Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

You have knocked it out of the park so far. I think you will be fine
Glad you like it Mr, Analyzer! I hope this doesn't change your opinion.
DSCN0303.jpg
DSCN0304.jpg
DSCN0305.jpg
DSCN0306.jpg

Last few hours of work. Now, I really DO want to hear opinions and comments here and don't hold back. You ain't gone hurt my feelin's and I want to know before I make the mistake! Y'all see it, PLEASE, say it.

If I was to speak from a critique standpoint, the only thing I might point out is that the gap between the two thin walled parts around the center engine thing seem to be a bit uneven at the rounded corner in the first overhead picture (from the orientation in the picture it would be the top right where the round ends are. In that later picture from a different angle though I can't spot it so it depends on the angle you view it from

At any rate, I would not be concerned with it

Considering the size of these parts, I am amazed at the details you are getting. You really have a knack for duplicating those greeblies in such a small scale. It looks so much better than the original kits molded in parts

Also things are zoomed in a lot more than they would be compared to naked eye viewing

I can't speak too much about accuracy, but it looks like you got it

If I was to speak from a critique standpoint, the only thing I might point out is that the gap between the two thin walled parts around the center engine thing seem to be a bit uneven at the rounded corner in the first overhead picture (from the orientation in the picture it would be the top right where the round ends are. In that later picture from a different angle though I can't spot it so it depends on the angle you view it from

At any rate, I would not be concerned with it

Here?

DSCN0307.jpg

Considering the size of these parts, I am amazed at the details you are getting. You really have a knack for duplicating those greeblies in such a small scale. It looks so much better than the original kits molded in parts

Also things are zoomed in a lot more than they would be compared to naked eye viewing

Thank you sir.

Yes, very zoomed. As you know, you can't even SEE those superglue smears until I take a picture to post. It's usually why they're better in the next picture because I start removing them once I see them... IN THE PICTURES. It's a conundrum.

I can't speak too much about accuracy, but it looks like you got it

Ok, little confession here myself. I ain't got a clue about accuracy either! I'm using the exact same reference that has been mentioned and shown in this thread already and ain't got a CLUE what the majority of them parts is I'm looking at. I do know some here or there, maybe, but not alot. Just fiddling with this model kit, I've found out that the reference shows a model that changed severely since it was filmed for the show. All I'm doing is replicating what I see in those few pictures only to find out that MIGHT not be correct. Take, for example, those parts I built a few posts ago I called "snake scales" that turned out to be SOME kind of 1/12th scale Ferrari engine. Did I whittle the right kit? Who knows. I found 20 pictures of a 1/12th flat 12 ferrari engine and picked one that gave me something to go by. I helped that I found a good picture of a sprue. Those pieces you mention, again, I believe are some form of formula one racing car cowls. Looks like on the reference, there's about a 1/12th with a 1/20th inside of it. COULD BE WAY OFF here. don't know. What you see in those pictures is a 1/12th and 1/20 vac-formed over a wooden shape, I whittled, made out of .010" sheet styrene. Your "comment" that you called "critique" actually made my day! Fiddling with that inner ring took a minute or two!

C'mon, you can hit me harder than that! ;)

Seriously though, Thank you!

Here?

View attachment 1473838

Thank you sir.

Yes, very zoomed. As you know, you can't even SEE those superglue smears until I take a picture to post. It's usually why they're better in the next picture because I start removing them once I see them... IN THE PICTURES. It's a conundrum.

Ok, little confession here myself. I ain't got a clue about accuracy either! I'm using the exact same reference that has been mentioned and shown in this thread already and ain't got a CLUE what the majority of them parts is I'm looking at. I do know some here or there, maybe, but not alot. Just fiddling with this model kit, I've found out that the reference shows a model that changed severely since it was filmed for the show. All I'm doing is replicating what I see in those few pictures only to find out that MIGHT not be correct. Take, for example, those parts I built a few posts ago I called "snake scales" that turned out to be SOME kind of 1/12th scale Ferrari engine. Did I whittle the right kit? Who knows. I found 20 pictures of a 1/12th flat 12 ferrari engine and picked one that gave me something to go by. I helped that I found a good picture of a sprue. Those pieces you mention, again, I believe are some form of formula one racing car cowls. Looks like on the reference, there's about a 1/12th with a 1/20th inside of it. COULD BE WAY OFF here. don't know. What you see in those pictures is a 1/12th and 1/20 vac-formed over a wooden shape, I whittled, made out of .010" sheet styrene. Your "comment" that you called "critique" actually made my day! Fiddling with that inner ring took a minute or two!

C'mon, you can hit me harder than that! ;)

Seriously though, Thank you!
Yes there

Although honestly, there is not anything else I would complain about. I am sure if I was able to place a straight edge next to things, or examine closer I might find parts not entirely straight, symmetrical or aligned, but then again, you would probably find the same issues on the original filming model anyway

I know about the glue smears, I see it myself when I build things and don't catch them until I look at pics of it. In some cases the primer hides a lot of that

Again I find it to be a fantastic job. The best Galactica Build I have seen outside of a studio scale build

And in some ways this seems harder to do since you have to make the greeblies instead of cutting them from existing kit sprues

And in some ways this seems harder to do since you have to make the greeblies instead of cutting them from existing kit sprues

Well, as we discussed earlier, maybe not? It helps a great deal that I don't have to be exact. Maybe? The worst thing so far is, there's numerous different pictures that are suppose to be what was seen on screen but each one has differences. Choosing which one has caused me to scrape off a couple pieces already and that I DON'T like. Tiny like they is, damage beyond repair and start over with a new piece happens very quickly.

Here's an example:

The original "on-screen" Galactica.

reara.jpg

The Galactica after it was restored back to "part for part".

rear.jpg

See my point? I hadn't noticed that being reversed on the "part for part" restoration which is the picture I was going by because I could see it somewhat better. Obviously that's wrong, so scraping it off occurred. I certainly don't like doing that!

Last edited:
I see what you mean

It sure can be confusing with the various pictures from different times and after a couple of repairs. To make things even more frustrating, who is to say the part for part restoration was done correctly anyway. (I am sure it was, just playing devil's advocate)

Like that back plate on the X-Wing. It may have fallen off and someone may have put back on in the wrong orientation for one picture and then it becomes canon. It can really drive people nuts trying to figure it out

One of the most perplexing things for me is trying to figure out which astromechs go in some of the various Y-Wings and X-Wings. DO I go with the one on the studio model. Except in some cases there are pictures with different ones in there. Then some have totally different live action ones

I think in the end you just go with what you like best in some places

Of course if you are not happy with it when you are done I am sure I could find a good home for it :lol:

Your trash bin must be a treasure trove of cool bits

I see what you mean

It sure can be confusing with the various pictures from different times and after a couple of repairs. To make things even more frustrating, who is to say the part for part restoration was done correctly anyway. (I am sure it was, just playing devil's advocate)

Devil's advocate applied again... Part for part may be the part that wasn't a part of it?

Like that back plate on the X-Wing. It may have fallen off and someone may have put back on in the wrong orientation for one picture and then it becomes canon. It can really drive people nuts trying to figure it out

One of the most perplexing things for me is trying to figure out which astromechs go in some of the various Y-Wings and X-Wings. DO I go with the one on the studio model. Except in some cases there are pictures with different ones in there. Then some have totally different live action ones

Star Wars is a whole different can of worms, you know that. I do likes me some Star Wars too though and you're right. This is correct for that one but not this one and this one if it's green...

Your trash bin must be a treasure trove of cool bits

Let me check... Chips of styrene... Paper towels super glued together with chips of styrene and somethin' sharp... Couple empty ZAPP'S tater chip bags... Somethin' orange... And... THAT'S IT! I ain't diggin' in there no more. Treasures be damned!

I've got no knowledge of the model, either the screen used version or post restoration, so I have no advice on that front... but I have to say that I've love what you've done with this build. Awesome work here (y)

I prefer that new orientation for the Saturn V part. Hopefully it wasn't too hard fixing it

from a "how can I improve this?" point of view, I might suggest just a little bit of gap filler putty on the left side (from the picture point of view) of that half round bit under the Saturn V part on top of the bigger half round bit

Although I think that area might wind up getting covered up by other bits anyway and will be hidden so it may be a moot point?

dscn0311-jpg.jpg

I've got no knowledge of the model, either the screen used version or post restoration, so I have no advice on that front... but I have to say that I've love what you've done with this build. Awesome work here (y)

Thank you Mr. Krats! You've got the same knowledge I got. I posted the pictures earlier I'm using. BOTH are suppose to be 100%, but like two guys on a street corner hollerin' "I'M *****"... One of 'em's wrong. ;)

"I got a bad feeling about this." -- WRONG MOVIE!!

oh filtercarb

There is no "wrong movie" quotes. Watch this... "Ask not what your country can do for you..." See, directly from 'Hang 'em High' and completely relevant!

Now, that "filtercarb" thing is just wrong. Ain't nobody gonna know what we're talking about with a carb.

I prefer that new orientation for the Saturn V part. Hopefully it wasn't too hard fixing it

No sir, it weren't too bad to remove at all. I used the normal method that everybody else uses. I strapped it down to my workbench with a loggin' chain, I wasn't sure if the chain was big enough, so I doubled it and tack welded the hook to the chain to make sure. Then, I wedged my crowbar in that gap at the top (with a flat screwdriver for leverage) and hooked my 1-1/2 ton chainfall to the crowbar. While my wife started coming up on the chainfall and got it in a bind pullin' up on the loggin' chain, I give it a full swing with my 16 pound maul.

Popped right off.

Little bit of clean up later... mostly the wall and window where I missed the first swing... It all went right back together as you now see it in the pictures.

Problem solved.

from a "how can I improve this?" point of view, I might suggest just a little bit of gap filler putty on the left side (from the picture point of view) of that half round bit under the Saturn V part on top of the bigger half round bit

I see it. I'm not sure where that came from, possibly from the removal technique earlier, but I may have to look into this fix more. I've tried my best using the "Squeeze it as hard as I can like a pimple that ain't ready yet" method, but that didn't quite did it. I haven't used any putty yet, so I may shave a little sliver of styrene and use that to fill the gap before I break out the ol' spot and glaze.

Although I think that area might wind up getting covered up by other bits anyway and will be hidden so it may be a moot point?

No sir, I will fix it. I'll have to, every time I look at this now, it's all I can see. They don't call you "Analyzer" for nothin'!

Okay, to clarify...

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

"filtercarb" is in reference to the fears that something is gonna go wrong. Toss that negativity aside!!

It is inspirational.

...but

If something didnt go wrong, it would be weird

In reality,

Now Im gonna hafta put some aluminum foil in my helmet

Attachments

• 20210704_190305.jpg
    20210704_190305.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back