you are going to sculpt a pred head that will be casted into latex? if that's the case you don't need the silicone mold as seen in the smooth on video. after sculpting, you will make your mold out of hydrocal/ultracal. most likely a 2 part. i don't think you will need 3. otherwise the video is spot on.

Yes the mold will be latex. So your talking about making the mold with this right? http://www.monstermakers.com/product/ultra...sum-cement.html
Do I still smooth on that blue stuff in the mask and on the mask? I am sorry for the newb questions I just want to make sure I know how to do this when I do it.

I'm assuming the 'blue stuff' (technical term, patent pending) you're referring to is from the smooth on video? That was Urethane rubber, which is an alternative to silicone. You will not be using that.

If you're intending on making a latex head, your mold will need to be ultracal, and yes, you have the right stuff from monster makers. I've only experimented with it, but from what I understand, you will make a 2 piece mold with the ultracal, directly over your sculpt. The molds I've seen have had one piece over the back of the head, and the other on the front half. Your sculpt will be wrecked when you pull the mold off. I don't know what the best method of applying the ultracal is, maybe to mix it up thick and brush it on in layers? You might want to change your thread title to be more specific about the help you need, there are several people here who can probably help who may just not have looked.

The smooth on video probably has the right idea, but instead of using the rubber, you'll be using the ultracal which will not need a mother mold, because of course it will harden. Someone else will have to chime in on the best method of actually applying the ultracal to your sculpt.

The absolute BEST idea if it's your first time molding anything is to sculpt something small. It can be crappy, it really doesn't matter, it's just a test piece. Make a little miniature head (maybe fist size) without any real detail. Then try and mold it, the same way you would do a full size pred head. If you cock it up, no matter, it didn't take you weeks to sculpt, and you haven't just ruined all your hard work for nothing if it goes wrong. Trust me, there is no worse feeling in the field of prop making...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back