Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Yeah, I scanned the decals and touched them up. I also made the red much deeper in color and replaced the name plate lettering with accurate versions found here on the RPF.
Very helpful guys, Thank y'all. Decals ain't so great I hope won't be a problem. At this point, I'm planning on paint, but if the decals end up being a fall back item, I'm taking notes.

Here is a super nice high res picture that probably came from someone on the RPF:

View attachment 1467490
Ok Mr. edge, BINGO! That's the Galactica I'm shooting for and as you can see, using the Modeler Magic pictures, because of the many pictures, angles and ability to enlarge them well, I was also using those, as witnessed from the SKDF's I replicated at the rear of the middle section on the kit. Checking this picture against those pictures, I caught on pretty quick. Even after calibrating my monitor, there were still pieces on one that wasn't on the other! ;) THIS, however, is where I wanna head with these mods. Thank you!

Here is an overhead shot:

View attachment 1467492

Not sure what kg stands for... Kuhn Global?
Yes sir, "kg" certainly is Mr. Kurt Kuhn. Another great shot Mr. edge and another example of the differences, but again, here's where I want to go. May not get there 100%, but I plan to work on them "snake scale" looking parts between those engine pipes in a little bit here. One thing that's got me fuzzled though, is, those SKDF's I made for that transition from the mid section to the rear, are either covered by what looks like a turret OR, I've made those pieces for nothin'.

Here's what I'm talking about.
024-a2.jpg
115.jpg

As I mentioned, I'm shooting for that top picture Galactica and may have wasted a little time with what I've built already, but I figure I can either just add that cover to what I've already put there? I don't know.

Thank you all for the replies folks! I apologize for the reply delay, but I need a minute or two and work all week, like most. Keep all y'all's experiences with this kit coming. I can't make notes unless y'all give me somethin' to note. I got a sharpened pencil right here ready to go!

kudos on taking on all the mods - great work! The final model is going look awesome!

For your awareness, I did see one of the usual vendors carrying decals for this kit. Now I cant comment on how they compare to the originals but might be worth keeping in the back of your mind should you find yourself in need of some. The vendor escapes me at the moment, but Im sure I could track it down if needed.

Hope its OK to share the following (will remove if inappropriate)

I've actually been working on this kit on and off for the last year. I pretty much went straight out of the box with no mods with the exception of putting in some lighting and some photoetched for the bays and engines. I did fiber for most of the lights with the exception of the engines and landing bays. It's still a work in progress so I haven't snipped the fiber yet.

Looking forward to see more progress pics of your work.

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

kudos on taking on all the mods - great work! The final model is going look awesome!

For your awareness, I did see one of the usual vendors carrying decals for this kit. Now I cant comment on how they compare to the originals but might be worth keeping in the back of your mind should you find yourself in need of some. The vendor escapes me at the moment, but Im sure I could track it down if needed.

Hope its OK to share the following (will remove if inappropriate)

I've actually been working on this kit on and off for the last year. I pretty much went straight out of the box with no mods with the exception of putting in some lighting and some photoetched for the bays and engines. I did fiber for most of the lights with the exception of the engines and landing bays. It's still a work in progress so I haven't snipped the fiber yet.

Looking forward to see more progress pics of your work.
Hello Mr. Vertex! If you're asking ME if it's "appropriate", then BY ALL MEANS, post anything you would like! Thank you very much for the reply and compliment, glad you like it!

Like you, I'm still working on mine, so I wanna see ANYONE who either has, or is, building or built this, yall brang 'em!!!

I have seen all the aftermaket things and they all look very nice. With this one, I don't plan on any of it, opting to try and modify what I can without it. I do, however, have another (as seen in my comparison pictures) and might just build it USING all the aftermarket stuff and then be able to compare both of those. I plan on lighting mine also, so certainly post away sir. What you're doing is looking MIGHTY FINE. Mighty fine indeed.

Please, dig around and check all the little scraps of paper on your desk and such and see if you can remember those decals. Like you said, I might just need that!

Yes sir, "kg" certainly is Mr. Kurt Kuhn. Another great shot Mr. edge and another example of the differences, but again, here's where I want to go. May not get there 100%, but I plan to work on them "snake scale" looking parts between those engine pipes in a little bit here. One thing that's got me fuzzled though, is, those SKDF's I made for that transition from the mid section to the rear, are either covered by what looks like a turret OR, I've made those pieces for nothin'.

View attachment 1468462View attachment 1468463

As I mentioned, I'm shooting for that top picture Galactica and may have wasted a little time with what I've built already, but I figure I can either just add that cover to what I've already put there? I don't know.
Yep, it sure looks like those areas were changed at some point. The only question is... when?

Yep, it sure looks like those areas were changed at some point. The only question is... when?

Exactly. Now we're getting on the same page! This type of knowledge doesn't mean as much to me as maybe some, because as I said, I don't plan on making a studio scale one, but to me that would seem important, especially since this would have a great deal to do with what $1500.00 kit you buy for your build. Apparently, many of those that ARE or PLAN to build a studio Galactica know of these differences. Most of those don't join in on a "kit" thread like this, so seeing pictures of what it looked like "on screen" is a hard thing to come by. I'm still digging through pictures, but so far... not finding much.

Please, dig around and check all the little scraps of paper on your desk and such and see if you can remember those decals. Like you said, I might just need that!

Will do. I'm about to go out the door but give me a day or so and you'll have that info.

Mr. edge, here's a little more along those lines of discussion. This Moebius kit was based on the Galactica as it appears in those pictures from Modeler Magic, before the restoration and after it was filmed for the series. There are numerous pieces that are missing in those pictures. It makes things like I plan to do next, tougher. I plan on spending some time today working on this:

scales.jpg

Having very little idea what that is from a real kit, it's not easy to replicate. Without putting anyone out following this thread, would anyone have a good picture of that area or perhaps know what real kit those pieces are from?

About to PM you the link of the decals. It looks like there are enough decals for two full applications - sans the names, which there are only 3 of each. It does provide somewhat of a safety margin should things go bad.

It’s really coming out great Eagle-1 and Vertex your is rocking along as well. The devil is in the details and eventually when it’s all said and done some small detail gets missed, but the only who notices is the builders. Fans of the model will just be left in awe at the level details. Keep up the great work! I have both Moebius Galactica and Pegasus in my stash closet no free time to tackle them, but they will get built at some in all their glory!

View attachment 1468462View attachment 1468463

Here are a couple of publicity shots, showing they look like the replica and not the pre-refurb:

Panorama%20Gal02.jpg
Battlestar_Original_Miniature_18.jpg

It’s really coming out great Eagle-1 and Vertex your is rocking along as well. The devil is in the details and eventually when it’s all said and done some small detail gets missed, but the only who notices is the builders. Fans of the model will just be left in awe at the level details. Keep up the great work! I have both Moebius Galactica and Pegasus in my stash closet no free time to tackle them, but they will get built at some in all their glory!
Thank you Mr. enterprise! Did them kits out and join in! Make time. If you have to, call in sick or take some well deserved vacation time. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back